Slide Roller Breakdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

530ktm

Had the large slide out for a bit and went to put it in and the top behind driver does not budge more than an inch. Rear comes in and bottom front but slide kept getting more and more tweaked so I stop. Inspect up there and the small roller that the top track rides on has come apart which made the whole slide drop a bit and jam.  Had to get a friend come by and he worked the button while I pulled from the inside because it did not help by pushing from the outside. That thing was wedged in there good but it broke loose and we got in in. I read all types of things to do when the motor breaks or something else but nowhere have I ever seen the bearing and roller go away. Now I have to get in to the dealer to have this diagnosed and repaired. What a joke, brand new coach and this happens. Not so fond of slides right now. And we were planning on leaving Friday morning for a few days of fun and relaxing. I am not a happy camper at this time.

Edit by staff: changed message icon to topic solved

It is the 2014 Itasca Sunova 33C. It is at the dealer now and they are going to replace the entire slide assembly which is the track top and bottom as well as the motor, comes as one unit apparently. I hope this is just a fluke.

Well I think that is the case. I have owned two different Winnebago MH's and have been on the RV forums for almost 20 years and yours is the first one I have heard of.  Especially the top roller.  I had a gear tooth break on my large slide on my last Winne, but it was also on my trip to Alaska and was driving some pretty horrible roads through Canada. 

I think you are pretty safe.

If at all possible, for a major problem like that, I would be sorely tempted to go back to Winnibago and have the work done at the factory. Many (most??) dealers are poorly equipped to handle that kind of major problem!! JMHO...

Alfa38User said:
If at all possible, for a major problem like that, I would be sorely tempted to go back to Winnibago and have the work done at the factory. Many (most??) dealers are poorly equipped to handle that kind of major problem!! JMHO...
My thoughts too but not possible due to the distance. The dealer I have it at is supposed to be one of the better places and from what I am told other repair places use them for slide repair as well. I will let you know how it all works out.

Update to this. I have to have the entire track, motor and assembly replaced because the guide wheel broke and jammed the unit. I have since this happened looked into this and from what I see the Schwintek Slide is a problematic mechanism that has plagued many RV's for the past few years. I wish I knew of this before I spent my money because I may have looked at other makes that don't use this set up. It has been in the service dept. for almost 2 weeks just for this. Not much fun when you have things you would like to be doing to the coach but can't because of some weak engineering problem. 

Just wondering,,,, we have a slide system on our new Winnie that is made by Schwintek, and I have seen other Suncruisers with narrow little gear rails on the two slides that use that system.  Ours has much heavier looking gear rails on both.  Did they make a change mid year ?  We came across our twin near Albuquerque, and the folks were having trouble getting their slide in, and I noticed they had the narrow rails, and also noticed they had a much lower numbered VIN than ours had. The lower rail sits up higher than ours, which sits right at the bottom of the slide.

LCI /schwintek slide systems are poorly designed in my opinion.  I have a 2014 Winnebago Tour and am on my third complete slide system in 12 months.  All covered under warranty but the inconvenience is huge!! Once your slide fails, you take it to the dealer who has to disassemble it to verify the failure, then call Winnebago to get repair authorization, then wait for Lippert to "custom manufacture" the new parts.  You will wait 8 to 12 days before it is shipped.  Winnebago will not pull the part off the assembly line despite their advertised over night part delivery for coach down scenarios. email me if you want more Tour horror stories! :mad: :mad:

I have the coach back and have been using the slide and so far everything has been working correctly. I was told that they had to shim a part since it was not done the right way at the factory.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom