AC unit: repair vs. replace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

71Airstream

Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first question.  I have a 1971 Airstream Land Yacht, 23 ft.  It's in good shape, but I'm working on it this spring to update anything that isn't working correctly.  The AC unit blows lots of air, the thermostat seems to be activating the compressor, but I don't get any cold air.  Due to the age of the unit, would it be better to find a replacement to install, or try and get it fixed?  I'm an electrical contractor and have pretty good skills of replacing things and diagnosing electrical problems, but don't know how to diagnose and repair an AC unit.  Also, the "dog house" that surrounds the rooftop portion of the AC unit has been destroyed by the sun and needs to be replaced.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

If its a freon leak its time to replace it.  After 4o years of running.  Heating up and cooling thounds of times. The copper lines develop stress cracks.  You can patch one leak only to have anouther opens..... Replace it

Being a unit of that vintage, I would have to agree with last post. If you are going to put time and money into the Airstream, then I would invest in a replacement unit. You'll be happier in the long run.

Replace the upper unit.. You may not need to replace other parts,, Just the upper unit.

Fact:When I had to replace on of mine...the OLD unit sucked13.5 amps and cooled 13,500 BTU

The new one sucks13.5 amps and delivers 15,000 BTU  MOORE COOL  PER KWH.

And that alone is reason enough to replace... NOTE: Replacement was a different make.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom