Boy, did the mice kick my butt over the winter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denmarc

When I winterized and shut down the TT last November, no problem. Everything went well. Mothballs set out on plastic plates in 3 different locations. Removed anything edible or usable in any way by those little furry rodents. Even toilet paper and paper towel (nesting material). Just as in previous years. Except for one year in the past (had a couple get in but no damage), never had any issue with this method. Took a trip up in December and found 3 bodies in the toilet.  :p
Cleaned up everything and ran to the local store. As time was limited, I put 3 boxes of D-Con in the TT, as well as freshened up the plastic plates with moth balls. All I could do at the time.

Went back for a visit in February. Everything looked good. No activity.

Went back for a visit again yesterday. Wanted to bring some stuff up to get the camping season started.
Opened the door, walked in, and noticed the telltale sign of rodents all over the kitchen and bath! DAMN!
Couple of bodies in the toilet again, and one behind the toilet on the floor! All 3 boxes of D-Con empty. Acorn shells all over the place. I proceeded to spew a stream of phrases I can't mention here.  :mad:
No time to clean up but to remove the bodies and put out some more D-Con until I can get there again in a couple of weeks.

And, not only do the DW and I have a mess to clean up, the frickin linoleum in the kitchen has cracked and spit wide open from one side of the TT to the other!  :'( :'( :'(

What did I do to deserve this?!

There was a post here a while ago about a mouse trap made with a 5 gallon bucket, some antifreeze, a plastic tube with peanut butter on it, a wooden dowel and a small piece of wood used as a ramp. Maybe someone can post a picture of one.

Update:  here's are some pictures and instructions on how to make one.  http://gentlemanhomestead.com/diy-five-gallon-bucket-mouse-trap/

Thanks, Rene. Got that one on file.

I can clean up after the mice. The flooring in the TT is going to take some time. I'm hoping for the "Floor Fairy" to show up before I get there in a couple of weeks.  ;)

When the in-laws were alive they RVed for 40 years
and were snowbirds for their last 15.

They swore by Irish Spring soap bars in the bottom cabinets.
They summered at their home on a lake in the woods and never
had mice problems.

I just throw mothballs under ours. So far so good.

Greetings,

Here is another discussion on the ultimate mouse trap from the RV Forum. Be aware of using regular anti freeze as that can poison pets and children!

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,24083.msg232705.html#msg232705

camperAL said:
Greetings,

Here is another discussion on the ultimate mouse trap from the RV Forum. Be aware of using regular anti freeze as that can poison pets and children!

Why not use pink antifreeze? Not as hazardous.

Was working on fixing the AC in the cab, pulled the in-cab cover, and found a huge mouse nest on top of the block, between the intake manifold and the block.  Could have caused a fire. 

Dang critters just don't know when they are not wanted.

camperAL said:
Greetings,

I love that "Ultimate Mouse Trap" and had wonderful results from it... well wonderful for me, not so much for the mice.  ;)  The antifreeze issue is discussed in the thread, and using the pink RV stuff is a good compromise.

The bucket and the antifreeze does work well. Seen it first hand with a buddy of mine who caught about 8 of the little buggers in his cabin last Fall. Hasn't checked it yet this Spring. He says he's almost scared to.  :p
Like me, he has scoured over his place looking for how the rodents are getting inside. Can't find the entry.

A side note...
The DW was talking to the pest control guy at her employer the other day. She told him what we were dealing with concerning mice. He said the best way is to find that entry point and seal it off. He mentioned using copper "Brillo pads" for areas where pipes and wires pass though floors and walls. Don't use steel wool. And don't use spray foam. Mice just chew through it. The copper pads don't rust and they can't chew through it.
I also learned that the D-Con I put out may have helped, but it all depends if they actually eat it or not. Most often they just carry it to the nest and pile it up there. Especially if they also have another food source. In my case, apparently it was bringing in the acorns from outside. Which surprised me. I didn't know they ate acorns. The bug guy just smiled when the DW asked that question. Said they will eat almost anything. But it seems they usually only eat the bait if it's a last resort.

He also mentioned that it is illegal for pest control companies to bait for mice on the interior of buildings. And that he predicts that it's only a small number of years before products such as D-Con bait for mice to be phased out to keep owners from baiting the interiors on their own. This includes garages, sheds, out buildings of any kind.
I thought that interesting.

We used D-con to combat mice when camp hosting on a river on the Oregon coast.  Six months later I opened a bottom drawer I rarely opened and there was a huge pile of D-con the mice had "stored".

Just an update...
Thought that the damage was done and all that was left to do was clean up the mess. So the DW and I spent the past weekend with our latex gloves on cleaning and scrubbing. Had things looking pretty good by the end of the day Sunday.

This morning I opened a little used drawer and HELLO! I uttered an adult word. The wife walked over to see what I discovered. Another half petrified rodent and a nest. She uttered an adult word (worse than mine).
All the drawers in the place are now in my garage at home for cleaning. Many items such as dish cloths, hot pads, etc., are now in the trash. Easier to replace than to clean. Utensils already through the dishwasher.

Question is what to do about the drawers? The drawer faces are solid oak. But the rest of the drawer is what needs cleaning the most but don't want to ruin anything by over saturating with a cleaner or water. The bottoms of the drawer interiors appear to be an oak laminate of some sort. Some spots look as if becoming delaminated due to mouse urine. I'm also worried about any urine that soaked into the wood. I would love to neutralize it somehow without hurting the integrity of the wood.
Any ideas and/or tips before I get started?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom