Imac with retina display

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Anyone have any experience with this computer.  I need to replace my old Imac and was thinking of the new Imac 27.  The one with Retina display $700 more than basic Imac 27.  Aside from the Ultra HD screen what I like is the 1TB fusion drive.  Just don't know if it's worth the additional money.  We take our mac with us when we travel.  Any thoughts?

While I don't have that specific computer, I recently bought a new macbook after my iMac finally bit the dust. The thing that I miss most about having the iMac is that the display is huge! The screens are beautiful. I don't think that you will be disappointed with a retina display.

I have an iPad with the retina display.  I like it a lot. 

Right after I bought it Amazon released their Fire HD with a display almost as good, and they have since created an even better one.  Would I pay an additional $700 for one?  Nope.  I'd buy a Mac mini server with 2 1TB drives and a non Apple 4K display and pocket the left over money.

I bought an iMac 27 with the 1440 resolution.  Not the Retina but better than 21 iMacs. 

Muddy, two days earlier I bought a Mini thinking it would make more sense with the limited space we have in the motorhome.  Tried it with two of our televisions and the resolution was pretty bad.  I would have bought a 4K monitor but the Mini only supports them at 24Hz.  Took it back and got the 27.  They've changed a few things over the years which I'm not happy with but at least it doesn't freeze on me every 15 minutes. 

Don't know if the server would be able to drive it but I'd check it out before buying the 4K display. 

You're probably up against limitations of HDMI and the physical capabilities of the display, including the refresh rate.

I was thinking more of something like this:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9126139&CatId=11877

I was a mac fan, and have a mac mini at home.
I'd go with an imac over it, just to reduce the cable clutter... but I'm not sure I'd go with the higher priced one.  The std imac is pretty good.... enough for me anyway to save the money.

But recently, I went another direction and I'm so far pretty happy with it.  Bought a chromebook.  I didn't get the super high res pixle, but there are ok ones out there if you can do with a smaller screen.
My only real regret with mine is I wish that i had spent a bit more form the increased ram.
I haven't explored the specs, but I'd consider a chromebase if I were looking for an all-in-one

8Muddypaws said:
You're probably up against limitations of HDMI and the physical capabilities of the display, including the refresh rate.
Could be.  Didn't have a cable to connect the thunderbolt port. 

I was thinking more of something like this:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9126139&CatId=11877

Google 'Mini compatible displays' to find the best monitor.  I considered the Viewsonic but was concerned about the ability of the Mini to power it. 
Check the Mini Tech Specs here . http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/. 

Hmmmmmm, that made me curious about what the refresh rate on the iMac w/retina might be.  I looked through apple's sales hype and did not find it, but I'm thinking it's probably the same as the Mini.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom