Find Me Spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

A couple of years ago my family bought me a SPOT, last weekend I used for the first time when I went out four-wheeling with another guy. I was able to check in with my family every couple of hours using the device when there was no cellular service. There are three types of messages, and one progress tracking button. There is an emergency button for family members and there is a SOS button to send for Search and Rescue.

I often go out into the desert alone, and the SPOT gives my wife a little peace of mind.

The SPOT web page says this about their product The SPOT product family offers peace of mind beyond the boundaries of cellular. Whether you want to check in, make calls or monitor your prized possessions, SPOT uses 100% satellite technology to keep you connected to the people and things that matters most, all while using the world's most modern satellite network.

I would recommend this service to any adventurous person who enjoys the back country.

Been looking at those as Chrystal and I often go out alone because everyone else cancels on us. :mad:

That may give Jared a bit of comfort while we are off playing and he is unable to go with us.

Mike.

Susan says it is worth the expense, each time you check in it gives your exact GPS Coordinates. The Track Progress feature looks like it will be fun to mess with this weekend. I haven't used that feature yet, but from what I understand it will track your progress at regular intervals giving GPS Coordinates whenever it makes a progress report, which I can then later transfer to a map.

My issue with SPOT and locator beacons in general is that people use them to get into situations well past their ability, with the mentality that they just have to press the button to get rescued. The hiker that died in a snowstorm on Mount Washington (New Hampshire) a couple of months ago is a good example.

HappyWanderer said:
My issue with SPOT and locator beacons in general is that people use them to get into situations well past their ability, with the mentality that they just have to press the button to get rescued. The hiker that died in a snowstorm on Mount Washington (New Hampshire) a couple of months ago is a good example.

Well, nothing can replace common sense...

Oscar Mike said:
Well, nothing can replace common sense...

And common sense is not as common as it once was.  I see things at work every day and have to scratch my head and think "what were they thinking?"

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
And common sense is not as common as it once was.  I see things at work every day and have to scratch my head and think "what were they thinking?"

Mike.

You have a point... I know when I am alone in the back country I do not intentionally put myself in harm's way, but you never know what is just around the next bend, hence the SPOT. Knock on wood, I have been doing all the things I want to do by myself all my life, and especially these days since my sons are raising their own families now. I am not going to quit doing the things I love to do just because I do it alone.

This weekend is different. I'll be with a large group of people (20 Jeeps) that I've never met. I don't know what is more concerning to me, going it alone or being with a bunch of folks who may or may not know trail etiquette; may or may not pack tools, 1st aid, or even water.

It'll be an interesting outing this weekend. And I am going to use the Track My Progress Feature on my SPOT.

SPOT works really well. Some friends of mine motored down the Mississippi to the gulf, heading to Belize. No sooner did they get to open water when a storm almost wiped them out. Their communications were wiped out, but their SPOT worked, so we knew they were ok.

When I was traveling alone all over Alaska my Spot went with me everywhere...I am cautious when I am out alone, but also feel I need to Be Prepared (I was a Scout) and feel it is important to be able to solve the problem myself if need be and travel prepared, but part of that preparedness is the ability to call for help, either for myself or finding someone in need of assistance in the middle of nowhere, something that has happened to me many times!

I don't travel in the remote areas as much as I used to, but my son does and he now has my Spot.

They serve a very useful purpose and should be a requirement for extensive backcountry exploring.

Jim

We (my siblings and I) will have to check into Spot.  We are the last private land owners between us and the Canadian border.  Although we were taught by our mother how to survive in the woods and how to find our way out of the woods it would be reassuring to have Spot for the rest of our extended family.

Wigpro said:
They serve a very useful purpose and should be a requirement for extensive backcountry exploring.

Jim,

I would add this to your comment, the user must become proficient in the use of the device.  We see many calls for help when all that is really needed is for people to stop and think about the situation.  Many needless calls for search and rescue.  Here if they call for help, they are removed from the woods/mountains regardless of the actual circumstances, i.e., they were not in any real danger etc.

Oscar Mike said:
A couple of years ago my family bought me a SPOT, last weekend I used for the first time when I went out four-wheeling with another guy. I was able to check in with my family every couple of hours using the device when there was no cellular service.
I have both the Spot Messenger and Delorme in-Reach. If you want true two-way communications, and want to have no doubt that your message got out, the InReach is much better.

However, it's one of those many things I pay for every month but rarely use. But when needed, it's more than worth all the expense.

I get more use from my Spot, but I mainly use it as a toy. But I have also used it a couple of times to get a tow over the years. Even once for the RV when I was in Canada, when my CPS (Crank Position Sensor) crapped out.

IIRC, the InReach can be used for a boat tow, but the Spot for a road vehicle tow (any type of vehicle, RV, motorcycle, etc). In some parts of Nevada, the Spot gives me comfort knowing I can request a tow far from any cell service. But with the inReach I can communicate two-ways with any e-mail, other InReach Unit, or somebody who has a cell who is in cell range, even if I am not in cell range myself. It has to be in short text messages of 160 characters max, IIRC.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I think they are fantastic !
My wife has been using one for five years on our canoe and kayak excursions.

We winter in the Florida Keys and almost on a daily basis we are exploring the far off shore Keys

Our adult children and friends can share our experiences wherever we are.

We recently got back from a multiday wilderness camping trip in the Everglades national Park back country and when we got back we had comments from friends as far away as England saying they followed us each day.

They are not only good for safety, but also for keeping a log. When we get back my wife can download the trip and we can trace ourselves on Google Earth.

We use it as a tracking tool and hope we never have to use the SOS feature.

The data obtained from it is worth it to us

Those who knock it should  learn more about it before knocking it.

It has an SOS button, but we didn't get it for that.    I have a PLB for that if I ever needed it

Jack L

Oscar Mike said:
You have a point... I know when I am alone in the back country I do not intentionally put myself in harm's way, but you never know what is just around the next bend, hence the SPOT. Knock on wood, I have been doing all the things I want to do by myself all my life, and especially these days since my sons are raising their own families now. I am not going to quit doing the things I love to do just because I do it alone.

This weekend is different. I'll be with a large group of people (20 Jeeps) that I've never met. I don't know what is more concerning to me, going it alone or being with a bunch of folks who may or may not know trail etiquette; may or may not pack tools, 1st aid, or even water.

It'll be an interesting outing this weekend. And I am going to use the Track My Progress Feature on my SPOT.

I hear ya John.  I know it is frowned upon but my wife and I have been going out alone alot lately just because people that we know are unreliable and keep cancelling at the last minute.  We are investigating a new local Jeep club.  I went out with them two weeks ago and they seemed to be great on the trail.  The first actual club meeting is tonight and I am anxious to see how we fit in and what Chrystal thinks.

Mike.

JackL said:
Those who knock it should  learn more about it before knocking it.

Those of us critical of these devices are very much aware of how they work, and how they should be used. Unfortunately, there have been too many incidents where rescuers have been placed in danger due to people using these devices improperly. Folks with no training, experience or equipment venture off into situations they have no business being in, because they can be saved from their own stupidity by pressing a button.

I agree that they're pretty cool. Among other uses, they're great for tracking SAR air and ground resources.

HappyWanderer said:
Folks with no training, experience or equipment venture off into situations they have no business being in, because they can be saved from their own stupidity by pressing a button.

Being prepared is far different from that which you are espousing. Every summer we hear of a person(s) dying because of exposure in the desert and as they tried to walk out from a flat tire, broken down vehicle etc. Every year we hear of people being lost in the mountains. If these people were prepared by owning and subscribing to SPOT they wouldn't become statistics.

Keep in mind the SPOT has two distinctly different emergency message functions. There is the SOS button which calls in the Search and Rescue teams, but there is also the Emergency Button that only goes out to your selected recipients with a pre-programmed message. My Emergency Message says, "I am in trouble, or broke down, or need gas but I am okay", and is sent to my wife, my two sons, and to my Facebook account. If that message is received by my family they know that within 36-48 hours I will be in need of real help. If I push the SOS button...I am in need of rescue for whatever reason.

HappyWanderer said:
Those of us critical of these devices are very much aware of how they work, and how they should be used. Unfortunately, there have been too many incidents where rescuers have been placed in danger due to people using these devices improperly. Folks with no training, experience or equipment venture off into situations they have no business being in, because they can be saved from their own stupidity by pressing a button.
Let's face it, those are the same people who would get themselves into those situations, with or without the device.  But at least with the device, they might be able to get their sorry asses saved from death or serious injury.

Every year, people venture into Tuckermans Ravine on Mount Washington, or onto trails they shouldn't be on, because they don't have the proper equipment, training, clothing, food, or water, and because of falls, or rapidly changing weather conditions, they die from injuries or exposure.
The same is also true, for people who go out into the ocean, without charts or navigation skills, lose sight of land, have a mechanical failure on board, or are on something which is not seaworthy, or not designed to be where they have taken it.

As a matter of fact, most of the people who do these stupid things, probably wouldn't take the time, or spend the money, to make one of these devices available to them, in case they needed it.  If they did think it through, and bought one of these, they might also think to properly research the trip they're about to take, and to properly equip themselves for their trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom