Firewood across state lines...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I do most of my camping in my home state I'm not too worried. I get my own firewood at the site. Since my sites typically boondocking there is plenty where I'm at. But now if I was going to Montana which I will do this year some time. I wouldn't want to haul firewood all the way to the camp site from home. I would most likely do without the camp fire anyways or be out boondocking again where wood is plentiful. But normally I don't burn camp fires most of the season here in Idaho is banned to open burning after May typically. People still light up camp fires even though there is sign every where stating no open camp fires. 

I guess my real question is....Would you take the risk of spreading such a bug to another area, state, etc. to save a few bucks?

In a word, no.

One time we were leaving Prince Edward Island and had to drive through a special solution and then the agricultural people checked the undercarriage.  PEI was having a potato pest of some kind and they were trying to prevent it from going to the mainland.  Also, during our last drought in California, the pine trees in our yard were attacked by a borer because they were weakened from lack of water.  The borers would go to the heart of tree and it would die from the inside out.  Jerry's parents lost one of their beautiful old elm trees to the Emerald Ash Borer.  So it just isn't worth moving wood around from place to place.  If you want wood for campfires it's better to buy treated wood that won't spread these pests.

And - don't forget to wash off the hull of your boat to get rid of some of the pests that are migrating from one lake to another!  The California Agricultural checkpoints are checking every boat passing through for Quogga Mussels that clog the dam tubes and turbines.

ArdraF

We do not carry firewood with us.  Have camped where the owners did not allow outside wood of any kind.  Saw a class A unloading his wood stash at the gate so he could get in.  Have no problem with their policy.  The campground is beautifully wooded and they want to protect their investment.

From their web site:

"Firewood Policy
No outside firewood is allowed into the campground, due to the many tree killing insects and diseases that can live in wood. [email protected]
(231) 436-5584

No one is permitted to bring firewood into the campground (here's why...)

We remind all campers when they make a reservation NOT to bring in outside firewood, due to the many non-native and/or tree killing insects and diseases that can live in the wood. Bringing in outside firewood can cause new infestations, which destroy the trees in our campground. Even if your firewood has no visible indications of insects or disease, they may still be present. Tiny threats such as a few insect eggs or fungus spores are enough to devastate an entire forest.

It does not matter whether you plan to burn all of your wood or not: a little chip of bark or a rain storm is all it would take to infest our local trees with a potential insect or disease. These infestations are incredibly difficult to control and usually require replacing large sums of trees. The difficulty often comes in the form of non-native insects and diseases, which our trees have no natural defenses against. With no natural defenses to stop them, infestations are able to get out of control very quickly, usually killing many trees before it can be controlled or stopped.

Michigan is currently facing infestations that include:

the Emerald Ash Borer
    Beech Bark Disease
    Dutch elm disease
    the European Gypsy Moth
    the Asian Longhorned Beetle
    Hemlock Woolly Adeelgid
    Thousand Cankers Disease
    Balsam Woolly Adelgid
    oak wilt fungus
    Giant Hogweed

Photo of an Emerald Ash Borer, a reason why it is illegal to move firewood in Michigan.

The Emerald Ash Borer is one of the primary concerns (although NOT the only concern). Entire forests of trees have been clear-cut to our south and in the Upper Peninsula, because people unwittingly move firewood that often contains the Emerald Ash Borer larva or beetles. This particular tree-killing insect has already caused the destruction of tens of millions of ash trees in southeastern Michigan alone, not counting the tens of millions more lost in other states.

Since a large percentage of the trees within the campground are Ash, the borer is a significant risk to our trees. Watch our video to see what steps the campground is taking to recover from potential infestation by the Emerald Ash Borer. Then scroll down to see what the DNR has to say about this issue."

"The State of Michigan's Department of Natural Resources has also stated:"

"Transporting firewood also transports insects and diseases. Emerald Ash Borer, an invasive insect that has impacted nearly 10 million trees throughout southeast Michigan, is perhaps the most prominent threat to Michigan's forests, but it is not alone. Beech bark disease, Dutch elm disease and gypsy moths are the top threats in a growing list of firewood hitchhikers."

"It is illegal to move any hardwood firewood out of the Lower Peninsula no matter where it originated. Hardwood firewood being brought over the Mackinac Bridge will be confiscated. ...we encourage all campers to buy local sources of firewood when they camp..."

Len and Jo said:
We do not carry firewood with us.  Have camped where the owners did not allow outside wood of any kind.  Saw a class A unloading his wood stash at the gate so he could get in.  Have no problem with their policy.  The campground is beautifully wooded and they want to protect their investment.

From their web site:

"Firewood Policy
No outside firewood is allowed into the campground, due to the many tree killing insects and diseases that can live in wood. [email protected]
(231) 436-5584

No one is permitted to bring firewood into the campground (here's why...)

We remind all campers when they make a reservation NOT to bring in outside firewood, due to the many non-native and/or tree killing insects and diseases that can live in the wood. Bringing in outside firewood can cause new infestations, which destroy the trees in our campground. Even if your firewood has no visible indications of insects or disease, they may still be present. Tiny threats such as a few insect eggs or fungus spores are enough to devastate an entire forest.

It does not matter whether you plan to burn all of your wood or not: a little chip of bark or a rain storm is all it would take to infest our local trees with a potential insect or disease. These infestations are incredibly difficult to control and usually require replacing large sums of trees. The difficulty often comes in the form of non-native insects and diseases, which our trees have no natural defenses against. With no natural defenses to stop them, infestations are able to get out of control very quickly, usually killing many trees before it can be controlled or stopped.

Michigan is currently facing infestations that include:

the Emerald Ash Borer
    Beech Bark Disease
    Dutch elm disease
    the European Gypsy Moth
    the Asian Longhorned Beetle
    Hemlock Woolly Adeelgid
    Thousand Cankers Disease
    Balsam Woolly Adelgid
    oak wilt fungus
    Giant Hogweed

Photo of an Emerald Ash Borer, a reason why it is illegal to move firewood in Michigan.

The Emerald Ash Borer is one of the primary concerns (although NOT the only concern). Entire forests of trees have been clear-cut to our south and in the Upper Peninsula, because people unwittingly move firewood that often contains the Emerald Ash Borer larva or beetles. This particular tree-killing insect has already caused the destruction of tens of millions of ash trees in southeastern Michigan alone, not counting the tens of millions more lost in other states.

Since a large percentage of the trees within the campground are Ash, the borer is a significant risk to our trees. Watch our video to see what steps the campground is taking to recover from potential infestation by the Emerald Ash Borer. Then scroll down to see what the DNR has to say about this issue."

"The State of Michigan's Department of Natural Resources has also stated:"

"Transporting firewood also transports insects and diseases. Emerald Ash Borer, an invasive insect that has impacted nearly 10 million trees throughout southeast Michigan, is perhaps the most prominent threat to Michigan's forests, but it is not alone. Beech bark disease, Dutch elm disease and gypsy moths are the top threats in a growing list of firewood hitchhikers."

"It is illegal to move any hardwood firewood out of the Lower Peninsula no matter where it originated. Hardwood firewood being brought over the Mackinac Bridge will be confiscated. ...we encourage all campers to buy local sources of firewood when they camp..."

I guess the bugs in the wood unloaded at the gate knew to stay out of the campsite ...

Thank you, Len and Jo. While a very lengthy reply, it does explain what is going on here in MI with these bugs.

A short note on why this issue concerns me...
I don't tow. My TT is nestled between a river and 20+ acres of trees/open field that belongs to me. I am surrounded by another 215 acres of national forest, along with another 80 acres of county school property (wooded).
There is a popular CG only a few miles away.

Bringing infested firewood where you shouldn't, just to save a couple of bucks, can wreak havoc in my little piece of paradise. Not to mention the hundreds of other landowners around me.
And this not only a MI problem.

A new camping season is about to start in our northern states. We are starting to thaw out. Please be responsible and think of those you may impact by your decisions.

I understand the risk that comes with the movement of firewood - and am 100% behind the DNR's efforts to enforce regulations governing the transport of wood.  However, in the next breath - I can't help but state that I view the prohibition on "any outside" firewood applied without consideration of the source as anything more than a "revenue maximization" strategy from the guy trying to force me to spent $5 for $1 worth of wood simply because he's got me over a barrel.

We don't rarely do campfires in the summer .. but for our fall trips when we literally "burn all day" - we like to purchase a face cord from a local supplier and have it delivered to the campsite.  Is there a risk ... arguably yes ... but, unless you're burning wood where it fell / was felled ... ANY movement creates the risk of transmission of bugs and disease.  There's an entire industry out there providing firewood to locals - which is deemed acceptable. 

The "no outside firewood" rules that some campgrounds enforce is all about the benjamins ... and sucks!!!

spacenorman said:
Is there a risk ... arguably yes ... but, unless you're burning wood where it fell / was felled ... ANY movement creates the risk of transmission of bugs and disease.  There's an entire industry out there providing firewood to locals - which is deemed acceptable. 

The "no outside firewood" rules that some campgrounds enforce is all about the benjamins ... and sucks!!!

Good point. And that is exactly what I do. I have a fire going in my pit the whole time I'm at the campsite. All firewood from my own property.  Many around me live there year around and heat their homes with wood from their properties.
Anyone bringing in infested wood from an outside area to our neck of the woods could have a very bad economic effect. All because you might want to save a few bucks for the weekend you are in the area.

It may suck. But depending where you camp, the impact goes way beyond your wallet.
Do you care enough?

I don't have issue with the people making money off the sales of firewood in restricted areas. It really isn't that expensive.  In most places, selling firewood is only a seasonal enterprise, so Im thinking they are probably not making a ton of money to begin with.  And besides, when you buy wood at the campground, or near the campground, its already cut and split and a lot of times will be delivered to your campsite. You dont have to worry about making room for it and can take along more of your stuff.  I for one have never had green wood. I've had wood that has been wet from heavy rains, but the wood stacked in my back yard is in the same condition, so no big difference. It eventually dries and burns well.

(edited to add)... I for one think its important to put some effort into keeping our planet nice. Its not gonna happen on its own.

cadee2c said:
In most places, selling firewood is only a seasonal enterprise, so Im thinking they are probably not making a ton of money to begin with.

I beg to differ at least where I live. I live in New England and cutting trees, splitting firewood is a full time year round job or business for a lot of people. The campgrounds are buying the wood from them and they in turn sell it to us and I feel at a huge profit. And many campgrounds, they only sell softwood and it burns so fast, if you want a campfire the next night, you have to buy another bundle.

Rene T said:
I beg to differ at least where I live. I live in New England and cutting trees, splitting firewood is a full time year round job or business for a lot of people. The campgrounds are buying the wood from them and they in turn sell it to us and I feel at a huge profit. And many campgrounds, they only sell softwood and it burns so fast, if you want a campfire the next night, you have to buy another bundle.

Same thing happens in MI. Not rocket science. You get what you pay for.
But the locals know what kind of wood, and how much of it, they need to get through a winter to heat their home. Many own acres of property from which they get their firewood from.

If you are going to cry about having to spend another couple of dollars to have another campfire the next night, think about the locals who worries about the next months worth of heat for his home.

Also, the area where my TT is located is a tourist area. Meaning, they roll up the sidewalks after the hunting season here in MI is over. The locals will have to make it on their own throughout the winter. Including local businesses. No outside revenue. The reason most residents heat their homes with wood.

Outsiders sneaking in infested wood does make a big impact in this area. And this is such a small piece of MI.
Think about it.

denmarc said:
Outsiders sneaking in infested wood does make a big impact in this area. And this is such a small piece of MI.

I see you're one of the people "Sneaking" wood into a campground. Whether you're a local or a outsider, what gives you the right to burn your own wood. I don't see you buying wood at the campground like everyone else. How do you know your wood is not infested?  That's my issue. I have my own wood cut on my own property and I still can't bring it into many campgrounds.

I solved the problem with a propane fire pit.  I don't miss the smoke, and when I'm done I just turn it off.  No mess to clean up, no sinus problems from smoke, and no wood to carry or buy.

denmarc said:
Good point. And that is exactly what I do. I have a fire going in my pit the whole time I'm at the campsite. All firewood from my own property.  Many around me live there year around and heat their homes with wood from their properties.
Anyone bringing in infested wood from an outside area to our neck of the woods could have a very bad economic effect. All because you might want to save a few bucks for the weekend you are in the area.

It may suck. But depending where you camp, the impact goes way beyond your wallet.
Do you care enough?

I'm NOT against rules and regulations that actually protect the environment.  To the contrary, I'm all for 'em.  While there are some that are burning wood harvested from their own property - there's also plenty of locals purchasing firewood from local firewood harvested from within the area - which is perceived as both safe and legal. 

My issue is with those campgrounds who enforce blanket "no outside wood" rules - and preventing me from purchasing wood from a local (to the campground) supplier - simply to force me to pay the exorbitant "by the bundle" prices to have a campfire. 

I cant speak for all states, but in Minnesota, you can bring in wood as long as you have a receipt that says the wood has been inspected and/or treated for invasive insects. The DNR sells wood at the campsites for about $3-$5 a bundle. The local stop-n-robs charge about the same price, but I always felt they were smaller bundles, or at least cut smaller so they burned faster.

By most state and local parks you can find good folks to sell a load of camp wood for a fair price. Most times the wood is aged and ready to burn. But now some parks have gone to NO outside wood allowed. Not even from down the street.  Sorry but the wire fence does not stop insects. This is just designed to force you to buy the wood from them and has nothing to do with the issue. I carry the propane pit. Gives a nice fire and cost less to run. I have my wood fires in my backyard or local camp.

I think Rene is misunderstanding something here. I cut my own wood, burn in my own firepit, on my own property. I'm not sneaking anything. I'm not transporting anything, anywhere. I don't tow. I do own acreage of woods I would like to protect.

My original question stems from having 2 campgrounds within a few miles from me. One private, one state campground. All surrounded by national forest land, as well as acres upon acres of private wooded land in which could be infested by out of county/state campers. I understand the anger of campers finding out that the campground they just arrived at doesn't accept outside firewood. But, would you bring your own firewood from just anywhere to save money knowing you could be passing on a bug to the neighboring landowners? Does it matter if it's illegal in some areas? Does ignorance matter?

In December 2014, the Minnesota Department of Agriculture confirmed the first infestation in Dakota County at Lebanon Hills Regional Park. This is the first confirmation of an infestation in Dakota county where I am. Up to now, infestations had previously been confirmed in several Twin City metro locations, including St. Paul, Minneapolis, Falcon Heights, Shoreview, and Bloomington. So, chances are, someone from one of these areas brought in their own firewood, ignoring the rules. At least now they have a vaccine for the trees, hopefully they can save them rather than just cutting them all down.  :'(

cadee2c said:
At least now they have a vaccine for the trees, hopefully they can save them rather than just cutting them all down.  :'(

I hope so too. When the Emerald Ash Borer started munching on all the Ash trees here in MI, there were traps hanging from every Ash tree in sight that at least looked somewhat healthy. Did some good. But not enough.

Hope your area has better luck with whatever bug you're dealing with. 

Back
Top Bottom