Where can I live in the meantime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ginette1952

We have decided now is the time to sell our house, store what we want to keep and become fulltimers in our fifth wheel.  We are living in Ontario and want to remain here to keep our health insurance.  The problem we are facing is most campgrounds open in May and close beginning of October.  We can be in the USA only six months, so we are coming up short on where we can stay for a month or so in Canada.  We don't really want to stay in someone's driveway for this length of time so if anyone has any suggestions, we would really appreciate it.  Thanks so much.

Ginette1952 said:
We have decided now is the time to sell our house, store what we want to keep and become fulltimers in our fifth wheel.  We are living in Ontario and want to remain here to keep our health insurance.  The problem we are facing is most campgrounds open in May and close beginning of October.  We can be in the USA only six months, so we are coming up short on where we can stay for a month or so in Canada.  We don't really want to stay in someone's driveway for this length of time so if anyone has any suggestions, we would really appreciate it.  Thanks so much.
Simply go more south, such as south AZ and then they should  be open in the winter months.

IOW, go more south for the winter.

Or even this area near SF. Pacifica, CA  has a RV park on the ocean, but is a bit pricy. It is open all year. Often our winters have better warmer weather than summer here. Sometimes a lot of fog here in July.

It's just a few days back to Canada, such as Vancouver from here.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Don, Ginette's problem is that they'll run out of the allowable days in the US (probably for their Canadian health insurance), so they need a place to stay in Canada for a month or so before coming down to the US.

Tom said:
Don, Ginette's problem is that they'll run out of the allowable days in the US (probably for their Canadian health insurance), so they need a place to stay in Canada for a month or so before coming down to the US.
Yeah, I read that too fast. I re-read it after my post.  I was editing my post (added last line) as you sent me that. BTW, isn't Peace Arch RV park in Vancouver open all year?

But Pacifica is only a few days from Canada and I know it is open all year.

-Don-  SSF, CA

There are several RV parks open all year in the Vancouver area.  It does freeze there in the winter, so winterizing is a must.

Just guessing: Sounds like a perfect rv boon docking opportunity if Canadian local issues will allow. Start an internet search "boon docking in Ontario."

Really is more a local question. Maybe a local rv association or rv dealer could help with better more creative guidance??? 

Not possible to rent some space in an rv park or mobile park, rather than a campground?

I'm guessing that stealth mode is easier in a class a than a 5th.

Could you park your 5th at a storage facility and go live with some friends?

See
http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/Ontario-boondocking.html

excerpts per that website

"Even in Ontario, I have managed to find free boondocking locations. As a woman traveling alone, when I started out, I wasn't sure how much I could count on finding Ontario boondocking places that felt safe. I'm amazed myself! Nothing can compare to the campsites we find on our travels through the southern States because, here in Ontario, we don't have as much accessible "public land." However, finding or "creating" a safe boondocking spot for one night at a time turns out to be fairly easy, if you put my mind to it. For me, this worked perfectly on this trip, which was all about exploring a new area for a day or two and then moving on."

"All you have to do is be nice and ask permission. Yep, Ontario boondocking can be that simple. For four full weeks now, I've been traveling through Ontario's "cottage country" - the playgrounds of well-to-do Torontonians. You would think these are not exactly areas where someone passing through in a 20-year-old camper-van might be invited to spend the night, parked for free. Yet, I've done it. I paid for camping four nights out of the past twenty-eight and found free boondocking the rest of the time. When, where, how, and with who's permission? Actually, I find free overnight "parking" almost anytime and anywhere I ask for it.
Sometimes I ask local people who I've had some interaction with. I explain that I pay for camping sometimes but, often, I just want a quiet, safe place to park overnight without getting into trouble for it."

"On my budget, I don't eat out a lot but, twice on this trip, I chose a restaurant for dinner, not only for its menu, but for the level, quiet parking lot in what appeared to be a safe neighborhood. A couple of words with the waitress, who consulted the owner and, both times, I was given permission to stay the night. In fact, one owner suggested, " Why don't you park in the staff parking area....I think it will be quieter.""

Excerpts Continued:

"I also asked for and received permission from various retailers and, once, from a librarian in a small town. Other times, the people I ask point me toward public property - a town-owned park, for example, where they have seen other RVs parked overnight from time to time. Fishermen, fellow campers, hikers, and RVers, as well as young people have been a good source for suggestions. But the best and most surprising responses have been when I've asked permission from "official sources.""

"Often, I drive around and scout out a suitable and desirable location and then approach the "authorities" to enquire. I always indicate that I only expect to stay for one night. By-law officers, police officers, provincial park staff, as well as federal employees of the Trent-Severn Waterway have all been very helpful and receptive. If they don't think I'll be safe or have a peaceful night in my chosen location, they often have alternate suggestions. Usually, these authority figures cannot give me official permission, but they can reassure me that I won't be bothered by the authorities. As a result, I parked overnight at several public boat docks, trailheads, and town parks. In some places I had more than one choice. While I've spent some nights on paved parking lots, I was directed to some of the best scenic finds by "official" sources. These include a grassy area at a public boat launch on the shores of Georgian Bay, a view of a gorgeous waterfalls, east of Peterborough, and a small but unique conservation area that hadn't yet opened for the summer season."

Talk to the local Campground owner... (CG's near where you keep your official residence) see if they allow winter camping.

Many do... You can then buy a couple months of winter camping.. Just remember to properly prepare the RV for the weather.

11 Degrees (F) this am in Upper Michigan (USA) I assume at least that cold on the other side of the Big Lake they call Superior.

yolo said:
There are several RV parks open all year in the Vancouver area.  It does freeze there in the winter, so winterizing is a must.
PeaceArch is a full hook up, so that shouldn't even be a problem as long as the heater is on. Or can it be?

Don't leave hoses out, I discovered, the hard way, when it can freeze.

BTW, the only time I had anything freeze was in Las Vegas, of all places. I didn't know it could get so cold there, even  in January. Water in the hose turned to ice.

BTW, I have a very simple way to winterize. For the winter, I keep the RV here in SSF, in my rather long driveway and ready to use at any time. In fact, the reason I came back here is to bring the RV back to Reno until I need to "winterize" by bringing it back here again in October or so.

It also needs a smog check in Reno next month.

-Don-  SSF, CA

yolo said:
It's quite a ways from Ontario, but I know in the Ontario area they close for the winter. In fact, we stayed in one near Ontario a year and a half ago until the last week when it was closing in early October.

-Don- SSF, CA

You guys realize that PeaceArch is over 2600 MILES from say Hamilton Ontario! just a short 40 HOUR non stop drive according to Google.

Ginette - I am in New Brunswick and there is a new campground opening in my area that will open in April and Close in Nov. they say it is to allow for the snowbirds that need to come home early or stay late. I have not been to the campground but may go this summer.
Here is their website.
http://www.alldonecamping.com/

I have over 8 foot snow banks in the yard right now and can't even get the door open to the coach much less drive it.
Check with them to see when they really expect to open we have set records this year with the snowfall. as much as 14 feet in some area's.

Good luck

1275gtsport said:
You guys realize that PeaceArch is over 2600 MILES from say Hamilton Ontario! just a short 40 HOUR non stop drive according to Google.
Of course I do. I took a trip to Ontario in my RV a year and a half ago.

But is getting back to Canada or getting back to Ontario the problem?

I know the RV parks close in the Ontario area as we stayed in one until it closed for the winter.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Thank you all so much for the suggestions.  Especially the boon docking in Ontario.  I really hadn't thought of it.  We are going to to Shediac this summer and I will certainly look into the camping you suggested.

Hey Don. I was not really pointing directly to you about the distance. in fact you and I said about the same thing about the distance. no worries. it is a long ways and My feeling was that the OP was staying east coast for the winter months so the trip to the other side of the country would be a very long ways.

Ginette I sent you a pm

1275gtsport said:
Hey Don. I was not really pointing directly to you about the distance. in fact you and I said about the same thing about the distance. no worries. it is a long ways and My feeling was that the OP was staying east coast for the winter months so the trip to the other side of the country would be a very long ways.
It seems to me that a few thousand miles is nothing if you're going to stay for a while after getting where you're going. But the OP never said if he needed to stay east.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Back
Top Bottom