Liquid Roof EPDM VS. White on black EPDM sheet product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arch7

Got a 1999 35' Jayco Eagle wants a new roof. Existing membrane has delaminated from the wood deck in several areas and a few leaks developed.

Liquid Roof total cost - $881.2 for material (from EPDM coatings advertised on this website) includes the tape, the mixer, the primer for the wood deck etc.

Sheet roofing from flatroofsolutions.com 60mil white on black EPDM rubber sheet $839 for all material including the glue, butyl tape, fabric etc and even an instructional DVD.

So the sheet product is actually cheaper. I'm an architect and would never specify a liquid applied roofing product on any of the commercial buildings I design. The best is the single ply membrane fully adhered over a gypsum fiber cover board. But I see new products coming on the market all the time, in carpeting, tile, metal siding and so on and I do put my faith in these new products and their claims. I mean I'm a fan of technology. AeroGel in KalWall panels for instance (try it on your RV!)

Interesting thing is both carry a 10 year warranty.

The main difference I see is hail damage sensitivity and ease of installation.

With the membrane I have to remove all roof curbs and penetrations, ac unit etc. With the liquid stuff I can keep them on and just paste over and around the curbs. Although a taller curb would be a great idea (raise your vents further up off the roof for snow depending on where you are).

So not sure which product to buy. Thoughts, experiences and recommendations much appreciated. Thanks!!

I would go with replacing vs coating. You stated the existing has lost it's bond and has leaked. The only way to assess the damage below is to remove the existing to see if any structure below needs attention. When you install the new, if you do, let Eternabond be your friend.

MN RV Roofing has a product you can apply over plywood and it has a warranty of 10 yrs.  My 35' 5er takes 6 gal and the cost is around $600.  I have used this on my houseboat with great results and am waiting for warmer weather to put on my 12yr old 5er.  The kit comes with everything you need and a DVD.

interesting thanks guys.

I want to clarify that I will be removing the entire existing single ply membrane (TPO, EPDM I don't care I'm taking it all off to existing wood deck) then would be applying either a new single ply membrane or some kind of liquid applied roof right over the wood deck.

So the problem as kjansen addresses is that its hard to find a product that can be applied over wood.

I looked into these 100% silicone roof coatings - anyone looked at or experiece with those? Henry makes one that carries a lifetime warranty, blows the socks off any of these 10year products. And its $250 for a 5 gal pail at homedepot - which covers 887 SF so you can do two coats as recommended and not need additional product even for a 40'er with slide out

This stuff also can't be applied to wood. Hmmm. So I'm thinking of fully adhering an asphaltic sheet over the wood deck (some plywood I'll be replacing I'm sure, other is in good condition) and applying the stuff over that. The cool thing about it is that I now have two layers of waterproofing and the total cost for all material doing it this way? $380. A little more time on my part I grant you but still less labor time than a new single ply TPO, KEE or EPDM membrane. And a lifetime warranty. AND - an opportunity to add more slope to my roof by lapping the asphaltic sheets.

OR - add tapered rigid insulation over wood deck then the asphalt sheet or possibly even the silicone coating directly over a rigid insulation board, possibly with foil liner. Need to do more research but I'll keep everyone informed on this forum. 

Maybe I misled you.  The Mn RV roof can be applied directly to wood.  I've watch them cut out rotted ply and replace with new and then coat right to the bare wood.  Give them a call 877-387-6511.

Ok I see rvroofing.com.....$648 complete kit for 35' coach. Not a bad alternative. Save over $200 vs the only other liquid system that can go right over wood, the liquid roof product. Looks like I can only buy from them, not even on ebay.

Might be what I go with, the price includes shipping.

still like the idea of some asphalt coated sheet over the wood deck then an acrylic or silicone based white coating over that. Savings of like $300 and then there's two waterproofing layers.....

When you have to recaulk you'll wish you hadn't used a silicone covering. It's virtually impossible to stick to.

Ernie

holy crap here we go - cheapest by far alternative to all of them
http://www.mfmbp.com/purchase/store/tabid/81/ProdID/2/Peel_and_Seal.aspx

check out the technical data sheet. No coating needed over. Can stick right to wood deck, no primer needed. No adhesive to buy, no rollers etc. Total cost around $200 for material at menards plus the cost of any wood decking (plywood) that will need replacement. Will go for some new polyiso rigid insul too.....looking at maybe installing this right over the new RI or perhaps the RI over existing wood deck then a cover board then this stuff. has a 20 year warranty.

peel and seal aluminum faced single ply membrane (consisting of laminated aluminized foil, high-density polymer films and a thick layer of rubberized asphalt)........(From MFR)......max width of rolls is 3' though so will have two laps running the length of the camper and max length is 33.5' so will have another lap near the end. Will be lapping / wrapping over roof edges as well which is nice. I'll post pics.

Is Menards a lot cheaper than the $127/roll list price? If not, how can you do an entire trailer for $200? I make it to be 3x 36" rolls or about $400.

Looks like a solution with good potential. Let us know how it works out.

have you priced EPDM from a local roofing supply store? last time I bought it it was around $200 for a 50' roll, the tape is on the high side but that stuff is amazing.

arch7

I'm an Architect and GC from North Carolina. I would do the EPDM material rather than coating. Follow kdbgoats advice. Check out damage and repair first. I have applied the liquid EPDM to my RV roof. Great stuff to extent the live of the EPDM sheet roofing but I had no apparent leaks or other issues; just normal tear and deterioration from exposure to elements. I also did a lot of prep and trim work prior to the coating process. I do not think I would liquid coat a roof substrate that did not have the sheet fabric first. It is hard to control the mil thickness placing the liquid as is shown in most repair videos. Just my opinion.

John jth from N. Myrtle Beach

8 years into owning our 30', 02 Montana.. The EDPM roof started to go South, but no leaks, cracks or tears.

Washed it Real Good with soap & water, twice. Let it dry for 24 hours. Wife and I masked off all the edges and applied an elastomeric product called.. Sta-Kool (7 gallons, $79.00, Home Depot), with rollers and a brush. Let it dry for 24 hours, then 2 more coats, 24 hours apart.

Sold that Rig in 2015.. the roof still looked like New. No Leaks or cracks anywhere.

Was into the whole thing for less than $100.00.

No Harm nor Foul meant.. Jus' say'n.

Joe

On edit: The Prep was/is the key. I washed it Real Good.. I mean REAL GOOD.. gutter strips and all. Applied the Sta-Kool over the Lap Seal joints also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom