Greater capacity freezer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G Man

Hello all.
We will soon be in our Thor Hurricane. It has a small frig and freezer. Does anyone have any experience with how to obtain greater freezer capacity? We want to be able to freeze more foods. A portable unit? A hardwired small freezer positioned in one of the outside storage bins?
Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!
G Man

If you have the space, a portable would fill the bill, but they are pricey. Here's a modest size one for $560:

http://www.livingdirect.com/FP630-Spacious-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP630,default,pd.html?cgid=Home_Appliances-Freezers-Portable_Freezers

Will you have shore power available? If so, a 120v only model is probably less expensive and better performing as well. Set it up outside and plug it direct to an outlet on the power pedestal.

I bought a small 1.2 cu ft cube freezer and love it....it sits under my dinette and is for my more bulk storage - I move items from it to the small freezer a few days before needed....it could easily be in an outside compartment.

This is what I got HERE!

Good luck,

Jim

I have a Dometic fairly large size, that sits on a slideout tray in a storage bay.  As Gary says they are pricey, but you can also find them used, I bought a smaller second one for $300.  My big one I got at an RV dealer where it had been removed from an RV where the buyer didn't want it!  I was working part time for the dealer and got it for $400.  It was retailing for about $1600 at the time.  Really nice because  can set it too be a freezer or just a really nice cooler. 

We bought a small - 3.2 cubic foot - freezer and when stopped had it sitting next to the dinette and backed up the wall. I had to turn some to get in and out of my seat but it was worth it. I made a platform with wheels that it sat on.
When we were travelling I rolled it back to the bed and held it in place with a ratcheting tie down strap connected to a couple of eye hooks fitted into the side of the bed.
[font=arial, sans-serif][/size]All of the small freezers I looked at specified that they should be in a ventilated space but I have two different friends that kept them in basement compartments and they seemed to work okay and held up for years.[/font]

Back
Top Bottom