Modifications required to US RV for import to UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dadredge

Along with others, I want to bring my RV back to England next year.

There has been a lot of discussion on shipping, tax, duty etc in this forum (all excellent stuff!) but can anyone supply information on best (most economic!) methods/equipment to do the following:-

a) Convert 110V to run off 240V (transformer?)
b) Convert headlamps to right-hand drive dipping (will the standard ones adjust enough?)
c) Convert propane tank connector to UK/ Europe specifications
d) Fitting a rear foglamp

Anything else to consider (luckily my RV has the right colour indicator lamps!)

David Dredge

Hi David,

Several of those questions have been discussed here. Try using the Search feature above. One example of prior related discussions is: Running 110V appliances.

Your message reminds me I should compile all the conversion stuff into a file for our library. One of these days.

Hi David

We are in the US now and will be shipping ours in April.

In answer (roughly) to some of your points :-

a) Convert 110V to run off 240V (transformer?)

The cost to do a full UK conversion will cost anything from ?1000 to ?5000 depending on who you choose and what mood they are in at the time.

You could get a step up/down converter, but when coming to sell in the UK Ive been told by dealers that they will insist the RV is UK spec as people feel more at ease with it and are unlikely to buy with US electrics/appliances.

b) Convert headlamps to right-hand drive dipping (will the standard ones adjust enough?)

I believe that recent model RVs will have enough adjustment to simply unscrew a bolt, realign and tighten again.

c) Convert propane tank connector to UK/ Europe specifications

Apparently, there are different connectors depending on your RV and also between UK and Europe - try ABP Accessories - of course, if you identify what you want you could probably get most of their stuff in the US much cheaper.

d) Fitting a rear foglamp

We had an illuminated dash switch and a cable installed when we purchased the RV - we will source a lamp and wire when we get back. All US fog lamps Ive seen are white, not the required red.

Anything else to consider (luckily my RV has the right colour indicator lamps!)

Lights :- Ensure all your brake and indicator lights operate as they should in the UK - US indicators often come on when brake pressed - also check same with lights down side of RV as ours do this also.

TVs :- You can get a converter for the US TVs to work with PAL, but again, the dealers will want to install UK TVs so you may be better to sell US TVs and buy cheap LCDs in the UK rather than pay for the converters.

Sewage : You will want a Macerator for emptying black tank over long distances, rather than the 3inch sewer hose which will only run a limited (compared to Macerator) distance. 3 inch is gravity fed so will only go downward where Macerator is pumped and can go uphill and over window ledges to toilet bowl etc.

Paul

PS what UK forums are you on ?

Interesting link to ABP Paul. As you say, their prices are a little steep.

Thanks Paul - I can't believe its you! (remember David & Tracey at Pio Pico?)

I did try a search of the forums but didn't find anything that answered my specific questions.

I'm not aiming to sell to a dealer. We will use the RV for at least a year in UK/Europe (in any case required by Customs) and then probably sell privately.

Any other advice from readers invited! (we see so many on the roads over here that many people must have trod the path we wish to follow)

David

David

Hi David

I sent you an email a few weeks ago asking how everything was - I sent to Daisy & Ken too.

I must admit that when I saw your name it rang a bell somewhere - thats why I asked about uk forums.

I will email you off forum

Paul

;D Hi all. A  quick Happy New Year from us in Spain/UK. Just flown back to buy a small camper for travel backwards and forwards form Spain to the UK. The Newmar is parked in Spain (permanently?????).

With regards the RV lights to UK specifications. The MAJOR diference is that the front and rear indicators plus brake lights MUST work independently to the other lights. ie. Running lights, brake lights, rear lights must not operate together when either the indicators or the brakes are applied.  Hope that explains it? :D

Hi. I did the light conversion on my Chateau last week. The requirements are as follows

Rear

Brake light to be independent of the indicators.
Indicators to flash yellow and be independent of the brake lights
Fog light with illuminated switch on offside of vehicle and must switch off with the lights.

Side

Side repeating indicators to be fitted to the front wings near the doors unless your front indicators are the wrap round type that are visible from the sides.

Front

Headlights to point to correct side of road (can be altered with a beam deflector available for car accessory shops).
Indicators must not light up with running lights.
Must have separate side lights and must be white.

Mine took a day and a roll of car wire to do with a load of connectors. Its not difficult but must have a sound understanding of how and why electrics work. The only bit that gets you thinking is the rear brake lights/indicators. We changed the white bulbs in our Chateau for yellow indicator bulbs and converted them to indicators, then bought an after market reversing light.

As far as the electric conversion goes a custom built transformer cost ?300 with a 5000 watt inverter costing another ?300 the rest of the electrical items cost another ? 200 plus ?250 to the electrician to do the work and give a certificate.

The convertor for the gas was ? 35.00

Shipping was about $6000

Good Luck

Dazzer

Hi

Is the bit about the side lights correct? - I thought they should be amber not white ?

Can you PM me the details of who did your electric work please Dazzer

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul

PMed you the electrician stuff.  As far as the front lights go, when i said side lights i meant small dim lights in or under the main headlights.  RVs have small dim lights which permanently light the indicators on the front.  These lights must be disconnected so the indicators only light up when turning and new small lights fitted into the headlights or additional small white lights fitted below the headlight area.

Hope that clarified it for you.

Dazzer

Thanks for the clarification.

Could you please resend the PM as nothing has arrived.

Thanks
Paul

Back
Top Bottom