Your Thoughts on Either of These Three?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sondor

Hi,

In a previous thread, I posted that I'm looking for a trailer to live in while working for ~18months.

Something in the $4k-$6k range would be ideal if doable.

The trailer will be at an RV park with full services.

I'd like something comfortable for the evenings and weekends but it's just me, as a single male and I live pretty modestly. I'll have my computer to keep me occupied in my time off and it sounds like I can get internet where I'll be.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on either of these three trailers that to my untrained and unknowing eye look to be OK for the job intended:

https://salem.craigslist.org/rvd/4963038408.html

or

https://salem.craigslist.org/rvd/4954601287.html

or a little bit smaller -

https://salem.craigslist.org/rvd/4961621230.html

If I could be comfortable and not feel claustrophobic, then I'd lean towards the last one but it may be a bit small to "live-in", even if only evenings and some weekends?

I would opt for the Komfort. They are well built and other than the interior colors, it looks in good condition. It's also a 5th so you have separate living quarters.
Do you have a truck and 5th wheel hitch or are you going to hire someone to move it for you?

Stan

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the feedback, that's just the sort I was looking for!

To answer your question, since it would just be lived-in while working and then resold, I'd pay to have it moved or ask the seller to put it in place if I purchased it for the asking price. At least that was the *thought* for what it's worth.

Seems like anything in the lower-end of the spectrum has pretty dated looking and even feminine interiors. Guess that shows who makes the ultimate buying decisions in most cases!  :-X

Both the Sportsmaster and the Komfort look pretty clean. Assuming they both actually are as good as they show in the photos, it would probably boil down to which suits you best. Both look like surprisingly good values for the price.

I am partial to the 5th wheel - I have a small one and have lived in it full time for 4 years while traveling - I like the fact that the bed is in a separate area from the living area....

Good Luck,

Jim

Keep in mind that "asking price" may be higher than "willing to take price."  Or negotiating the delivery that you require.

COMer said:
Keep in mind that "asking price" may be higher than "willing to take price."  Or negotiating the delivery that you require.

Thanks COMer,

I wonder if there's a general rule on how much a dealership will negotiate on low-end used ($4k-$8k range)?

I'm seeing several dealership listings priced at ~$7-$8k that if negotiated down to my $6k preference look like contenders.

I'd prefer a private sale for a few reasons but don't want to rule out a good trailer just because it's at a dealership/lot.

Sondor said:
I wonder if there's a general rule on how much a dealership will negotiate on low-end used ($4k-$8k range)?

I'm seeing several dealership listings priced at ~$7-$8k that if negotiated down to my $6k preference look like contenders.

I'd prefer a private sale for a few reasons but don't want to rule out a good trailer just because it's at a dealership/lot.

It sounds like you're paying cash rather than financing and if so then use that to your advantage while negotiating with a dealer. Ask for his best cash price up front letting the sales manager know he won't be needing to set up financing, which is usually attractive to most dealers, and at the same time conveys that you are a serious buyer. If possible refuse the first number he gives you without revealing what you want to pay yet, so you can get his number as close to your number as possible, reducing the chances of him disregarding your offer as a low ball. As the saying goes, "money talks and everything else walks." Anyway, some of that may not be relevant since financing may not be available on an older trailer like the ones you're considering anyway, but the rest holds true, at least in my experience.

As for the three trailers you posted it looks like the first one has been deleted, but of the remaining two I would choose the Sportsmaster. I am usually partial to fifth-wheels but in that year range I would not want to deal with the potential (inevitability?) of slide problems. Plus you'll be able to find someone to help you move the Sportsmaster since they won't need a fifth wheel hitch, and that's if don't already own or have access to something that could move it already. It does look relatively well taken care of, and I think you'll agree that the fiberglass outside makes it look much newer than it really is, as opposed to the aluminum on the Coachman, and it will also be easier to keep warm when it's cold out.

Also, I am sure you already know this, but I am inclined to tell you just in case you missed it that both of those trailers are from a dealer, not private individuals.

I'm partial to the Coachman 5th wheel between it and the Sportmaster (the first listing is deleted).

The Sportmaster doesn't have a slide, which restricts it's interior space.  Look at the placement of the standalone chair, which because of the wheel well behind it partially blocks the legroom from the sofa and the aisle going back to the bedroom/bathroom.

The Coachman has a larger tub/shower and the slideout increases the interior room, even though it's just the dinette.  You shouldn't have to worry about it's reliability if you're only going to set it up once or twice.

Either one should do you well, though.

Back
Top Bottom