What gas grill do you like plugged into your RV's low pressure outlet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chindog

Seems like a lot of RV's have a quick connect propane outlet tied into the gas line after the regulator, so most off the shelf portable gas grills won't work very well without some modification.

What gas grill do you use, and what mods did you do to it (if any) to get it up and running?

Get a grill that does NOT use the small 1 lb portable bottles, i.e. requires an external regulator (e.g. the Coleman Roadtrip LX). Alternative #1: remove the regulator from the grill. Alternative #2: put a tee in the coach LP line in front of its regulator and send high pressure to the portable grill.

Gary's alternative number 2 is what the majority of us use.  It has the advantage of NOT requiring any alteration to the chosen grill (it remains usable for home/picnic use) and greatly increases your choice in grills. 

Using the "stay-a-while", placed in the high pressure side, also provides the capability of using the standard 20lb cylinder for feeding the MH appliances in the event you need propane and don't want to move the rig immediately just to refill the main tank.

The better choice, IMHO.

Hey Gary Why doesnt the Roadtrip work using the tank feed.I bought lines to use it last year and had issues where the grill wouldnt work right very low flame can you fill me in  Thanks

I am using the nexgrill brand portable grill that costco was selling a couple of years ago. I built an arm mounted to the spare tire mount on the rear of the rig last fall. Got tired of dragging the "portable" grill in and out.

I like the swing arm it allows me to just leave the grill bolted on and swing it out "beside" the rig, and grill away. I would not use it with it up against the tire as I think it might get a bit warm and there is a rather large window on the back that I would not want to have to clean grease off of.

I took me awhile to prove to the propane guys that I could leave the hose connected permanently and have the quick connect at the grill. I had to add a shut off at the T in the line so that if the hose ever falls out of the compartment and drags then it won't leak all the propane out.

BTW it is a standard quick connect so any portable BBQ/Stove from any camper will attach.

We have the Coleman and screwed in a quick connect in place of the regulator, works great.

Even though I have a high-pressure connection from my onboard propane I use a portable grill with the 1 lb bottles, which I refill. I bought a refill kit ($8 on ebay) and refill the bottles from my home BBQ tank. I just keep three 1 lb bottles with me. If I have to I can refill using one of the 30 lb tanks on my TT, but so far haven't had to. You have to refill with the (20-30 lb) propane tank inverted, so it won't generally work with a built-in tank (unless it has a bottom connection for liquid).

I like this because I sometimes like to cook further away from the RV, such as near the campsite picnic table or whatnot.

Of course we mainly use the RV for camping right now. In another 7 or so years when we plan to be fulltime in an A or fiver we might wanting something a little easier, not to mention cooking on the grill a lot more where having a 1 lb tank go empty in the middle  of cooking would get old, fast.

Michael

we carry an extra 20lb tank in a plastic square milk case so it doesnt tip over or roll around and we plug in a webber q series bbq and a dual shutoff so we can also plug in a camp chef 3 burner grill with the cast iron griddle 

You can buy a valve without the regulator on it, and a quick coupler. That way you still have the regulated valve that came with the grill if you ever want to use the grill off of a propane bottle.

Attachments

• Grill 1.jpg
    Grill 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Grill 2.jpg
    Grill 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 145
So the reason the hose doesnt  work on a Colemen Grill is because the Propane is regulated at the tank on the Motorhome and it doesnt like the regulator on the grill for the 2 pound bottles?

PCarillon said:
So the reason the hose doesnt  work on a Colemen Grill is because the Propane is regulated at the tank on the Motorhome and it doesnt like the regulator on the grill for the 2 pound bottles?

Yup. Too many regulators. You have the pressure reduced at the tank, then again at the grill. You need only one or the other.

Ok TY  then ... anyone know if they make a regulatorless connection for the coleman grill

PCarillon said:
Ok TY  then ... anyone know if they make a regulatorless connection for the coleman grill

I'm working on getting a Weber "Q" Grill hooked up to my coach's low pressure "quick connect".  The "Q" has a regulator that looks like it can be easily removed that will leave what looks to be a threaded length of 3/8th pipe in it's wake.    I stumbled onto the following link for a source for connectors and hoses this morning.  I'm thinking all that ordering their Part # 100395-COM will do the trick - and will be placing an order for a 12' length as soon as I remove the remove the regulator and confirm it's in fact a 3/8th threaded connection. 

You might find something there that may help you as well.

http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/propanequickconnect.html#rvhoses

Ok here is a picture of my Valve/port on my Tank now that I look at it I see its before my tank Regulator so is it safe to assume this is a High Pressure Port.I bought 2 8ft lines to connect together to run under the motorhome  and make it so I can set grill under awning.Since the hose connect that goes into my Coleman grill regulator is the same as a Bottle then this should work..... I had issues where the propane  pressure was very low that I couldnt use both burners and  even with just one I didnt get a very HOT flame.Is there an issue with running 2 lines together ?

Attachments

• Propanevlve (450x800).jpg
    Propanevlve (450x800).jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 114
spacenorman said:
I'm working on getting a Weber "Q" Grill hooked up to my coach's low pressure "quick connect".  The "Q" has a regulator that looks like it can be easily removed that will leave what looks to be a threaded length of 3/8th pipe in it's wake.    I stumbled onto the following link for a source for connectors and hoses this morning.  I'm thinking all that ordering their Part # 100395-COM will do the trick - and will be placing an order for a 12' length as soon as I remove the remove the regulator and confirm it's in fact a 3/8th threaded connection. 

The regulator on my Coleman failed leaving me without a BBQ on our latest trip. I'll replace it - but as a backup I like the idea of being able to plug directly into me RV quick connect. Thanks for the link.

Paul,

Yes, you've got a T-fitting that will put out high pressure propane. As long as the fitting on the far end of the hose is the same as the fitting that's on those little disposable propane bottles, it should screw into your bar-b-cue's regulator without any problems. I don't think you'll have a problem with two 8-foot hoses, but I've only used a 10-foot hose myself.

Kev

I have tried all kinds of set ups to try and use the tanks on the camper. Bought more fittings than care to think about and they are not cheap. My better half was getting a bit upset at me. I did get a pretty good setup using the tee at the tank as was suggested here. Was just to much hassle so went back to having an extra 20 lb tank with a propane distribution post. You can hook up to three things to it. I have a friend that had issues with connecting his Weber to a tank bigger than the 1lb. He was told by Weber that you can not use bigger since it is not designed for it. Not sure that's true. I have the Roadtrip and works great. Maybe the Weber users can answer that Q. After all that the only thing you can use on the low pressure are the ones sold for that use. They are over priced and limit where you can place your grill. I did hook the Roadtrip direct to the low pressure with no reg and the flame was to low. Not sure if this info is correct but I have heard the camper pressure is around 1.5 lbs and the Coleman pressure for the grill is 3 lbs.

spacenorman said:

Please give us an update as I want to do the same thing.

spacenorman said:

Yes, it does work...I have done the mod on my Weber Q 2200.  You need a couple conversion pieces and quick-connects and it works well.  I also put a quick connect on the removed Weber Q regulator.  That way, if I ever want to use the 1 pound bottles I just connect the regulator back on.  Sometimes we take the Q away from the RV so the ability to use both is nice.

funpilot said:
Please give us an update as I want to do the same thing.

I removed the regular from the Weber ""Q" grill and realized that it's not a 3/8" pipe.  When you remove the regulator - you're left with a threaded 1/4" tube.   

I ordered a 1/4" female to 3/8" male adaptor (Part # 46-B ....  http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/brassfittings.html )

...along with this "combo" ... that includes a short "pigtail" that has a 3/8" female connector on one end and a male "quick connect" end on the other - combined with a 12' length of hose that has a female "quick connect" on one end and a male "quick connect" end on the other. 
http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/images/100395combo.jpg

I plan to install the adapter on the threaded pipe that the regulator was removed from ... and then the "pigtail" onto that - and basically leave it.  With that in place - it will be a male "quick connect" into the propane "spigot" on the coach ...  and the male end into the female "quick connect" on the hose. 

As long as I haven't broken any "unknown" rules such as using a brass fitting to change sizes ... or maximum hose lengths when carrying low pressure propane ... I think I've got the connectivity lined up right.    I'll know for certain next week once the fittings and hose arrive and I can see if I can burn something!  ;-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom