Another mapping and routing app for tablets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
MAPS.ME is a mapping and routing application for Android and IOS tablets that doesn't need an internet connection.  Maps are downloaded to the tablet by state for the US, but are also available for all countries.  The short tests I made show the routing to be comparable to Google Maps.

I don't have the link to the IOS version but you iPad folks can find it in the iTunes store.

Thanks Ned for the heads up.  I installed the app a few days ago along with maps for FL, NY, United Kingdom and France for an upcoming trip.  It did use up most of the free memory space on my 16 Gig Nexus 7 tablet but won't have to have a cell signal to use overseas.  We'll see how it works.  Leaving for Europe tomorrow.  I'll kill the country maps as I leave that country or state to free up the memory again.

Do give a report after your trip on how well MAPS.ME worked.

Thanks for the tip, Ned.  I have been looking for an app like this.  The inability to download maps with Google Maps or Apple Maps has long been a frustration for us when we move out of data range.  This looks like just the ticket!

- Jim

Google maps does support downloaded maps, but it's not as convenient as with MAPS.ME.  Google is better used for local area maps.

I am still using my Sygic app which is available for Android and IOS.  I use it totally offline and still find it the best of all of them. I have used it extensively in Mexico, USA and Canada. They also map Europe.

Back Country Navigator comes in handy if you get off the paved roads.  It won't do routing though.  The variety of maps that are downloadable helps a ton... some roads show on some maps but no map shows all the roads/trails.

Back from our two month trip to Europe, UK and NYC the app worked well in mapping without using internet.  I used it a few times to check the route to somewhere.  While driving in the UK I used my Garmin NUVI with a European chip that I got cheap on eBay.  Walking around in foreign countries was easier to use Google maps since they have a walking mode.  The MAPS.ME app only supports vehicle routing.

It was cool to watch ourselves running down the RR track at 180 mph on EuroStar.  For what we used it for, it worked great.  Now I need to see how to delete the maps that I don't need.

For internet and telephone I used T-Mobile.  Unlimited slow speed (128 kb) data.  Worked ok for Google maps, email and light browsing.  In Britain, Wales and Scotland we used GiffGaff sim.  15 pounds ($23) for 500 minutes phone, 3GB data and unlimited texts for a month.  Too bad we don't have an option that cheap in the US.

That's my report.  I'll continue to use Garmin in the coach and toad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom