Brake job today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rstrahan

Got a 1969 Mercury Monterey convertible, only 1200 made.  Then add the fact that it had disc brakes, which was an upgrade from the usual drum brakes.  With brake failure, now time to do a complete front brake replacement.  But finding brake hoses was a real PITA.  Had to go to a company on EBay.  Only provider, makes new hoses, not NOS.  pricy, but hopefully won't need to replace for another 20 years.  But you don't skimp on brakes, especially with a car that is bigger and heavier than most pickups. 

So this weekend, time to get greasy.

And in the category of old cars means stuck parts....brake line twisted in two when one of the fittings froze up when removing the caliper.  Oh, well.  More fun and games

PB Blaster is your friend, but some things are beyond help! Post a pic of said car when your done and clean!

NICE! While you have the calipers off make sure their piston compress freely, the bleeders are not seized or plugged, and lube the slides with small amount of either lithium grease or dielectric silicone.
and I'm jealous, love them big old FoMoCo products. Judging from the Disc Brake option I'm guessing a 428 instead of the 390?

No, the 390.  Wish I had the 428, 390 is actually underpowered for this car.  But it is a great cruiser.  Actually a fairly low mileage car.  But now am waiting for a new caliper.  Seems that one had a bunged up brake hose port fitting, shipped back to the plant for a replacement. 

It is always something.

Power steering pump work is next.

It's all relative.  I had a Ford XL convertible with a 390 in it and never thought it was underpowered.  On the other hand our other car was a '67 Bug.  (Now THAT'S underpowered!)

Back
Top Bottom