Inside release for screen door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pushrod

Has anyone figured out how to install a handle on the inside of the screen door so you don't have to slide the plexiglass panel back to open the screen door from the inside of the coach?  Pain in the neck to always slide the panel back, also causes wear on the plexiglass.

Our first two motorhomes had magnetic screen door latches, which, in our opinions, were far easier to use than the kind with the little handles that must be unlatched. Not only do you have to slide the little door open to unlatch it when you're outside, it's also difficult to unlatch on your way out if your hands are full.

Our current motorhome HAD the handle-latch system when we bought it but that was the first mod I made to the coach when we got it home. Two small magnets hold it in the closed position and one holds it in the open position. Just give it a nudge on your way out when your hands are full and it opens right up. I put a little handle on the outside of the screen door so all you've got to do is tug on it and it opens right up. It's wonderful. Ahhh, the simple things in life!! A cheap mod too.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Our first two motorhomes had magnetic screen door latches, which, in our opinions, were far easier to use than the kind with the little handles that must be unlatched. Not only do you have to slide the little door open to unlatch it when you're outside, it's also difficult to unlatch on your way out if your hands are full.

Our current motorhome HAD the handle-latch system when we bought it but that was the first mod I made to the coach when we got it home. Two small magnets hold it in the closed position and one holds it in the open position. Just give it a nudge on your way out when your hands are full and it opens right up. I put a little handle on the outside of the screen door so all you've got to do is tug on it and it opens right up. It's wonderful. Ahhh, the simple things in life!! A cheap mod too.

Kev

Ken,
When you open your outside door from the outside, does the screen door also opens with that door or does it stay shut? You said you have two magnets to hold it closed and one to hold it to the outside door. Is that right. I like the idea of the magnets but I don't know how many to put on it.

Good question. You can have it either way. I've got mine set up so when I open the main door, the screen door stays shut. I set it up that way by placing two magnets on the coach-side of the screen door and only one magnet on the door-side of the screen door. The two magnets on the coach-side overpower the single magnet on the door-side and hold the screen door closed. You could reverse the placement of the magnets and the screen door would open when you opened the main door - personal preference.

When you open the main door from inside the coach, it's very easy to simultaneously open the screen door. You just give the screen door a little nudge and it sticks to the magnet on the main door. Did I explain that adequately? I can attach some pics if it would help.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Did I explain that adequately? I can attach some pics if it would help.

Yes you did Kev. I think what I might do is leave the latch mechanism which holds the screen door to the outside door so that it opens with the outside door. Then I would put magnets to hold the screen door shut when the outside door is open. A picture showing the 2  magnets may help to give me an idea on how to install mine.  Thanks.  ;)

previous owner rigged up a pull string to do this.  Took about a week for one mu cats to figure this out and luckily I was there when he grabbed the string and had the screen door opening.  I later add a screen door closure mechanism that will bring door back closed as wife would be lazy and not shut it complete.

maybe get those soft magnetic screen doors that can push in and out easily by humans?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom