Insurance for old 5th wheel and a old F350

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayakfl1982

Hello everyone:
My partner and I just brought a 2003 Arctic Fox 29 -5T. Hopefully tomorrow will be picking up a 2002 F350 6.7 V8. We are full time adventure guides, so our companies are in asheville, nc for 5 months in the summer, 3 months outside of big bend national park, TX and we have not decided  what our plans are for the winter. All in all we are living in it full time! So super excited!
I want to say thank you for all the people on this forums and others for the motivation.

My question is insurance? I will be calling Progressive, Blue Sky, Explorer Rv and Sam Good.
1. Which company to use?
2. Because the 5th wheel will only move a most 6 time a year, how much coverage?
3. Should I pick actual price?
4. Should I use the same company for the truck and 5th wheel?
5. Should I tell them that we are full time?

Sorry for the long post... but thank you for your feed back.
You guys rock!!!

I would add State Farm to your list, and I would definitely go with full price. pluss the price oa personal property. If they don't ask about full time, don't mention it. You may get a discount for insuring both with the same company,

Do not forget that even stationary 5ers are subject to possible damage. They can be vandalized, burglarized, or stolen. They can catch fire. They can have a tree fall on them.

Joel

If you don't get full time insurance, you will likely find a clause in the policy limiting the use of the RV to less than some number of days, like 180, per year.  Don't ever lie on an insurance application, it's grounds for disallowing any future claims.

I suspect that ACV (Actual Cash Value) is the only collision & comp insurance you will be able to get on a 12 year old trailer & 13 year old truck. You can inquire about an "agreed value" or "purchase price" upgrade to the policy, but most companies won't issue them after x number of years. And the value of having it is debatable on an older rig as well, since you can probably replace it for the ACV anyway. Replacement value insurance makes the most sense for a new or near new rig, where the replacement cost will likely exceed the ACV.

Usually you get a better price on a package deal from one insurer, but it doesn't hurt to shop both ways. For a truck and trailer, adding a rider to the truck policy to cover the trailer is often the simplest and most cost-effective. And most insurers offer that option.

For a fulltimer, you need to consider your personal liability needs in addition to vehicle-use accidents. Somebody gets injured on your campsite, or you accidentally damage or injury to someone. Homeowners have personal liability included in their house policy, but people living fulltime in RVs need to obtain it through some other means. Or take the risk...

As Ned says, never lie on an insurance application - it is a clear case of fraud and insurers are sticky about it.

Are you self-employed or do you work for someone.  If you work for someone, their business insurance may extend to you.  If self-employed, you should discuss your business operations with an insurance agent.  My guess is agents specializing in RV insurance will not be versed in business risks.  You will need to find an agent that can address that additional exposure.   

Thanks everyone for all your help. As of right now, we went with State Farm, they are covering our truck, full time 5th wheel, and renter insurance. I know that I still need to do more research, but for $1000 a year is not that bad in my eyes. I have only been with SF my entire life. So for right now it's working for us.

Back
Top Bottom