Why doesn't Winnebago make a Super C on a Freightliner Chassis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

I've been pining for a 35- or 36-foot Winnebago on a Freightliner Chassis.

Why? Ford are noisy and mostly gas.

A Super C would be less costly to maintain than a coach because the engine would be more easily accessible by mechanics. Also, I've read that Cs are more flexible and easier to drive, but I can't imagine anything easier to drive than our Mercedes-Sprinter Reyo.

The reason I"m thinking bigger is that we're considering spending winters in Arizona RV resorts. For that to happen, we'd need more space.

However, we're thinking we'll stick with the Reyo and keep on driving instead of parking. That way we'll have more flexibility and spend more time in our nice stick home.

Market demand is likely not strong enough to interest them. I have seen a couple that looked really nice but the occupants need to be reasonably agile to enter and exit the cab. My wife would never be able.

RoyM said:
Market demand is likely not strong enough to interest them. I have seen a couple that looked really nice but the occupants need to be reasonably agile to enter and exit the cab. My wife would never be able.

Yes, the market for Freightliner Super Cs must be small or the big companies would be in the business.

My DW also wouldn't be able to get into the cap through the cab doors.

Could she climb into the coach easily because the coach doors probably are built to the same specs as those for coaches?

I'm a class C fan, and I think it's an attractive niche market.
I too don't like the ford.... especially the E series....

I'll bet there is more of a demand than they know, but I can believe it's still a rather small market segment

I do see several advertised like that
nexus
dynamax
and the jayco Seneca
are the ones that come to mind

great for some, like me with a family.... and others too
Folks with enough money are usually going to be retired so the coach is only for 1 or 2 people and they don't need the overhead bunk

I suspect that the majority of larger high end coach owners prefer the class A which appear at least to be more livable in terms of the cab area and it's seamless connection to the house.  Also the "picture window" is visible from the living room
Personally, i like the factory cab you get with a class C
and I need the overhead bunk for the kids.

I would have liked to look closer at the thor super c's on the F-550 chassis if money had been less of an obstacle for me..... but I have often been attracted to these super C's built on real truck chassis (freightliner and others) and wondered why there aren't more

Jayco has been making Super C's for years. So has Thor with their Citation line (it's a F550 diesel chassis) and Dynamax with their Force series. And you still don't see many around in campgrounds or on the highway.  Definitely a niche.

Also, I've read that Cs are more flexible and easier to drive,

I think only a few people would claim that, but blw2 probably agrees.  ;) Seriously, I can't think of anything that a Super-C can do better than an A of similar size and amenities. At the bottom line, front engine vs rear engine and cab layout is probably the only difference. The rest is how the coach builder chooses to design the body.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I think only a few people would claim that, but blw2 probably agrees.  ;) Seriously, I can't think of anything that a Super-C can do better than an A of similar size and amenities. At the bottom line, front engine vs rear engine and cab layout is probably the only difference. The rest is how the coach builder chooses to design the body.

8)
Seriously no, I wouldn't agree with that.  I think that the chassis under my coach is marginal.  It could really do with more.... it may be comparable to small low-end class A, but no doubt the larger chassis under the bigger ones would be better over the road....

I can think of two.
1) built in over cab bunk
2) and a factory cab with it's dashboard, perhaps more automotive style interior, and theoretically at least better designed structure and crash protection....

I do prefer the C layout with the overcab bunk though, but that's just me in my current situation with children.
To add to that, my particular floor plan just works well for us... but again that's my personal situation and likes.

I do like the cab feel better..... feels more like driving my pickup or a van down the road, as opposed to driving a living room.... but that has nothing to do with how it handles.

and I like that my c is a bit shorter than class A's.  Better clearance under overhangs but more importantly fewer steps to climb to get in... but I know the flip side of that is loss of basement storage....

I would say that the class A has an advantage in that you see out to the edges and above to the roof line so it's a bit easier perhaps to judge clearances..... in the C, my sight line is up to the 'bottom' of the bunk and to the sides of the fenders, so i don't get a feel of the overall size

To the OP's statement of greater flexibility with the C.... that may be because the frames are so close to their design load limits  ;)
Seriously.... I think that general statement is more driven to the small class c's.  I have often observed them backed into a normal single parking space with the rear hanging over the grass, and thought how nice that must be....  Mine is a longer wheelbase so that "flexibility" isn't there for me.

Does it cost less to have a Super C diesel serviced because it is more than a comparable coach? I've been told that the labor rate on coaches is 1.5 times that on trucks.

My take from the comments:

1. Super Cs cost you the feel for where you are, compared with a coach.
2. Super Cs don't have the basement storage that you get in coaches.
3. Super Cs may cost a bit less for the comparable living space?
4. Super Cs are better for families than coaches because of the over the cab lofts, which I don't want.
5. Cs don't give you the picture window that you get in coaches. That is an important minus for us.

Bottomline: My interest in a Super C has been reduced in light of the comments and my observations of the units on the market. Most are too big for us and would be harder for DW to drive.

So I'm thinking we'll stick with the Itasca Reyo unless we get into long stays in Arizona or elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom