Don't want to kill my 2015 F150 5.0! 8000 lbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Full disclosure, I would get 18 only with my commute to and from work. If I did much driving close to home, it would drip me into the 17's.  If I did long distance I could touch 20 if everything was perfect.

jnbettes said:
With my 5.0 I would get 18.  I don't know what I'll get with the ecoboost. I'm hoping for 20 but maybe it will be similar. If it's 20 and the diesel is stock, I'm not sure how I would be able to save anything. I'm going off of fuelly.com.  no personal experience with diesels. And very few with the ram show anything above 18.  Most show 16 - 18.  Not my research so can't claim this as fact. Just something on the world wide web. 

My 2014 Cummins gets just a tick under 20 (19.8) on the road unloaded according to the pathological liar known as the trip computer in the cluster.  My own calculations put it at 19.2 unloaded. 

My own personal reason for buying a diesel is that I tow almost exclusively in the mountains and long steep grades are the norm.....8-10% grades at 9600' elevation made the gasser wheeze quite a bit.  The Ecoboost is blown, so it won't suffer the same losses due to elevation as a NA gasser, but the oil burner barely knows the trailer is back there when pulling steep grades.  If a person tows more on flat lands than mountains, a gas truck usually makes more sense.

Like if I stay strictly empty truck and daily drive my diesel I get closer to 20-23 MPG. The catch is my truck is much older, less emissions devices, tuned and tweaked for performance. The problem with average diesel drivers they attempt to drive a diesel just like a gasser and it shouldn't be done from efficiency stand point. Diesels love the low RPM's and lower speeds. But I find all too many times people racing there diesel just like a gasser even towing. Hitched up and how fast can I make it to the top of the grade?  ::) This is wrong... You should base you speed from boost pressure and EGT's for optimal efficiency. If your traveling too fast your Boost and EGT's will be high and MPG will be low.

(As my truck sits right now in the shop - Attachment below)

Tmg = Total MPG for the tank
Dte = Distance to empty (Miles)
CPM = Cost per Mile (cents)
IA = Intake Air Temp (*F)

But the next thing I will be doing is hitching up and hauling the RV to a tire shop for fresh rubber so that number will be pulled down buy the time I get 180 miles to Ontario, OR.

Attachments

• mpg-scangauge.JPG
    mpg-scangauge.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 11
glen54737 said:
Do you have a 2014 or 2015?
it lost about 800lbs of it's own weight, this would let you tow more.

2014.  Had to get those rebates as I was trading in a 2014.

What trailer did he get?
Also, on my 2015 F150, if I change from a 3.31 gear tO A 3.73, could I tow 10,300? Now I can tow 9000 with the 3.31

tisdale36
Please realize that this is a 4 year old thread so that an answer is very unlikely. Start your own new  thread with a specific question and you will more than likely get an answer.

FWIW, changing the gear ratio does not change the load carrying capacity of any given truck. Check the sticker on the truck for the CCC or Payload and do the math for YOUR specific vehicle.

tisdale36 said:
What trailer did he get?
Also, on my 2015 F150, if I change from a 3.31 gear tO A 3.73, could I tow 10,300? Now I can tow 9000 with the 3.31

1st, welcome to the forum.
I agree with Stu. Ask your question by starting another post. This will save everyone from reading 64 replies in the post only to end up with your question. You'll get a faster response I think.
And besides, the original poster hasn't been active since October of 2016 so you're unlikely to get a answer to your question about what trailer did they get.

on my 2015 F150, if I change from a 3.31 gear tO A 3.73, could I tow 10,300? Now I can tow 9000 with the 3.31

Changing the gearing doesn't alter Payload (CCC) nor the GVWR. It probably increases the GCWR, helping the tow capacity somewhat, but that depends on the capability limits of the rest of the drive train. About the only thing that can be said for sure is that acceleration would be better, both from a standing stop and during hill-climbing.

Ford shows the GCWR increasing from 13,000 to 14,600 on a regular cab F150 and from around 14,000 up to about 16,000 on the other F150 body configurations.    Assuming that Ford doesn't alter anything else on the truck when changing the gearing (and you know what they say about ASSuming!), then yes the tow capacity goes up by around 1500-2000 lbs, depending on which F150 you have.

If your trailer is a 5W rather than a TT, the increased tow capability doesn't help because Payload is your limiting factor.

I recently bought a 2017 24 ft Keystone Bullet 220RBI trailer...........a great unit for just the two of us. Trailer shipping weight 4664 lbs, load capacity 1736 lbs.

I towed with my 1999 Ford F150, 4.6L ........truck had about 48000 miles, gorgeous condition.  It towed ok on the flat, although sometimes in 3rd gear, sometimes in overdrive....on the flat.  A trip into North Carolina,  however, going up 7,8,9% grades was a brutal challenge ....... requiring on one very long (one mile) up grade, shifting down to first gear, creeping at 15mph, engine rpm at 4200.  All the research I had previously done (I did much) did not and could not describe in practical/usable terms the limitations of an F150 in the mountains.  I believe even the 5.4L would have been severely mountain challenged.

Our option was to trade the truck to one of higher capability and keep the trailer.........or, because of our age, go to a motorhome which we happily did.  Lessons learned:  1) Hitch up your tow vehicle and do a test drive under varied road conditions before you commit.  2) Do not rely on other peoples suggestions....do the road test.

If you need further info: Al Rice at email: [email protected]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom