EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Greater capacity freezer?  (Read 1262 times)

G Man

• ---
Greater capacity freezer?
« on: April 02, 2015, 09:21:12 AM »
Hello all.
We will soon be in our Thor Hurricane. It has a small frig and freezer. Does anyone have any experience with how to obtain greater freezer capacity? We want to be able to freeze more foods. A portable unit? A hardwired small freezer positioned in one of the outside storage bins?
Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!
G Man

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Greater capacity freezer?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:48 AM »
If you have the space, a portable would fill the bill, but they are pricey. Here's a modest size one for $560:

http://www.livingdirect.com/FP630-Spacious-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP630,default,pd.html?cgid=Home_Appliances-Freezers-Portable_Freezers

Will you have shore power available? If so, a 120v only model is probably less expensive and better performing as well. Set it up outside and plug it direct to an outlet on the power pedestal.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Wigpro

• ---
    • Capt Jim Lucas
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »
I bought a small 1.2 cu ft cube freezer and love it....it sits under my dinette and is for my more bulk storage - I move items from it to the small freezer a few days before needed....it could easily be in an outside compartment.

This is what I got HERE!

Good luck,

Jim
Full time traveler, fishing guide and photographer!

Travel Blog: http://captjimtravelblog.blogspot.com

Photo Site: http://captjim.smugmug.com/

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
I have a Dometic fairly large size, that sits on a slideout tray in a storage bay.  As Gary says they are pricey, but you can also find them used, I bought a smaller second one for $300.  My big one I got at an RV dealer where it had been removed from an RV where the buyer didn't want it!  I was working part time for the dealer and got it for $400.  It was retailing for about $1600 at the time.  Really nice because  can set it too be a freezer or just a really nice cooler. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
We bought a small - 3.2 cubic foot - freezer and when stopped had it sitting next to the dinette and backed up the wall. I had to turn some to get in and out of my seat but it was worth it. I made a platform with wheels that it sat on.
When we were travelling I rolled it back to the bed and held it in place with a ratcheting tie down strap connected to a couple of eye hooks fitted into the side of the bed.
[/size]All of the small freezers I looked at specified that they should be in a ventilated space but I have two different friends that kept them in basement compartments and they seemed to work okay and held up for years.[/color]
[/size][/color]
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

Hosted by Over The Network