I'll NEVER buy a new motorhome,,,, maybe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

Peteyboy

Made the mistake of going to an RV show in Tucson while we were there in Feb. After looking around for a while, we sat in a new Itasca we really liked. Before long Mr. Smooth Talker shows up,,, it's like a shark who smells blood in the water,, these guys are good. Short story, he made us an offer that was tough to refuse, and before we left, we owned a new Itasca. The best part,,, after 3000 miles bringing it home, we just love it !  Mr. Slickster did us a favor,,, I think.

Yes, and am very impressed with the overall quality and engineering that went into the coach. LOVE the continuous hot water heater, and numerous other touches.

It's too late to caution you against taking your checkbook to a RV Show...so congratulations!!! Enjoy your new vacation home.

When ever we go to RV shows, the DW does a strip search on me to ENSURE I don't have ANY titles, Bank Books, etc. on me!!!!

Congratulations! I remember what it was like when I bought my first RV. then the new rubbed off and buyers remorse set in!

Congratulations! We're on our second Winnebago and very happy with our 2013 Adventurer 37F. I think it's the same as the Suncruiser 37F, they just slapped Suncruiser on it as it went out the door.

TheNewhalls said:
Congratulations! We're on our second Winnebago and very happy with our 2013 Adventurer 37F. I think it's the same as the Suncruiser 37F, they just slapped Suncruiser on it as it went out the door.
Yep, Winnebago says that there is no difference now between the Winnies and Itascas.

In past years Itasca was positioned as sort of an Oldsmobile compared to a Chevrolet with more features as standard equipment which would be optional on a Winnebago.  Nowadays the main differences are when you move up or down in price point.  In all cases Itasca/Winnebago moved down the same assembly line worked on by the same production people.

In 2012 we were scheduled to go to a big RV show a friend said, ?Don?t go?, I said why not, he replied, ?Too much temptation in a small area.?  He was right.  :)

John Canfield said:
In past years Itasca was positioned as sort of an Oldsmobile compared to a Chevrolet with more features as standard equipment which would be optional on a Winnebago.  Nowadays the main differences are when you move up or down in price point.  In all cases Itasca/Winnebago moved down the same assembly line worked on by the same production people.

What?? When did that happen? You mean I can no longer look down my nose at mere Winnebago owners?? ;D
Seriously, I've got a major crush on that 37F and am hoping to upgrade to a newer unit soon.

We didn't buy at a show. Instead, we dropped in at Trans West and bought the most expensive Reyo possible off the floor. It's working out great for us, but next time, I will try to be a better negotiator and more patient. Impulse buys are expensive and don't always work out.

As for new vs used. If you plan to own a vehicle for seven to ten years, buy new. If you're going to be in it for a couple of years, buy used.

Peteyboy said:
Yes, and am very impressed with the overall quality and engineering that went into the coach. LOVE the continuous hot water heater, and numerous other touches.
Continuous Hot Water Heaters very common on Australian Caravans and Motorhomes

Oldedit said:
We didn't buy at a show. Instead, we dropped in at Trans West and bought the most expensive Reyo possible off the floor. It's working out great for us, but next time, I will try to be a better negotiator and more patient. Impulse buys are expensive and don't always work out.

As for new vs used. If you plan to own a vehicle for seven to ten years, buy new. If you're going to be in it for a couple of years, buy used.

The quote about impulse buys is right on the money.  Since we bought the rig we have talked and agreed that we would never have bought new if we have left that day and really thought about it, but we did, and things have worked out.  DW is starting to come around to my way of thinking that we have worked hard all our lives and saved, and now it is time to spend. We don't really have that many good  years left, so why not ?

The way I see it is that if you want to buy new, the smart money is on the gas models now that the Ford suspension is a true motorhome suspension. I have not read anywhere that any buyers are unhappy with the suspension or V10 in the 36/37 foot models. Some of the shorter versions are doing a few suspension traditional upgrades and seem equally happy as well.

Still important to have the front end aligned, weigh and adjust tire pressure. 

The continuous water is a winning option that pushes the edge. The only option that still has me considering a used Newmar Ventana dp at mid 30's is the comfort drive.

It is likely you got the 24,000 gvwr, which probably can later be easily upgraded to 26,000 if you desire more weight capacity. If you get the Ford SuperDuty F53 brochure and compare the 24 and 26, you should come to the same conclusion. The brochure is worth the read, regardless.

This chassis is used across the board now and despite some marketing hype, it is no different between mfgs and any special options are not exclusive anyway.

There is a very strong and persuasive argument, if you are on top of your game, that a new gasser below 40 ft is the way to go unless you are full timing and will spend more time sitting inside your rv than traveling.

Some questions about the 39 foot gas models adequacy of the V10.

The closer you get to $100K, the less relevant arguing depreciation as a basis for buying used, especially when you have to assume $10,000 to $20,000 to get a used dp road ready and for replacements of old/used components.

There is also a very strong argument that too many rv owners are really not on top of their maintenance and care. However, newer model quality issues can be a drag to deal with. I don't know about Itasca, but Newmar seems to be gaining a reputation for being on the minimal end of the spectrum for new buyer frustration.

BinaryBob said:
What?? When did that happen? You mean I can no longer look down my nose at mere Winnebago owners?? ;D
Seriously, I've got a major crush on that 37F and am hoping to upgrade to a newer unit soon.

I guess we need to rename this forum section to the "Winnebago/Itasca-specific issues"... ;D

(And to any newcomers on the board, no we don't love Winnie's here any more than other RV's... this section originated when a long-time Winnebago group was "adopted" here at RVF from another area of the internet.  ;))

Back
Top Bottom