WHY????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobX2

Why is it that when someone posts here, asking for tips or advise on pulling their new RV, the first thing everyone wants to do is criticize and tell them that their new trailer is to big, and they can't/shouldn't pull it with their current TV? Come on people, they are looking for constructive advise to help them out. It's not like they are going to just park it, sell it, or run out and buy a new TV just because you all want to play the role of Barney Fife about weights. Instead, maybe try and give helpful thoughts or tips about how to make the best of what they are dealing with, and not try to scare them to death, so that when they do pull it they are an uptight, nervous wreck. Not very helpful. Really pisses me off every time all anyone can say is, "that is too big/heavy, I would never do that." They are going to do it, because that is what they own. We should try to help, not belittle and criticize. Maybe tips, or things they can do to make it as safe as possible. If all I wanted to hear was what I am doing wrong, this is the site I would come to first. If looking for helpful advise, it would be at the bottom of my list. That's just the reality of it. Don't believe it? Just read back through a bunch of old threads.

I would think that if someone is making an obvious safety mistake, such as hauling overweight, it would be doing them a favor to point this out.

And, as the old saying goes, "If you didn't want to know, you should not have asked"

Wow!!!!!
Read nine times with no comments . I'm thinking silence speaks for itself.  Maybe you could find someone pulling a Montana with a Ford ranger and trade him even for your Duramax

Look at it this way...
It's not to scare any new RV owner as to what they just bought. The fact of the matter is a lot of TT buyers buy something that their tow vehicle can't handle. They either didn't think of the TV when signing on the bottom line for the new TT, or they never did the research about their half ton pick-up thinking should be no problem pulling a 10K lb. TT or 5er. Only to find out too late that their truck doesn't even have a towing package.
A lot of the problems comes from buying used from private parties. Most new dealers will ask what you will be towing with and give a clue if there is question to whether the TV can handle it or not.

I agree. Subtle opinions should be stated. But keep in mind, maybe the questions from the buyer of the much too large/heavy RV should have been asked BEFORE they bought it. What "helpful hints" would you give such a person at that point?

BobX2 said:
If looking for helpful advise, it would be at the bottom of my list.

Cart before the horse?

That is how most forums work it's up to each person to weed thru and take the info they need and carry on.
Then also read this back in another post "thanks, but not here looking for advise on how to post. Feel free to post how you like, and I will do the same"

That's interesting advice. Don't tell them their making a mistake, encourage them to continue in their ill advised journey.

So when my neighbor tells me he's about to jump off the cliff, I should tell him to make sure he jumps as far as he can horizontally so he doesn't hit the rocks on the way down and can hit the bottom at full velocity. Got it!

Ken

What aggravates me is when people are within the specs the weight police are all over them just because they are pulling with a 1/2 ton. It seems like if the trailer weighs more than 6000 lbs, a 1/2 ton is not capable of towing it safely. The owner's experience towing and their comfort zone play a lot into it. Do I worry about being 260 pounds over GVWR (actually probably not that much, because I factored out the 150 pounds for driver and the weight of a full tank of gas), but well with in axle weight ratings and within the GCWR. NO! But on the other hand, would I pull loads like my BIL? NO!. He has a lot more experience towing and well understands what HIS limits are and has NEVER had an incident towing. If he got into an incident, would he be sued for being overweight? Who knows? I understand there are/may be liabilitiy issues with the "site" giving "bad advise", but people need to lay off if others are in their specs. Woulds a 3/4 ton pull my trailer better? My friends 2008 F-250 gasser couldn't hardly get my TT down the block, where I pull it just fine with my 1500, and stop it just fine too. I don't advocate telling people to overload their tow vehicle, just get real numbers and let them make the decision. As I and others have done in the past, try to get them to understand the sail effect that grows with trailer length.

bucks2 said:
That's interesting advice. Don't tell them their making a mistake, encourage them to continue in their ill advised journey.

So when my neighbor tells me he's about to jump off the cliff, I should tell him to make sure he jumps as far as he can horizontally so he doesn't hit the rocks on the way down and can hit the bottom at full velocity. Got it!

Ken

Right on Ken.  ;)  It's unbelievable that we're getting chastised for trying to help someone save their life, their families and mine.  What's this world coming to.

Slow down people.
IMHO, this forum isn't about a newbie buying something new or used. It's about helping those who have questions about their new or used RV. It doesn't matter if they are new to the hobby or have been camping/on the road for eons. Many here have been through the wringer when it comes to RVing. Questions are asked, answers are given. Hopefully with respect. And with the best intentions.

Maybe nobody is getting chastised. Maybe it's just a misunderstanding of how a forum works. OP just stated an opinion. Maybe since he is a "newbie" to this forum, he is getting an education.

It can happen!

As a newbie to this forum....My husband and I are going to go Fulltimer when I retire.....I am literally devouring every post I can find to learn the ins and outs of RVing.....(we are previous truck camper and tent folks), and I have yet to see or get the feeling that people are criticizing anyone......but could it be that BobX2 was having a bad day and his perception of the responses he reads are that way do to how he feels? 

BobX2, I'm sorry you have had that sort of feeling from this forum, and I hope that you have better success in the future with any questions that are answered here. Have a great weekend!!!  :) ;) :D ;D 8)

I actually find this forum to be very friendly and yes if someone is putting themselves or others on the road at risk it should be pointed out- that is usually why the question is posted. some answers are more direct than others. perhaps the OP thought he was posting this on RV.net......... LOL

Redheadangel37 said:
BobX2, I'm sorry you have had that sort of feeling from this forum, and I hope that you have better success in the future with any questions that are answered here. Have a great weekend!!!  :) ;) :D ;D 8)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

LOL, newbie... You guys slay me. Judging ones experience by the number of posts on a forum just fits right in with the mentality here. I have been a member for some time, but definitely don't fit in with the "in crowd" here, hence, not many posts. This thread wasn't about me, as I know what your answer is every time, and again you guys proved my point yet again. The herd just sticks together, for fear of stepping out of line and being ridiculed or chastised by the others. Baaaaaa, baaaaaaaa.

"OP just stated an opinion. Maybe since he is a "newbie" to this forum, he is getting an education"  Not by a long shot there, ace. I've been around this forum plenty long enough to understand the type of people that dominate this forum. Just look where you all have taken this thread already, from my original post to me being an uneducated newbie. Happens here every time someone doesn't conform to the herd. Baaaaa, baaaaa.

"That's interesting advice. Don't tell them their making a mistake, encourage them to continue in their ill advised journey.
Ken
"
How about, since you don't have a clue about how to answer, you just say nothing at all... instead of let's just fall back on our generic, "It's too heavy, don't do it, it's not safe, the sky is falling..." Baaaaa, baaaaa

If someone tows with a 1/2 ton, they should be using a 3/4 ton. If pulling with a 3/4 ton, they should be using a 1 ton. If pulling with a 1 ton, they need to trade it in for a 1 ton dually. You guys write this stuff all the time. It's all over the place here.

To the true newbies on this forum, watch where you step while you are mingling amongst the herd.  8) ;D :D ;) :)

To go with Fords,only because I know the numbers...

IF someone is pulling an F-350 Custom load with an F-150  the warnings may well save LIVES (Theirs and others)

Beyond that...I do see a lot of folks who say "Is this too big" and people answer them..My answer is usually NO. however some campgrounds and some campsites are unable to handle a big Class A.. For example  The campground INSIDE the Grand Canyon National park (South Side) I drove through...With Toyota 4D and was very very glad it was a CAR I was driving and not a Motor home.....

But there is a very fine private CG just outsidet the park proprty line that can easily handle my 38' rig and bigger.

Otherwise I find most folks here supportive.  And you will note that those "negative" Comments are usually in reply to a DID I GOOF type question.

I agree that one of the primary concerns of this web site is safety for the RVing community.  And if someone just getting started into RVing is making an unsafe choice, we all have the responsibility to point it out.  That being said, I also agree that not everyone that posts on the forum is always diplomatic with their comments.  That is however the nature of social media sites.  We as moderators attempt to mitigate the comments when they are too far out of line. Sometimes we are dealing with folks that just are not great at expressing themselves. 

But members must also realize that in any public forum it requires a certain amount of willingness to deal with all types of personalities. It's just the nature of the beast.  Because the ultimate benefit is the huge depth of knowledge available from many of the members.  It's a give and take situation. 

C'mon Bob, have another coffee and relax. As Sarge points out, not everyone is diplomatic when expressing an opinion (I have been guilty), others have a thin skin when receiving them. If someone proposes risky behavior either out of stubborn pride or ignorance of the laws of physics, imho we have a duty to warn of the pitfalls. We are not going to help him/her rationalize poor judgement. If your BIL is comfortable exceeding the manufacturer's limits for his vehicle that is his business and maybe he is just plain lucky at least up till now.
There is a huge amount of experience here, after five years rv'ing I learn something useful every time I log on. No point reinventing the wheel, I want to learn from others mistakes and try not repeat them. I can find enough on my own. That is not to say I agree with everything said, I try to separate the wheat from the chaff. 

I understand a bit where BobX2 is coming from.  Quite often, someone with a half ton truck and a TT within the truck's rated capability will ask a question and get a number of responses saying he needs a bigger truck.  If we are going to offer suggestions, one should at least look at the specs first. Not everyone needs a 3/4 ton or ton or a diesel for that matter. Let's be constructive, not critical.  And if If they are operating outside the tow vehicle's rated capacity, we should tell them that.

RoyM said:
I try to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Sometimes a new enthusiast is given bad advice at best from self-professed "Registered and Certified RV Technicians" to which these same folks provide disclaimers in their responses... I have seen some seriously flawed information given out by these wannabes without so much as a how-do-you-do from the staff.

When a person advertises themselves as an expert on this or any other site there should be a rule requiring proof of said "Registrations and Certifications". .

Wow, just wow.  This is the nicest and most respectful RV forum I've found.

If you want to see some real nasty stuff go on over to IRV2.

As a member of the "herd" I say troll. 

Don't feed him.

Every one of his posts criticizes the membership as if he is the all knowing wizard.

He's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom