New England and Eastern Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary

Here is Betty's blog of our 2008 trip to the Maritimes...http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,17467.0.html

Terry A. Brewer said:
Gary

Here is Betty's blog of our 2008 trip to the Maritimes...http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,17467.0.html

Newfoundland is only part of Atlantic Canada where as Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick are both part of the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada. Confusing, I know.

Too bad they missed NS.  I enjoyed  her blogging..  I was hoping to here her comments about the cabot trail.  I live in he Annapolis valley which is becoming the napa valley of canada ...I think we have 9 vineyards..my fav being Gaspereaux valley.

We have traveled very little in NB (other than to my daughter's university and MX tracks)..and have considered it mainly a roadway to get to Ontario, the states or PEI.  We hope to explore it when we retire.

All the comments above are good, but I would recommend reservations for both the July 1st week end and the first week end in August, which is  a municipal/Provincial holiday in many parts of Canada.
    My list of must sees:  A)NS
1) Habitation Port Royal, the 2nd oldest European Settlement in North America
2) Blomidon Look Off, a sacred Indian look off over the Annapolis Valley
3) Chester, Mahone Bay, & Lunenburg, each unique fishing vollages
4) Halifax, the only city founded by Royal decree
5) Fortress Louisburg
6) Cabot Trail
7) Miner's  Museum, and Ann Murray's Museum in SpringhillM
B) NB
1) Upper Saint John River Valley Edmunston to Fredericton
2) Kings Landing
3) Saint John
4) Saint Martins
5) Acadian Peninsula
6) Parlee Beach (where our summer home is located)
C) PEI
1) Anywhere on the whole Island in the summer
2) Kensington/Malpeque area
3) Cavendish, including Anne of Green Gables' house
4) Montague

These are but a few highlights, and all will be in Provincial information brochures, along with local parks.

As for New England, we stay either at Wampatuc State Park in Hingham MA for Boston, or at Salisbury SP for the beach.  We love the White Mountains which are in both NH & ME.  Acadia NP, not too far from Bangor is a must see, and you will be able to have a mini Rally with Gary RV Roamer who summers there.
  There is just so much to see and do along the east coast, as there is all along your route to get east.  Keep in touch as you head out and we'll try to help with suggestions.

Ed

Gary,

I see that most of the responses are directed toward Canada.

My favorite canpground in the entire country is located near St. Johnsbury, Vermont.  The owners, Gary and Mary are like family to me.

The campgrpund has about 50 sites nestled into a bend of the Moose River east of town.  They are as most campgrounds up north are, a seasonal operation.

They have all kinds of activities usually on weekends.  Music, pig roasts, pumpkin carving, and all kinds of other things are part of the mix.

The campground is called Moose River Campground.

Here is a picture of the campground.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/PSUITEWP.png

Great list.

I shall add a few more..

. Peggy's Cove - the most famous vista ever ?
. The Ovens
. Wine Tour (Wolfville)
, The Busker Festival  (Haifax)
. The Bluenose...a new one was just built but they kept the older name - Bluenose2..they usually does tours of the harbour..

In PEI, if you like Lobster, they there are tons of places to eat..the church suppers are the best or in Rustico.
Old Home week..very busy

Salisbury Beach State Park in northern MA near the New Hampshire line has camping at the beach it is busy in the summer so reservations would be required.

Gary, each one of the Canadian provinces has a booklet for tourists.  It usually is broken into sections within the province and includes all the sights of interest as well as campgrounds.  Go to the provincial websites to locate and order the tourist booklets you want.  We've been to the Maritimes several times and have never made reservations.  But do pay attention to Canadian holidays.  Our Fourth of July and Canada Day usually are within a day or so of one another.  The steep grades generally aren't very long.  They usually exist because the roads go up and over peninsulas along the coast.  In Newfoundland the steepest grade was about 19% but it wasn't more than a mile long.  I believe we drove the Cabot Trail in maybe our 30' LazyDaze and stayed overnight about half way around.  We didn't have a car then.

I'll also put in a plug for Newfoundland - but I'd leave it for another trip because you'll need at least a month to do it justice!  By the way Canada has a number of World Heritage sites and they're all worth a visit.  You're in for a wonderful trip!

ArdraF 

Gary

We followed the Brewers and Russ by a month in 2008 and here is the record of our trip that year. Loved NFLD and wish we had planned more than the month we were there.

grassy said:
You didn't mention anything about associations that you belong to.  Ian

We have the basic ones, Passport America, Good Sams, AARP, AAA. 

We do not belong to any of the membership groups, like Thousand Trails.  Thought about it but it just doesn't make sense based on our preference for National, state and local parks.  However, if the best (meaning conveniently located) New England area campgrounds are as pricey as I've seen, a month in the area could end up costing between $1500 - $2000.  In that case, I'd take a closer look at joining one. 

HappyWanderer said:
I wouldn't do the Cabot Trail in a motorhome, especially towing a car. There are steep hills and switchbacks to deal with. You'll fit, but you won't enjoy the ride or the scenery.
  Duly noted.  I have ADHD and have a tendency to forget I'm sightseeing in a rather large vehicle. 

I can highly recommend Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park, but you won't want to take the motorhome downtown or on the park loop road. The lowest bridge in the park is 11' 8" and if you look closely, you'll notice the tour buses are low profile.
  I'll have to check but I suspect we're under 11'8".  Thanks for the headsup. 

I'm not sure how you'll you'll make out without reservations on the weekends; this is a popular area with a short season. I once ended up backtracking almost to Boston because I couldn't find a site between Portsmouth and Rockland.
  This is actually a big concern.  Normally I'd just pull into a rest area or Walmart.  However from what I've been reading, that not as easily done in the area. 

Ken & Sheila said:
>>Now I just have to interest you in Newfoundland..the friendliest place on earth<<

We spent a month in Newfoundland in 2013 and wish we had more time. We truly enjoyed the people we met there and yes they are very friendly and welcoming.

ken

We would love to spend some time in Newfoundland.  However it sounds like a separate trip makes more sense. 

Terry A. Brewer said:
Gary

Terry, thanks for the link.  I just peeked and saw 15 pages of posts.  When I'm through reading, I'm sure I'll have some questions. 

Hfx_Cdn said:
    All the comments above are good, but I would recommend reservations for both the July 1st week end and the first week end in August, which is  a municipal/Provincial holiday in many parts of Canada.
    My list of must sees:  A)NS
1) Habitation Port Royal, the 2nd oldest European Settlement in North America
2) Blomidon Look Off, a sacred Indian look off over the Annapolis Valley
3) Chester, Mahone Bay, & Lunenburg, each unique fishing vollages
4) Halifax, the only city founded by Royal decree
5) Fortress Louisburg
6) Cabot Trail
7) Miner's  Museum, and Ann Murray's Museum in SpringhillM
B) NB
1) Upper Saint John River Valley Edmunston to Fredericton
2) Kings Landing
3) Saint John
4) Saint Martins
5) Acadian Peninsula
6) Parlee Beach (where our summer home is located)
C) PEI
1) Anywhere on the whole Island in the summer
2) Kensington/Malpeque area
3) Cavendish, including Anne of Green Gables' house
4) Montague

These are but a few highlights, and all will be in Provincial information brochures, along with local parks.

As for New England, we stay either at Wampatuc State Park in Hingham MA for Boston, or at Salisbury SP for the beach.  We love the White Mountains which are in both NH & ME.  Acadia NP, not too far from Bangor is a must see, and you will be able to have a mini Rally with Gary RV Roamer who summers there.
  There is just so much to see and do along the east coast, as there is all along your route to get east.  Keep in touch as you head out and we'll try to help with suggestions.

Ed

Ed, great list.  Thank you.  Let me know if you and Donna will be back in the area during July.  Gary

HueyPilotVN said:
Gary,

I see that most of the responses are directed toward Canada.

My favorite canpground in the entire country is located near St. Johnsbury, Vermont.  The owners, Gary and Mary are like family to me.

The campgrpund has about 50 sites nestled into a bend of the Moose River east of town.  They are as most campgrounds up north are, a seasonal operation.

They have all kinds of activities usually on weekends.  Music, pig roasts, pumpkin carving, and all kinds of other things are part of the mix.

The campground is called Moose River Campground.

Here is a picture of the campground.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/PSUITEWP.png
Bill, you're right.  It's easy to get excited about Canada and forget that we'll be in the New England area just as long.  Moose River looks like a great place to kick back. If we get their will let them know you pointed us in their direction. 

By the way, Maria mentioned that if you like, we can send your our routing.  I mean, just in case you want to tag along.  Of course you'll need to bring the garage workshop with you.  ;) 

grassy said:
Great list.

I shall add a few more..

. Peggy's Cove - the most famous vista ever ?
. The Ovens
. Wine Tour (Wolfville)
, The Busker Festival  (Haifax)
. The Bluenose...a new one was just built but they kept the older name - Bluenose2..they usually does tours of the harbour..

In PEI, if you like Lobster, they there are tons of places to eat..the church suppers are the best or in Rustico.
Old Home week..very busy

I'm beginning to think I don't have enough days to see everything. 

Maria claims she can eat Lobster every day.  I guess we'll find out. 

pml said:
Salisbury Beach State Park in northern MA near the New Hampshire line has camping at the beach it is busy in the summer so reservations would be required.

I like the idea of camping at the beach.  I'm hoping school is in session when we're in the area and we're  able to camp during the week without reservations. 

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread.  We are planning our first camping trip to Nova Scotia for late spring.  We well start by visiting friends in VA Beach, go up the eastern shore, take the Lewes-Cape May ferry, then stay close to the coast as we work our way to Maine.  The trip reports here were extremely interesting.  Love this forum.

ArdraF said:
I believe we drove the Cabot Trail in maybe our 30' LazyDaze and stayed overnight about half way around.  We didn't have a car then.
[/quote]

Ardra, if we do the trail with the Aerbus we'll probably spend one night at a campground.  If you recall the name of the place where you stayed, let me know. 

Jeff said:
Gary

We followed the Brewers and Russ by a month in 2008 and here is the record of our trip that year. Loved NFLD and wish we had planned more than the month we were there.

Jeff, thanks for the link.  I took a quick look and saw some of your the pix.  Between you and the Brewers, I may not need the travel bureaus.  ;)  Gary

Gary, read all the trip logs in the library re the maritimes.  By the time you get done, you'll have a great idea of what you want to see and do.  I also have an excel spread sheet of our locations, mileage, cost and rating of the places we went.  However we did not boondock or look for the least expensive  ;) ....just things we wanted to see and do.

Don't do Cabot trail in the motorhome.  It's basically a side trip that looks a little like Highway 1 in California, but not nearly as dramatic.

Also, you hit a summer with a great exchange rate in favor of the U.S.  Expect to pay higher fuel and food costs as well as campground fees....but it's worth it.  BTW, we LOVED Newfoundland, but you'll have to hit that another time with your time frame.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom