Do RVers typically have a CB radio installed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Altonymous

My question is pretty simple, as the topic states:  Do RVers typically have a CV radio installed?

I ask this because we making the transition to full time RVing, and I have a really good CB radio I used in my Jeep until I got a smaller one that was easier to mount in the Jeep.  Now I'm wondering if I should sell the nicer "larger" CB or install it in the RV.

Thoughts?

I would install it in the RV for getting road info on the move. Not a lot of RV'ers use CB, but the truckers can be helpful in finding ways around traffic jams. Or at least letting you know what's causing it. I don't keep ours on all the time, but it is handy to have. Channel 13 is supposed to be the unofficial RV channel, but I've rarely heard anyone on it.

I have no clue to how much credence full timers give to installing a CB radio in their RV. I know some do.

As a trucker, all I can do is give you my perspective. Regardless of what you're driving down the road.
I like information. The bigger your rig, information can make your trek a bit easier. The key being is that the information is in real time. Someone coming the other direction, someone closer to the cause of the backup, etc.
If your bashful talking on a CB, most times you can figure out what's going on by just listening to us truckers.
Can be a great source of real time info in a pinch.

I'm thinking the answer to your question is more personal preference. If you can stand the crap that comes across the CB at any given time, if anyone in your family can accept it if within earshot, etc, you might benefit from installing one. They do come in very handy at times. As well as coming across another RV with a CB going the same direction as you and just converse while traveling. Just go to a nice quiet channel. You can make some very good friends this way. I've done this many times while working.

Just some thoughts.

I have always had a CB in our RV's for two reasons.  First off, others already mentioned it is nice to get information while on the road and many of the OTR truckers are good for providing that, not all though.

I also like to have a CB when we used to travel with a group such as heading to the races or a group outing.  Most in our party generally always installed CB's as well which made it nice for traveling together.

Nowdays the wife and I usually travel alone but I still turn it on to keep up on road info.

Mike.

Some do, Some do not.

Myself... I believe in options.. That applies to communications as well as many other things.. In fact a friend of mine used to say you live only as long as available choices are greater than fatal choices.

Imagine you are broken down in the land of "No way can they hear you now" Your cell phone says "NO SERVICE" the road is LONELY.

Well,,, A properly installed CB might put you in touch with someone who can save your life.

And if that fails... I have yet another option of two...one of them WILL work. beyond a doubt but that one needs a license. (Which I have).

We've always had CBs in our RVs and use them in the ways mentioned above.  We just upgraded the portable one in the Jeep so we can use it when off-roading or caravanning.  We in the RV Forum use CBs to communicate at rallies, when four-wheeling, or when traveling together.  A lot of people think you can use cell phones but you don't usually know the phone number of someone on the road, not to mention the fact that cell phone service, while improving, still has numerous areas where there are no towers and thus no service as John mentioned.  An additional use is the weather channels if you're in a dicey weather area.

ArdraF

We have one in the MH.
When I installed the wife asked why.
After running into a 10 mile section of I85 being closed
last year and being able to know about the detours and
where fuel was located along the detour, the wife was a believer.

I was pretty sure I was going to do it if for nothing else than as you said.. information.  I just wondered, if I'd be able to say hi to other RVrs while on the road.

Thanks!

Pretty much passe', I think. Mine quit 4-5 years ago and I didn't bother to get it fixed or replace it. It still has its uses, but with the many other communication alternatives available it simply isn't as important a tool as it once was.

Sounds like I'm in the minority..
I had one in the class c we had for a long time, and rarely used it.
I did occasionally turn it on if there was a traffic issue, but rarely found that it helped much other than to know what was going on.

I have one on my motorcycle, and only use it when I am traveling with other motorcycles that also have one. The range on the cb on the bike is only about a mile,so not good for much else.

I have not installed a cb in my tow rig, and it's doubtful that I will.

ArdraF said:
We've always had CBs in our RVs and use them in the ways mentioned above.  We just upgraded the portable one in the Jeep so we can use it when off-roading or caravanning.  We in the RV Forum use CBs to communicate at rallies, when four-wheeling, or when traveling together.  A lot of people think you can use cell phones but you don't usually know the phone number of someone on the road, not to mention the fact that cell phone service, while improving, still has numerous areas where there are no towers and thus no service as John mentioned.  An additional use is the weather channels if you're in a dicey weather area.

ArdraF
My understanding is that Highway Patrol used to....and hopefully still do...monitor the emergency Chanel 9.

That would be a good reason to have a CB.

fijidad said:
My understanding is that Highway Patrol used to....and hopefully still do...monitor the emergency Chanel 9.

That would be a good reason to have a CB.

A cell phone calling 911 is more effective as it gives your exact location.  And if you don't have cell service, I doubt there will be any law enforcement within CB radio range.

I have a CB but rarely turn it on because of the vulgar talk from many of the truckers. I might ignore their talk but I don't care for DW, children and grandchildren to hear that stuff. I have turned the CB on a few times when we were caught in traffic. Doesn't help much by that time. Just lets you know why you are sitting in traffic and how long you will be sitting in traffic.

A CB is a very useful tool. If one goes on, say a adventure caravan tour. A cb is required. If you belong to the FMCA 4 Wheelers, a cb is required.

At our Western Forum Rallies, we use our RV cb to keep up to date on activities, weather conditions, or to just borrow a cup of sugar.

A cb is also needed in our cars, for activities, such as hicking, off roading, and other tourist things.

Having a cb is also a safety thing. Weather your just overnighting at a walmart, going down the road, or at a forum rally, if you give a 10-33 shout over a cb, nine times out of ten, you'll get a response. And get some kind of help. Better than having nothing.

I'll bump back on again.
I agree with Barb.

We have been on lots of areas form Va to Ga with zero cell
phone connections. Nice to have some form of communication.
Also I do not know how you would check local traffic or gas prices
in your cellphone.

As far as language, maybe we are lucky. I read more about
the vulgarer language problems than we have ever heard.
Maybe it is regional?

Being as you already have one, why not install it? At worst, you shut it off to avoid offensive maroons. At best, you find out, well ahead of time, which lane is open to get by an accident.

Bill

At one time myself and two of my sisters had motorhomes and when we traveled together the CB really came in handy.

Ned said:
A cell phone calling 911 is more effective as it gives your exact location.  And if you don't have cell service, I doubt there will be any law enforcement within CB radio range.
More detail please....sounds like where there is no cell service there will be no Highway Patrol....?

Ned said:

Matter of opinion. I needed to call an ambulance for my DW a few years back on my cell. The ambulance took over an hour to arrive. They couldn't find us. The first responders were looking for our "exact location" approx. 4 miles from us.

I prefer real time communication.

Back
Top Bottom