New England and Eastern Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In terms of scenery, the best is yet to come! Just wait until you get to Maine.

If you're going to be there for a few days, I can offer some suggestions. Portsmouth, NH is a great old New England port city. The best way to see it is by water, and there are tours available. Isle of Shoals Steamship Company has a great harbor cruise. The absolute best view of Portsmouth harbor is from Fort McClary state park on Route 103 in Kittery, ME.

No trip to the area would be complete without visiting York Beach and Ogunquit, ME. In Ogunquit, the Marginal Way is a 1.5 mile cliffwalk with the best views of the southern Maine coastline. If you can find Israel Head Road, there are a half-dozen free parking spots next to the path.

There is enough to see and do that you don't really need any help filling your schedule, but those are a few of our favorite places.

There is enough to see and do that you don't really need any help filling your schedule, but those are a few of our favorite places.

Thanks for the heads up.  Not sure how long well be in Me, but most likely two weeks.  Hopefully we'll find a park outside Acadia and stay there for a week. 

After seven weeks and more than 5,000 miles on the motorhome and another 1,500 on the HHR, we slowing down the pace.  After spending a week in Connecticut and 4 days on the Cape I'm beginning to appreciate a more park time and less highway driving.  We will likely be at this park for 4 or 5 days and then move to the beach which is only 10 to 15 miles away.  Hampton Beach State Park just South of the town looks pretty nice.  All they have is overflow parking on the grass, but it's right on the water and we can stay there for 2 or 3 days.  That puts us back on the road Sunday, which is a good day to look for a new park. 

So far, we've not had any problems finding a place to spend the night.  However, with school almost out, that's going to get a bit more challenging.  One of the things that has helped up to this point is the extended school year and many kids being in class through the 3rd week in June.  Apparently they had so many snow days this past winter, they've extended the school year.  Thanks kids.      ;) 

Gary, we are now at our summer place at Parlee Beach, NB.  It is only about a 10 minute diversion off of the TCH on your way through to NS, or a 2 minute one on your way to PEI.  We will have company off and on over the next week or so, but PM me when you get your timing down and maybe we can get together.

Ed

Thanks Ed.  We plan on being in Canada for almost a month.  I will send you a PM when we're in the area and hopefully we can get together with you and Donna.

Gary what camp ground are you at. Headed for Wakeda in Hampton Falls on Friday.

We're at Wakeda now.  It's a very nice park and only 10 miles to the beach.  We're here until Thursday AM and then moving to the beach. 

We got the Passport rate of $24 a night for full hookups.  They told us we could have it for 6 nights.  Most of the almost 400 spots are long term family types.  The few transient spots they have fill up pretty quickly. 

The beach is only dry camping but at $30 a night and $15 to use the dump station, it's a pretty good deal for this area.  We plan to stay there 3 nights.  We have a white with green trim Rexhall Aerbus.  If you have some time, stop down and say hello. 

Gary

Thanks for update. Have reservations for two sites side by side. Will see what schedule looks like.

You were right on camp ground very nice. Had site B24. Was going to stop by on Sunday before we left but as you know that was a wash out. Good luck on the rest of you journey.

John

Glad you liked the place.  We stayed an extra day and left Friday morning.  The DW left her wallet in Salem MA and we needed to return the next morning to retrieve it.  So a Thursday move was out of the question.  Friday AM, we were off to Hampton Beach State Park, a short 20 minute drive, to set up in their dry camping area.  The location was great and we enjoyed two beautiful days.  Walked about a 1 mile to see the sand sculptures.  They had some great sculptures and it was well worth the walk.  If any of you step counters are reading this, 15,000 steps that day.  ;)

Sunday was a bit wet and we pretty much stayed put. 

Gary

We were at Camden Hills State Park for 6 days.  Long enough to see much of the area and avoid trying to find a place during the July 4th Holiday.  Camden has several first come first serve spots with water and electric.  It doesn't have much to offer except for a tower that sits on top of a rather long, 1 1/2 mile road that goes to the top of a mountain.  Actually it's more like a hill.  The views are spectacular.  We were going to watch the fireworks from the top but when we went to drive up, the road was closed.  They only allow so many vehicles in the parking area.  We were about 15 minutes from dark thirty and that 1 1/2 mile road with at least a 500 foot elevation gain would have taken 45 minutes to traverse so we decided to watch the fireworks from the mosquito free environment of our Aerbus.  Sadly we weren't quite high enough to see anything other than a few clouds that lit up a bit.  So Sunday the 5th, we took off and headed north.  Oh how I love those 65 miles travel days.  We haven't fueled the Aerbus for 3 weeks.  Damn, I can feel all that gas money burning a hole in my pants. 

We've been at our current location for 5 days.  It's 15 miles from Acadia National Park and we've been there 3 times so far.  I think we've covered most of the touristy things and even took a drive to Winter Harbor, the other, less visited part of Acadia which is not directly accessible from the main portion of the park.  It's basically just a drive around the smaller perimeter of the park which only a few fishing villages.  Still worth a visit if you're interested in the sheer beauty of an area.  Tomorrow will be another visit to the main part of the park.  This time it's with the bikes.  There are tons of bike trails and so far we've been talking about hiking and biking more than actually hiking and biking.  Although if memory serves, yesterday I had my share of aches and pains after a fair amount of foot travel. 

The park we're at is called Timberlake and is just a few miles from Narrows Too.  We considered that but the Passport rate doesn't apply this time of year.  Timberland is a large family style park with probably 75 pull throughs for short terms guests.  The pull throughs are all large with the largest being in excess of 200 feet.  We have a small one which must be 100 feet long.  The site has decent WiFi and our own Verizon Aircard works just as well.  The weekly rate for 30 amps is $325 which is about what I expected to pay in the area.  Based on the number of luxury tag axle motorhomes I'd say it's one of the more popular parks. 

In addition to Acadia, we've taken a long day trip Northeast of Bangor.  Pretty country but not much to see or do.  We drove up to Bangor previously when we were at Camden Hills State park.  We had high expectations of seeing a Moose or two on the trip but thus far have only seen one deer.  A surprising lack of wildlife.  That said, we did see an Osprey nest with three chicks yesterday.  That was after observing two Bald Eagles who appeared to be observing the visitors looking for wild animals.  On our way back to the camp sight Maria spotted what she thought was another large bird.  It turned out to be a fledgling eagle that looked almost full grown.  He was picking at what most likely was the remains of an unfortunate deer that was half covered by water in a pond.

If memory serves I think I said the NH Coast was the most beautiful of any we've seen.  That was before we spent two days exploring the rest of the area which included the areas as far south as Salem MA and as far north as Belfast ME.  I must say, this is one beautiful area.  There is so much to see and do it's mind boggling.  There are so many small towns that dot the coast deciding which ones to explore is a real challenge.  Each one has it's own uniqueness and beauty.  And not to offend, but personally, I think the East Coast has far more to offer than the West.  Not that the West Coast lacks for beauty but it's just different.  Also, it's relatively new and doesn't have the history of New England.  If it was only closer. 

Tomorrow is wash day.  In addition to one or two loads of laundry, that Maria's responsible for, I get to wash The Aerbus and HHR.  I did 5 load of laundry yesterday while Maria cleaned the inside of the Aerbus.  It's amazing how two cats can turn a fairly clean motorhome into a hairy mess.  The next motorhome is definitely going to have a Splendide if not a washer and dryer.  Oh, it's also going to be long enough to accommodate them and a king size bed.  Two plus months in the 32 foot non-slide Aerbus and I'm almost ready for the farm. 

We still haven't figured out where we're going next which is Sunday Morning.  We'll probably spend another week in Maine and then cross over into Canada.  I'm going to have to review the early posts of this thread so we don't enter during one of the two Canadian Holidays we were warned about. 

Hope you're all have a great summer. 

Enjoying your commentary, Gary.  Don't miss Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail area!

ArdraF

Thanks Ardra.  It's Saturday AM and I'm thinking about money.  Cash actually.  Maria used to take a bunch of cash when we traveled and I would get upset since it's so easy to get cash.  This time, Murphy's law seems to have struck.  Maria's cash hoard was probably less than $100.00 when we left.  I had my usual $50 - $75.00.  Should have been Fine.  However, one of Maria's Credit/ATM cards was cancelled because of a bank wide breach.  They sent her another.  It's in our mail back in L. A.  My primary cash card expired in May.  The new one arrived in our mail box a day or two after we left.  The expiration date on the card was almost unreadable and I totally missed it.  I called my Credit Union and asked what I could do.  They advised that I could go to any member CU and write a check.  I figured we'd be fine.  It's Saturday morning, most CU's are closed and we're heading north tomorrow.  The only member CU's in Canada are in Quebec and Ontario.  None in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.  It looks like we'll be visiting Walmart's more frequently and getting cash back.  Hopefully they won't suspend our card AGAIN.  Seems they get uncomfortable when they get a lot of charges from out of state.  I called and asked about it and was told that if they see activity away from the home area for more than two months, they automatically put a hold on the card.  :mad:  I'm beginning to get concerned about the checkless cashless society.  ;)

As far as viewing coastlines, you will need to see New Brunswick's and PEI's coastlines.  NB is unique with it's rugged Bay of Fundy with tides that exceed 50 feet at times, and the Acadian Route with it warm sandy beaches, and quaint Acadian fishing villages. 
    As for dates to be cautious about, the one is past, July 1st, our Canada Day, the equivalent to your July 4th, the other is the August 3rd week end, the first Monday in august every year, which is really a series of Provincial holidays in most Canadian Provinces.  It is a good reason to party, so campgrounds fill up that week end.  However, from what I've seen this year, most campgrounds are not full.
    The summer place that we share with my brother is located at Parlee Beach, in the warm sandy beach area.  We are here until around month end.  We do have some commitments, so PM me as your plans firm so that we can get together to tell lies about everyone.
      Glad to see that you are enjoying your trip to the northeast.  While, we enjoy our trip west, we far prefer the east cost, if only summers were a tad bit longer.

Ed

This is my 3rd attempt to upload pictures.  Each time I either don't have a strong enough connection or the photos I try to attach enlarge from the time I download them until I try to upload them.  Maybe this is just a problem with MACS.  In any event, I'll try again. 

The Kring Point photos are from our site at the NY State Park.  The Maumelle photo is from the Corp park Kim Bertram recommended. 

Hopefully these will load and I can get back to downsizing photos. 

Attachments

• Kring Point State Park NY 2.JPG
    Kring Point State Park NY 2.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Kring Point State Park NY.jpg
    Kring Point State Park NY.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Maumelle AR.JPG
    Maumelle AR.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 16
A few more that I attempted to upload last month.

The Sevierville photos are from a TVA campground about 15 miles from the Great Smokey Mountain National Park.  The river is downstream of the Douglas Dam.  TVA parks are similar to Corp of Engineer parks.  All we could get was dry camping since we were squeezing in on the Memorial Day Weekend.  Squeezing in since our 32 footer was in a Tent spot. 

The Cumberland pix is of a young man who was braving the cold and rain on the shores of Lake Champlain with his board and kite. 

Attachments

• Sevierville TN.JPG
    Sevierville TN.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Sevierville TN 2 Leo.JPG
    Sevierville TN 2 Leo.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Cumberland Bay State Park NY 2.JPG
    Cumberland Bay State Park NY 2.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 16
Would you believe, 1 months and no posts.  :-[  Well we're back in L.A., and after a week recovering from a 4 month 9,500 journey, I'm starting to regain some energy.  Here is the last post.  It's rather long but then it covers a bunch of stuff. 

Our last few days in the States were spent at Sunset Point RV Park in LEBEC Maine.  LEBEC is a small fishing village with not much going on other than being the US port of entry to Roosevelt Campobello International Park.  Campobello is a US/Canadian owned island accessible on the US side by vehicle over a short bridge.  It is also accessible by ferry from the Canadian side.  Its a small island and well worth a visit.  There?s a short narrated tour of the Roosevelt home which includes a history of the island where FDR vacationed there as a child. 

Sunset Point RV Park is a small campground advertised as the Eastern most campground in the lower 48.  It is located on a bay about a mile from the bridge to Campobello Island.  The sites are can accommodate 40 footers and offer water and electric.  Most have a great view of the bay. 

Other than a day on the Island and our continuing search for that elusive moose, (there?s probably more than one in Maine), there?s not much to do in LEBEC.  After 3 days of some leisurely road trips exploring the area looking for a Moose, we headed to Calais ME and crossed into Canada.  Surely we?d find those elusive animals in Canada.   

Boarder crossing was easy and after a few minutes we were at the Visitor Center.  Maria was mapping up while I found a bank and exchanged a few US $$$ for Canadian $$$?s.  The exchange rate has become quite favorable over the past few years. 

Our first stop after leaving the visitor center was St. John, an easy one hour drive along a great divided highway.  Finally some decent roads.  We spent a week in St. John and were able to explore most of the area from St. Andrews and St. Martin to just below Moncton. 

Saint John is the largest city in the Province of New Brunswick and a good location to visit many of the areas great attractions.  It is also home to one of several reversing waterfalls.  While not exactly a waterfall, it?s the churning action created when two bodies of water moving in opposite directions meet.  Quite interesting to watch but don?t fall in.   

If you?re interested in nature and the natural beauty of an area the Fundy Parkway Trail is a must see.  While the trail is not long, it is peppered with viewing points and requires a half day to do it right.  The road is a bit of a roller coaster ride with significant grades.  If I recall, one was about 19%.  Fortunately they are short and very doable in a car.  For those inclined, it also has many hiking trails. 

One of the more interesting things we saw during the day were the many fishing vessels lying on their side in the mud during low tide.  When we returned from our drive along the trail, those same boats were floating in water.  A daily occurrence with any vessel moored in the Bay. 

The Bay of Fundy has some of the highest Tides in the world.  In some places the tides rise 1 inch a minute.  Think about it.  If you?re 5 feet tall and walking on the beach, you better know how to swim.  Hopewell Rocks for example claims 50 foot tides.  The admission to the Hopewell Rocks includes a free second day visit.  The tide comes in twice a day so high to low takes approximately 6 hours.  Consequently it takes too long to see both the high and low water levels in a single day. 

As we were driving to the Trail, we observed a few adventurous types in kayaks exploring sea caves accessible only by boat, or so we thought.  Later that same day, as we were leaving the Trail, we saw people walking into those same sea caves now fully accessible by foot with only a foot or two of water to cross before stepping onto the muddy ocean floor inside the caves.  Of course Maria had to take some pictures from the inside of those caves.  So we stopped for lunch at a nearby restaurant on the bay with a view of the caves.  As the water level continued to subside the ocean floor became increasingly accessible allowing relatively easy exploration of the caves by foot.  So after a quick lunch, we were off to the caves.  A great way to conclude our week in St. John.     

Our next stop was at Shediac NB, the summer home of Hfx Ed and Donna.  Ed has room for a 40 footer in his back yard.  Our 32 footer slid right in.  Once hooked up to Ed?s electric we were good to go.  Weather was pleasant so no AC necessary.  That?s always a concern because of the furbies. 

The beauty of visiting an area with a local is getting to see parts of that area most visitors will never see.  In fact, I?m pretty sure we saw areas of New Brunswick most Canadians have never seen.  Thanks to the generosity of Ed and his lovely bride Donna, we had two enjoyable days in Shediac.  One of the highlights of our short stay was seeing the same Hopewell Rocks from across the bay.  In fact, the water had dropped so much it almost appeared as if we could walk to the Rocks.  However, considering how quickly that water rises, that probably wouldn?t be a good idea. 

After saying goodbye to Ed and Donna, we were off to Nova Scotia.  Not sure where we?d spend the next night, we stopped at the visitor center to map up.  We also needed a few supplies and decided to make a quick trip to the local Walmart.  Would you believe, while walking one of the isles, I ran right into Loretta Dodd, the better half of Team Lola.  The Big Larry appeared within minutes.  What a pleasant surprise.  Larry gave me directions to the park where they and the Wishards were camped so after saying see ya latter, we drove to the campground and paid for a night.  We could could only get one night so left the next morning for a small park at Spencer?s Island. 

Driving to Spencer?s Island turned out to be quite an adventure.  One of the more challenging drives.  Hills and twists on roads that needed a bit of work.  Did I mention how wonderful the roads in Canada were?  Still we made it without mishap and spent two days at a full hookup park with spectacular views.  At high tide, the narrow stretch of land with about 25 sites that could accommodate a 40 footer had water both in front and behind the motorhome.  While the high tide would cover most of the muddy beach in the front, the water behind us never got too deep.  The downside to the park was a good storm could leave a motorhome standing in several inches of water.  Not that big a deal if it wasn?t for the fact that it would appear as if the motorhome was parked in the middle of the ocean.  Not being a swimmer, that would leave me feeling quite uncomfortable. 

After two days at Spencers Island, we headed to Halifax to rejoin the Dodds and Wishards for an enjoyable week at King Neptune Island, a small no frills park about 45 minutes SW of Halifax.  King Neptune is only a few miles from Peggy?s Cove, a touristy area with some great hiking on rocks that are safe while dry but quite dangerous when wet.  While the campground was pretty basic it was a great base to explore some of the many attractions in the area. 

One of the highlights of our week at King Neptune was a day trip to Lunenburg.  Now Lunenburg isn? that far and can be done in less than an hour if you stick to the highway.  But we took the more scenic drive with stops at Chester and Mahone Bay.  All in all, this was an all day adventure.  These fishing villages are well worth a visit and are absolute 10?s on a 1 to 10 scale.  We didn?t explore Halifax too much since, I?m not too keen on large cities.  Halifax is not huge, but it?s close to 1/2 million people.  We did drive into town one day to visit the Maritime Museum.  Normally I?m not big on museums, but this one is well worth a visit. 

We finish the week at King Neptune on the 3rd of August.  That was exactly three months into what started out to be a 5 or 6 month trip.  At least that?s what Maria had in mind.  My idea was maybe 4 months. To say the least, I was pretty tired and ready to head back.  While we hadn?t done the Cabot Trail and PEI, we had a great trip and saw more than I ever imagined.  The Cabot Trail and PEI would have to wait.  It also gives us reason to return.  So on the 3rd of August, we began the return portion of our trip. 

Halifax to Los Angeles can be done in 3,600 mile.  We did it in a bit over 4,100.  We decided to take the northern route since we thought the weather might be cooler and there were areas we hadn?t been to.  Areas like Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa.  So two days in each city and some incredible site seeing.  Now most everyone has heard of these major cities, but how many have been to or heard of some of the smaller cities.  For example, Riviere-du-lup and Trois Rivieres.  Those are two of the wonderful cities we stayed at while driving from Edmundston to Quebec City and eventually Montreal and Ottawa.  If you have a bucket list, consider adding them.  They will give you a flavor of Canada unlike any of the larger cities. 

From Ottawa, we headed to Sault Ste Marie before turning south to Wisconsin to spend a week with two of my daughters and grand daughter.  Once we said our goodbyes to the kids, we headed west toward Los Angeles.  We did some long hard days so we could spend time in some areas we breezed through last year.  Areas like Deadwood and Spearfish.  Maria played the penny slots and got lucky.  We left Deadwood $150.00 ahead. 

Next,we spent 3 days in Cody Wyoming.  We stayed at the Cody State Park.  A great park along side a reservoir.  The last time we stayed in the park was 2006 when we camped in the back of our  F250.  That was our pre-rving days. 

Not wanting to challenge the Aerbus any more than necessary, we decided to forgo driving through the park on the return trip.  The trip into the Cody area required one stop to let the V10 cool down and disconnect the toad.  Only time the engine overheated.  Actually it never went into the red.  But it was climbing.  Another time the brakes were smoking as Maria followed me down a steep grade.  So rather than risk problems on a long uphill grade into the park, we opted to backtrack a bit and head Southeast through Worland and Thermopolis.  On these back woods road, we discovered another area we plan on returning to.  It?s the Wind River Canyon area which lies between Thermopolis and Shoshoni Wy.  What an amazing country.  From then, it?s a bit of a blur.  Maybe too much driving or maybe asleep at the wheel but I think we were back in L.A. in three days. 

The old Aerbus performed admirably.  In one year and 3 months, we?ve logged 19,000 miles.  This latest trip added about 9,500 miles which along with maybe 5,000 in the toad is way more than I anticipated.  We had a few minor issues but no show stoppers.  Things like the rear view camera that stopped working when we got to Truro NS.  After a few days, it decided to start working again.  But then it would work for a while and quite.  Seemed to be bump sensitive.  For the last three days, it?s worked flawlessly.  Go figure.  Then the leaks.  Leaking from the front AC.  Enough to discolor the ceiling around the AC. Then it stopped.  No more leak.  More rain but no leak.  Go figure.  Also from the front just behind the front marker lights.  Dripping but no apparent source to any specific area in the roof.  Then it stopped.  More rain but no more leak.  After all the time at Camping World in OK city fixing the lights, the front turn signal still doesn?t work.  All in all, excellent performance from a 16 year old gasser with 91,000 miles.  The old Ford V10 never skipped a beat.  Well one minor beat.  A vacuum hose replaced in Watertown NY.  Then no more service engine lights and no more hard shifts. 

It does indeed! It brought back lots of good memories.  We love visiting the Maritimes.  We took that little car ferry south to Campobello.  Because of the tides, it has to be planned carefully.  We also loved the Bay of Fundy and had a blast walking down among the Hopewell Rocks.  Glad you got to see them.  It's hard to imagine the beach when the tide is in.

ArdraF

Great trip and write up.  Thanks for sharing.  We started up that way in early June.  When we got into Maine the cool, damp weather caused Lou's arthritis to flair up.  No need continuing if she couldn't enjoy it.  So, we turned around for the long trip back to Tennessee.  We plan to do it again.  Your description was a great help in our sorting out things to do up there.

Back
Top Bottom