Would you ever???...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rentyotboy1

Would you ever ? Buy an RV on the other side of the country, put your family on a plane go get it, it and drive it home??
I'm asking for a friend  :)

Yes.  With the sort of careful investigation and confirmation that they have no doubt done.

What kind of RV? Brand new or used?

If new, I don't think I would want to get too far from the dealer for the first few hundred miles. If used or new I'd want it thoroughly checked out.

Mike

I did it... maybe only halfway across the country though, and my wife and I left the kids at home.  ;)  Illinois to upstate New York and back again.  The "careful investigation and confirmation" are absolutely crucial though!!  My experience was not without a few hitches, but it was an experience that we smile about now.

See this thread (or have your "friend" read it) for my RV-distance-buying tale: From IL to NY and back again

I just did it.  Bought an almost new, but slightly used, class A diesel pusher from a multi-location dealer in Arizona.  Flew out there to pick it up, and drove it back home, which is near Atlanta.  The dealer does have locations in Florida, so if I need to take it in, it's only a few hours drive.  So far, everything is great, and we have no regrets.

yep, I bought mine only about 3 hours away.... but if I had the vacation time i would do it.

BUT
as Tinmania suggested, I would plan the first little bit to be in the area near the dealership
In fact i suggest that anyone stay the night in the RV either nearby or even better in the dealer's lot if they'll let you.... with a standing appointment the next morning in the service bay.  No matter how thorough you think you are in walkthrough... there will almost certainly be things you'll find in that first night or two as you live in the RV, and start putting your stuff away and using the systems... either little repairs, missing screws, or just questions about how things work.....

I didn't do it for that reason, but I did stay in a nearby state park that first night after picking it up.  Didn't do me much good though....as  I wished that I had not done my pickup on a saturday and that I had made such a service appointment the following day....

Personally me... No. I don't like to put faith in a vehicle sight unseen and trust it to travel cross country. I would have to do a full inspection my way before I would even consider do a trip that far. I'm pretty sure without tools and the shop to go over the vehicle before leaving is just a bad idea.... Any that's me.

I'm use to traveling in Idaho where there is no cell service and you on your own with no support. So vehicles have to pass my inspection before I trust them...  ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom