1976 coachman cadet 16 ft single axle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew123

hello, this is my first camper and i'm new to all this. i believe i likely blew some fuse but i'm not sure. I plugged into to a hookup and all the lights inside the camper turned on, no problem. i noticed i had a bulb out in one of the lights and went to replace it, bam i lose all power. i can hear the converter buzzing when its plugged in so i'm pretty sure that its getting power. is this just a blown fuse? i flipped the circut breaker but no luck. I can't seem to figure out where the fuse box for the trailer is located. I know this is likely a very dumb question but in need of some help! Any ideas for the camper newbie?

The lights are almost certainly 12VDC so a GFCI wouldn't be involved, that's for 120VAC only.  The fuse panel should be somewhere close to, or even part of, the converter.

here is what I'm looking at, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0217__1428026203_73.14.101.16.jpg
    IMG_0217__1428026203_73.14.101.16.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0218__1428026275_73.14.101.16.jpg
    IMG_0218__1428026275_73.14.101.16.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 21
I see a hinge on the front of the converter.  Is there a screw or two you can remove to open the front of the converter? If so, you will probably find some fuses inside.

I'll bet if you look at the bottom of the bulb you took out, you'll see two pins.  They carry the + and - power to the bulb, and if you try to remove the bulb with the switch turned on - BAM - and a blown fuse - as the rotating pins short out their mates in the socket.

This doesn't happen with the automotive two pin stop and tail light bulbs because both pins carry +12 volts, one to each filament, and the shell is the negative connection.  If you short the pins on a dual filament bulb all that happens is both filaments light up.

If the converter is humming it's getting AC power from one of the two circuit breakers in the top photo.  Take the screw out of the top of the hinged panel in the second picture and open it up - one or more DC fuses are probably hiding there.

thanks for the response. Lou, i think this is exactly what happened. i'm gonna get in their and look at it tomorrow when i have more time. thanks guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom