Do RVers typically have a CB radio installed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's possible that your phone didn't have GPS but was using interpolation from the cell towers to locate you, and that's not nearly as accurate as GPS.  It's also possible that the particular 911 center you called didn't have GPS receive capabilities at that time.  They should have asked you for your location and then it's up to you to be accurate.

Was on the phone multiple time during the ordeal. Phone had GPS. Obviously gave 911 the address. But the address showed 4 miles away from our location. I know my own address. Been going there and paying the taxes on the property for over 20 years. I even gave them the nearest cross streets that have been marked for years and that I would meet the responders there. Still took over an hour.

Everything worked out ok. Turned out to be a severe case of Vertigo. But scary as hell at the time.

The company I drive for has GPS systems in their trucks. It's not as "exact" as they tell you. Not even close. Unless you have been stationary for a time. Longer than you think. 

I'll still use my phone to call 911 rather than a CB radio.  The GPS in my phone (and my tablets) always show my location quite accurately, moving or not.  GPS is very precise today.  Sometimes it's more accurate than the maps being used.

If the responders couldn't find you by your address and cross streets, then that's on them, and not a fault of your phone's GPS.

Understood. And I would agree to use the cell first. Which is what I did. But a CB, as archaic as it may be, is an alternative that may be the deciding factor for the outcome of your situation. Whether to find another route to get where you're going, or to call for help. If your cell has no signal, or drops the call, where does that leave you?

I'm just saying that information at hand is helpful. CB is low cost, real time, and used by many. No monthly fees. It does take some getting used to, and how to handle it with the family within earshot. It can be not so family friendly. But, it can get you out of some jams to make your journey more enjoyable.
Real time information is not a bad thing.

I wasn't arguing against CB, we have one and I've described elsewhere how we find it useful.  But I don't think it's something to rely on for emergency communication purposes.

Ned said:
I wasn't arguing against CB, we have one and I've described elsewhere how we find it useful.  But I don't think it's something to rely on for emergency communication purposes.

I get it. I was just trying to point out that the cell doesn't always work out well. I didn't know if my DW was kicking the bucket at the time, or what. I can joke about it now. But I was scared as hell at the time when nobody was showing up. An alternative is nice. If you want to bet whatever on your phone, your choice.

I'm not willing to bet anyones life on technology that is questionable anymore. I wanna talk to a human. Not a satellite.

Methinks that one will be having a hard time finding law enforcement listening to channel 9 these days. Perhaps in Mayberry.

Also the range of a common CB radio is not much further than a mile reliably. There better be a Cop close by to hear you; hopefully he has a CB radio turned on.  Those days are over a good number of years ago. They probably listen on 19 for truckers shenanigans.

Tried searching the web find something official on that score. Google was quiet also.

Cell phones don't use satellite.  If they did we would have service everywhere.

Like me years again I had CB's in the rigs for information purpose. But now where I live the CB is extremely limited in range so its not a good means of communication. But now with cellphones different story you can call for help or get information from the internet (hopefully not driving while doing this or let your wife do it for you!).

Mike brings up a good point.

Other replies mentioned the short range of the CB. Quality antennas and proper setup of the radio is imperative for maximun range. Anything less than that reduces it's effectiveness. A radio on a motorcycle would only be good for a very short distance (mile or less). Single antenna with virtually no ground plane.
On a MH however, a quality radio with a pair of quality antennas properly installed 108" apart (1/4 wave distance) and SWR matched with a good ground plane, and quality coax tying it all together can increase the RX range to 5-10 miles.

Also, in all the CB radios I use, I have a little help wattage-wise to increase the TX range. But that involves additional equipment that is widely used and available, but technically illegal. A FCC issue. But it can greatly increase your TX distance and rarely enforced.

Just suggestions if anyone is interested.

Your amped-up transmitting power reaches further but does nothing to increase the receiving distance.

The un-amped receiving party can hear you but you can't hear them at those longer distances. Hence the argument is moot.

carson said:
Your amped-up transmitting power reaches further but does nothing to increase the receiving distance.

The un-amped receiving party can hear you but you can't hear them at those longer distances. Hence the argument is moot.

Read my last post again about properly installed antennas concerning RX. Most recieve further than they can transmt. At last check, CB radios were regulated to 4 watts TX power. Good CB radios with a good set of atennas can recieve much further than that. The RX section of your CB is only as good as what your antennas can pick up. My "amps" have nothing to do with the RX of the CB. Unless on SSB. 
If you still call 5-10 miles RX "moot", then I can't help you.

Mark, point well taken. I did read your post carefully and know about dual antennas. They will create a somewhat directional pattern which will help in distance. However; a weak incoming signal will not increase to a doubled strength reception signal.

Even a pre-amp is questionable since the noise on a weak signal will also be amplified.

Oh well, do what you think is best. CB (11 meter) is probable the lowest form of wireless radio ever invented. 

Me---  just an old HAM since 1958

Don't get me wrong...You are right on target! I have helped a few over the years using my pre-amp. I know what it's all about. Your perception on the dual antennas is right on. What most travelers want the most. That is what I tried to focus my reply on. I tried to post without going off topic and getting too technical.

And, the reason I mentioned dual antennas was the reason most RV'ers would want a CB in their RV. To monitor what is happening in front, and behind them while traveling in real time. At a distance that may make a difference to them. In other words, you going to call on your cell the poor sap at the head of the back up what the problem before you get there? Are you in the right lane to get through without having to beg someone to let you over into the correct one? Who you going to call and what will GPS do for you except tell you where you are and your screwed?
I prefer real time info.

I also respect you have been a HAM operator since '58. Now days, CB is probably the lowest form of wireless. But, while on the road with no bars on the new Iphone, broke down or an emergency, I still like to be able to shout out "HELP" over the CB.

They are inexpensive and nice to use when getting near unfamiliar urban areas for local information.

A couple of years ago on a motorcycle trip, my gps took me through some very undesirable areas of Memphis as it was the quickest
route. It was as scared as I have been in my life and the only time on a 21 state and district of columbia trip that I was uncomfortable.
Since then I use my cb when approaching areas like that and ask for advice from truckers. Works well for that. So when do the motorhome
thing this year or next I would put one in even if it got very occasional use.

denmarc said:
I call it cheap insurance.
Absolutely agree. Call it an option. Call it back up.

Call it whatever you want but here's one thing I know for sure: I don't know the cell phone number of the other drivers on the road.

But, if they've got a CB, I stand a chance of communicating with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom