Establishing Domicile, With A Twist!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLagoda

So my husband and I are about to embark on fulltime RVing for the next year or so, and we are so excited! We currently live in Florida, so we have already established domicile here for the past year (IDs, insurance, both RV and toad registration, voter registration, etc) so i'm not worried about ESTABLISHING domicile, per se. I am looking into using St. Brendan's Isle as our mail forwarding service since I've heard such great things, and they are in Florida so it will keep the issue of state of domicile easier.

However, I have two major concerns - when my husband and I change our address through the DMV and on our health insurance, will they "recognize" the St Brendan's Isle address as valid, or will they see it as a "mailbox" (ie not valid residential location) and deny us? I'm more worried about the health insurance (I have Humana) since I have medical issues requiring medication, and cannot have a lapse in insurance coverage.

Has anyone had any experience with St Brendan's Isle regarding this? Using the address for license registrations and insurance and having it be accepted?

I would have more trust in what St Brendan's Isle said than an RV forum. Why can't you ask them??

Better yet, ask Humana which goes by Medicare rules regardless of whether you're drawing on Medicare or not.  "Rules is rules!"  I called Kaiser when we were planning to move and they were very helpful.

ArdraF

As I understand Florida is one of only 4 states that does not car if it is a mail box or a house.

The other 3 are Nevada, Texas, and South Dakota.

Thus either way it should not be a problem.

From my experience most services (dmv, utilities, banks etc) have an option for listing Residence and Mailing address as separate. My employer does this as well. Check with your DMV and Health service to see if they have a separate mailing address option. Looking at the Florida change address form I see they list Mailing address and Residence address separatly.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/forms/71117.pdf

I have not had to deal with that issue since being at Good Sam Mail Service. Many mail forwards physical address is very recognizable as a mail forward or P.O. Box.

I recommend Good Sam Mail Service https://www.goodsammailservice.com/ in Florida. They?ve been in business for many years serving the cruising, RVing and traveler communities, and we?ve heard nothing but glowing recommendations. They were easy to work with, sign-up was handled all online, and they provided all of the forms and instructions. They quickly answered our questions, including verifying that you could use our new address for our businesses without needing any additional occupancy license. Very impressed with their high tech scanning solution that actually lets you see the outside of incoming mail as soon as it arrives, and for a small extra fee they will even open your mail and scan the contents on request!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom