Where to camp at Yellowstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jemz

We have a 36' travel trailer and don't like to rough it too much!  Should we stay outside the park?  Are there no electrical hookups in the park?  Only water and sewer at Fishing Bridge?

I kind of like the idea of staying in Yellowstone, BUT also like my modern conveniences.  Not even sure if our TT has a generator. Do they usually?  We traded in our MH for the TT at the end of last season and not used to it yet.

I appreciate any tips and recommendations, please!

We're staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, MT. It is very easy access to the park and to city amenities, like WIFI, cellular service, and such.

Thanks.  That's one of the places we were looking at.  Was wondering if we should try to stay on the east side of Yellowstone as that's where we're coming from (actually we'll visit Grand Tetons first) and that's where we'll be heading afterward.

When we originally planned to do this trip last year, we had the MH and no toad and were going to stay at two different sites within Yellowstone before heading North out of the park.

I would assume that staying on the East Side (Cody, WY) will increase your driving time to the Park's attractions. It is 118 miles from Cody to Old Faithful, whereas it is approximately 32 miles from West Yellowstone. Just an example.

There are a few RV parks between the east entrance and Cody. But once you get to the east entrance you still have a 25 mile drive to get to the loop road. West Yellowstone is closer to the park's main attractions with Gardiner being second. The closer you are to the park the more difficult it is to get a site, and more costly.

Very good info!  Thanks!  I did not realize this.  Does it make more sense to try to stay in Yellowstone? 

We're looking at traveling in late September/ 1st week of October.  Should we aim for a week or two earlier or will we be fine then?  I see camping sites closing in Yellowstone at various dates in September.  Is that because the weather is cold and maybe snowy?  Or because demand decreases?

Late Sept Fishing Bridge is closed.  They do have electric there. 

Probably best bet would be to go to Grizzly in West Yellowstone, a bit more than other places but very nce, and all of West Yellowstone is walkable from there. 

We stayed at Yellowstone's Edge RV Park,3502 US-89,Livingston, MT 59047
It is north of the park but was a nice place to stay. I found it impossible to get a place in the park. You might do better later in the year. Call now.
Bill

Edge is pretty loosely defined, yes a nice place but good distance from north entrance.  There are other places to stay right in Gardiner.  Not as bucolic as Yellowstone Edge, but walking distance to entrance.  (rest of park better take the car though.

jemz said:
Very good info!  Thanks!  I did not realize this.  Does it make more sense to try to stay in Yellowstone? 

We're looking at traveling in late September/ 1st week of October.  Should we aim for a week or two earlier or will we be fine then?  I see camping sites closing in Yellowstone at various dates in September.  Is that because the weather is cold and maybe snowy?  Or because demand decreases?
In late September the park winds down rapidly, for all of the reasons you have listed. By the dates you listed most of the facilities will be shut down but the visitors numbers will be very low. Take your own food and drinks onto the park and enjoy.

Make sure you check the closing date for any RV park you are looking at. Some close down when the park facilities end their season. Others are open quite a bit longer. That time of year I would definitely be looking at West Yellowstone.

Most are for bear migration.  Different areas are closed in succession.  Madison is open almost till the end, but hookups.

IF Fishing Bridge is available when we go, would you choose to stay there or West Yellowstone?

Going to try to leave mid September if not sooner given the info provided.  Thanks!

I will check closing date for Fishing Bridge.  That is right in middle, for ease of getting to areas, it is a great place.  If you can't get there and need hookups, then West Yellowstone is best choice.  There are less exensive campgrounds in West, if that is an issue, Grizzley is I believe the most expensive.  Really nice, but pricey.

Where you are coming from and going to the Grand Tetons you may want to look into The Flagg Ranch RV Resort. It is about half way between Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons. We traveled from here to see a lot of Yellowstone and we stayed in West Yellowstone for the rest. Not a bad drive at all to Yellowstone from there. No Phone or TV in the park but full service otherwise.We would defiantly stay there again.....Alan

Two summers ago, we spent 2 weeks in Yellowstone, and an additional week in Grand Teton.

We came from Cody, WY. We stayed at Yellowstone Valley Inn & Campground which is about half way between Cody and the East entrance to YNP. We spend a week there, and each day we explored the eastern half of Yellowstone, with one day reserved for taking the Chief Joseph Hwy out of Cody to the Bear Tooth Pass and then back to the far northeast entrance which takes you through the Hardin Meadows along the Hardin River. We were there in early June (its their spring) and the bison were calving.

After week, we stayed for a week at Yellowstone Holiday RV Park on Lake Hebgen, which is north of the town of West Yellowstone. We spent a week exploring the western half of Yellowstone.

Grizzly RV Park is right in town, and very popular. And pricey. But its only a mile to the west entrance.

The KOA just west of Yellowstone is good. Amenities" pool, game room, laundry, snack/burger bar with a variety of game meats to choose from.

Thanks, everyone!  We made reservations for Grizzly in mid September. 

Just did a search for where to stay in Yellowstone, and this was the first thread I found.
We also are planning to be in Yellowstone in September, so this info is helpful!

I will be watching.

Theolympians said:
The KOA just west of Yellowstone is good. Amenities" pool, game room, laundry, snack/burger bar with a variety of game meats to choose from.

looks like there are two KOA in West Yellowstone,close to each other,and it appears the rates are the same.Would one be better than the other?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom