Where do journalists go to school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were taught only two tenses in English class at grammar school; "You must pay attention now, or you will get your knuckles rapped with a ruler"  :eek:

OTOH our math teacher didn't forewarn; He'd punch you in the stomach, after which you'd really pay attention  :(

I occasionally put something from "The Onion" on my FaceBook page.  It's an eye opener how many people don't catch that it's satire.  Apparently their attention span is so short they won't completely read a headline longer than five words.

I occasionally put something from "The Onion" on my FaceBook page.  It's an eye opener how many people don't catch that it's satire.  Apparently their attention span is so short they won't completely read a headline longer than five words.

The problem with that is that some of todays actual news stories blow the Onion out of the water with their ridiculousness.

Do you  remember when television newscasters and weather reporters used proper grammar, good diction, and avoided the overuse of superlatives? At times, I believe our language isn't evolving, it's devolving.

The problem with network newscasters is that they are not satisfied with simply reporting the news.  They feel they have to interpret the news for all the loyal sponges watching and listening to their broadcast.  Just why, or how, this gives them license to reshape, invent and opine on the news is a mystery to me.

I am baffled by the ''talking heads" that have come to believe their semi-celebrity and quoting the research of others makes them pundits. There is one news channel (to avoid debate, I will not identify it) to which, I believe, the phrase "the more you watch, the less you know" is quite apt.

A lot of people really dont want news.

Attachments

• 11071599_980201472020342_861902937615149983_n.jpg
    11071599_980201472020342_861902937615149983_n.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 38
The local talking heads are even worse. There was just an incident at the St. Patrick's Day parade in New Haven where a girl suspected of assaulting several people  was taken down by a police officer when he found that she had a knife. He did a nice controlled leg sweep to take her down, then held her until backup arrived. His instructor at the academy should be very proud of how he handled the situation.

Of course, the incident was captured on cell phone video which was promptly sent to the local TV station. Breaking News!!! Shocking video of white police officer body slamming young black girl to the pavement!! Tune in at 6 o'clock!! The video was accompanied by man-in-the-street interviews describing the "unconscious" girl laying on the ground.

This was followed by two days of protests and counter protests in front of city hall. The mayor apologized the girl's family for how she was treated by the police. In the end, the officer was cleared of any wrong doing and put back of the street.

Had the story been reported properly, none of this would have happened. But "armed suspect taken into custody, no one injured" doesn't generate ratings and advertsing income.

Wow, you guys are tough.  From now on I'll have to be extra careful when I post.  (usually it doesn't help)  :eek:

As for reporting the facts Tom, I believe that went out with Jack Webb.  ;)     

With respect to the post stating its political implication was only humor, I guess that depends on which side of the political spectrum you stand.    :-\ 

Journalists?
I haven't read anything in years, in the mass media, that I
felt was written by a real journalist.

I get aggravated when 'journalists' write a story, but clearly don't go beyond the superficial news blurb put out by the government, advocacy group, etc.  On one weekend, all four local news stations reported on 'protests' by a group over some perceived issue.  Turns out this was a half dozen people,led by a known rabble rouser who made his living from 'donations' extorted from businesses paying him to stay away.  Not one station did any digging to see who he actually was.

Jeff said:
Journalism students spend most of their time in school interviewing everyone in all the campus bars. ::)

When a reporter asked Joe Namath if he had majored in basket weaving at Alabama re replied "Nope, journalism. It was easier".

Hello all:
I must follow up with this....... I know, I've got to get my mind right.

Regarding "Tense":

A Psychiatrist explained to my Indian friend, spending one night in his Tepee, then the next in his Wigwam:
"Perhaps your just two TENSE!?."

What......? What's that Nancy?  (my Wife calling).
Aww, Ok, okay.
I've got to get back in my room..., see ya guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom