Retirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyM

Finally did it, I pulled the pin on the corporate world Friday. It does feel strange, after all I'm only 66. ;D This is rv related, today I finally got the box liner cut so I could put it back in the truck with the fifth wheel.
We are starting on a new adventure. We have been offered a beautiful home on an acreage for nominal rent, the absentee owner is a long time friend who wants the place maintained until they are ready to retire and move into it. We have been guaranteed two years, we feel like we have won the lottery. I have been offered part time work if I want it but am not sure if I will have time. One thing for sure, the fiver is going to get a lot more use.

Congratulations!  When Tom retired I felt euphoric.  It took him almost two years to feel the same release and relaxation.  But he got there, and soon enjoyed it as much as I did having him back in my day to day life.  Corporate life takes a lot away from family time and it's just plain wonderful to recover that shared time!  "We've" now been retired for 29 years.  Best years of our life by a good bunch.  :D 

We pulled the trigger a year ago, sold the home, moved to a smaller home in Florida, close to the beach.  Still do a little part-time work with the wife, but stay busy with 'projects', developing other interests.  Miss the people a bit, don't miss the rat race at all.

Congrats,  we're going to hit the button this fall and start our wandering around.  Hope you enjoy your next chapter of life it's why our motto is "live every day". I find as we're leaving the driveway on overnighter or 2 month journey my stress level drops immediately,  it is the reason we've kept on RVing, great lifestyle.  Safe travels

I agree, pulling out with the trailer attached is my best stress reliever too.

Congratulations and enjoy ! Since retirement, we have never been happier, and have never looked back,,,, only forward to new adventures and new places to see. 8)

When working people ask me what retirement is like I describe it as doing just what you want to do, for as  long as you want to do it and then switching to something you would prefer. 

What's not to like about it?

I enrolled in grad school so I could get a better paying job with more flexibility so my DH could retire, we could get an RV and then travel, while I worked remotely. Now that Im graduated and looking for a job, and an RV, he is starting to try to back out of the deal. He wants to continue working for a couple more years. Although he is a programmer and could work from home, and does so on occasion, the company he works for doesn't allow that regularly. Which means a couple more winters in Minnesota. :(

My wife could not wait to retire and get out of the rat race. When she retired I quit my second and third jobs and just worked my primary job @ 46.6 hours per week. A year and a half later when I could retire I was ready. We hit the road 5 days after my last shift and haven't had a lick of trouble enjoying life since then. Some people are wired differently though and they just can't sit and relax. I'm glad I'm not one of them.

Ken

Some people are wired differently though and they just can't sit and relax

Im afraid Im one of them. My biggest struggle is to try to reign things in and keep them manageable. I cut way back once I started grad school. Before that, I was a member of several boards and active in several other groups in addition to working full time. At this point, even though Im not working at the moment, Im involved  in helping out one fundraiser bike ride for people with HIV/AIDS, and have just switched back to being active on the board of a missing childrens organization. I had been on hiatus while in grad school. Im trying not to get anything more going,,, at least until my health improves. :D

Yep, I have a husband that is wired differently.  I'm still waiting for him to retire but not to enjoy myself, I decided some years ago if I kept waiting afraid I might be dead first, LOL.
DD will always be with us and she and I spent 5 weeks or so in Texas in January, missed getting out of Indiana end of February because we got snowed in but have been in Florida since middle of March or so.
However going to have to head back before we want to because pets are boarded and I think grass is growing.
Just had to quit waiting as he travels internationally and of course not really wanting to travel when home.
I decided we go or never go, just celebrated my 69th birthday and our 47th anniversary.  Have been doing
this a few years now and enjoying it more all the time!

Yep, I have a husband that is wired differently.

Carolyn, I think you are wired the same way. You may not get paid for the work you do, but I've read your posts about your busy days. You work harder than any 10 people! I don't see you slowing down any either. :)

Maybe, but I'm also taking time to smell the roses, or motorhome fumes I suppose!

Sue Anne and I in Indiatlantic, near Melbourne, Florida

Attachments

• IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 106
Congrats on being able to retire on your schedule.

I got hurt at work, so the doctors "retired" me many years ago.

The money isn't nearly as good as when I worked, but the schedule is much more to my liking. :p

Update: We moved a month ago and life has been good. I am working harder than I ever did at the office with all the yard work and helping in the house, my wife is partially disabled. The laundry is in the basement so guess who drew that duty. ;D I have been working one day a week at a friend's rental yard but that is all I want.
We are headed out for a week with the fiver on Wednesday. A couple of close friends with rv's are excited we are nearby so we can get out with them. Should be a good summer.

I subscribe to the old analogy of the one phrase that I have never seen on a headstone in a graveyard " I wish I had spent more time at work". 

I retired 7 years ago and have never looked back.

Congrats
I retired at 61. Have never looked back. Love being home on the acreage or RVing.
We are now headed to the west coast and are considering a move.
I only have one regret. If I had known retirement was this good I would have taken far better care of myself getting here. 8)
Lawrence

I retired at age 60 when I was first eligible.  I had worked for the same company 42 years.
We went full time in 2015.  We LOVE being retired.  We always wanted and RV thinking it would
be a great way to spend winters.  We have found that it's a great way to spend summer also.

Congratulations and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom