rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Firearms and Full timing  (Read 6948 times)

OutdoorFT

• ---
Firearms and Full timing
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
This is not about what ones to own or anything, since I've got a collection (which I will have to downsize, unfortunately). I'm more interested in how to go about purchasing another (if I chose to) while full timing. Because I live in a restricted state (NY), I don't want to have to do anything with them. I also know you can only purchase (or at least transfer to you) a handgun in your state of residence.

What is the best way to go to make this process as easy as possible?
Future Fulltimer

2011 F350 Lariat CCLB SRW
No RV yet!!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Firearms and Full timing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »
A fulltimer still has to be a resident somewhere, so you need to establish residence in a state that is suitable to your needs. Most choose for low taxes and RV-friendly vehicle rules, but maybe you would prioritize gun-friendly first. Texas, maybe?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

jdq1986

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
I would set up your residence in a state with good gun laws, like Texas as someone else suggested. Texas also has no state income tax, and lots of RVers already use Texas as their domicile. You can renew your drivers license and vehicle registrations online too.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
If you use the Search button above and search on the word Domicile you'll find some previous discussions related to fulltimers choosing a new domicile state.  It's not an easy choice because the states each have pros and cons, most are related to financial concerns while others are more unusual such as your situation.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Theboomanchu

• ---
  • "We've got to keep the loonies on the path"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 01:01:32 AM »
South Dakota would also be a state to consider setting up domicile in.  We have no income tax, vehicle registration fees are low and it is gun friendly with "shall issue" CCW laws. 
2010 Keystone Cougar 326MKS 5th wheel
2006 Ford F350 DRW w/ a (omg tell me it isn't so!) 6.0 Power Stroke.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »
Two things:

If you pick Texas, check out the Escapees club. They can provide a domicile in Livingston with mail forwarding, etc., and Livingston is very undrrstanding about things like jury duty.

Texas now requires that your vehicle be inspected to renew the registration. They will make an exception if you promise to get it done when you return, but I'm not sure how long you can stretch that out.

Good luck,

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Pun'kin
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)- Sold
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Trailer traveler

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:54 AM »
South Dakota would also be a state to consider setting up domicile in.  We have no income tax, vehicle registration fees are low and it is gun friendly with "shall issue" CCW laws.
May or may not be an issue depending on individual circumstances, but don't you have to show proof (like a campground receipt) that you have actually been in South Dakota for 30 days to obtain or renew a South Dakota CCW permit?

Theboomanchu

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:39:20 PM »
What "shall issue" refers to is that if you meet the criteria such as none of the offenses that will disqualify you, having legal residency, etc, the issuing sheriff's department must by law, issue the permit.  "May issue" states (to my understanding)allow the issuing department to make the final decision, meaning if the sheriff doesn't like the t-shirt you're wearing, he can deny you your permit. 

Regarding proof that you have been in the state for 30 days is not something I have ever encountered, although I still reside and work in the state.  However, as far as I know, again, as long as you have legal residency I think you're good to go.  If that is not true, I would sure like to hear about it before we hit the road.

weretherussos

• ---
    • We're the Russos
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 01:41:47 AM »
We're going to become FL residents after we get on the road full time and get out of CA (just as bad as NY). The firearm laws in FL are wonderful and they are very accommodating there.

You can get CCW permits from many different states as a non-resident (even as a NY resident) - AZ is a good example. You can do it via mail and its good in a number of states who have reciprocal permits with AZ.

If you dont have it already, The Travelers Guide to Firearms Laws http://amzn.to/1ATP3pl is a fantastic book and will give you a break down on each state.
Going to start full-timing soon - check out our progress here: http://weretherussos.com/

Trailer traveler

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:18:17 AM »
...Regarding proof that you have been in the state for 30 days is not something I have ever encountered, although I still reside and work in the state.  However, as far as I know, again, as long as you have legal residency I think you're good to go.  If that is not true, I would sure like to hear about it before we hit the road...
Here you go right from the SD law: "(6)      Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;"

Theboomanchu

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 11:07:34 PM »
Here you go right from the SD law: "(6)      Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;"

Thanks!  Now we'll have to make a point to come up and visit the kids and grandkids around the time it expires.

Chris362

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 01:16:13 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but here is some info relative to the subject of full time RVers registering a gun:

My state of residence is SD, through America's Mailbox.
It's on my drivers license. I can vote, register my vehicles and get auto insurance there.
I attempted to buy a gun in SD at Cabela's in Grand Rapids. I was denied because I do not have a physical address.
As soon as I mentioned America's Mailbox in Box Elder, SD, I was told sorry, America's Mailbox is not allowed as a physical address. PO boxes, PMBs and the like are denied. It has to be an actual, physical property to register a gun.

I was advised to write my congressman.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:32:22 PM by Chris362 »

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
I always carry, however I found this as a great option https://byrna.com/
This thing carries a powerful pepper round to allow you time for retreat. Not even a vest will interfere with the results.

I have tried mine out on my fence just for giggles, then walked too close after shooting and some of the cloud managed to blow at me, take my breath away and burn my eyes. The solid rounds shot center mass would take a perp down so I load the clip with one pepper then two solid rounds.  After watching the videos I just had to have one. That hole in the business end looks like a bad a$$ 50 cal pointed at you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4Go4qfN9M

2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Boudreaux the dog-Nibbler the squirrel  & Shadeaux the black cat.

Nealaustin

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
That Byrna looks like a great option . Especially since the gas deploys away from you.

jayc2640

• ---
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
We are South Dakota residents.  It works well for us, but we haven't managed to spend the 30 days there required to get their CCW.  So, we got a Florida non-resident permit.  Easy to get, reciprocity applies in all of the states that you would expect, and not in the states that you wouldn't.  They apparently do a thorough background check.  My wife got hers in short order, but mine was held up for close to 90 days because I had a dui when I was 26.  I'm 60 now, with a clean record since.  Anyway, it finally came through, and is great!  I understand that a Utah CCW is also a good one to get.
- John Coffey
2018 Winnebago Forza 38F
2016 Chevrolet Equinox

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 04:03:14 PM »

This requirement must have changed since 2018 when we became SD residents.  We were only required to show proof of being in the county of choice in a hotel or campground for 24-hours.  We went through Americas Mailbox and stayed in their CG to meet the requirement.

To tag along on this thread, I was under the impression that there is some laws on carrying certain fire arms across state lines, unless one obtains a federal firearms permit which I suspect is difficult.  If this is the case I would suspect this would adversely affect a full-timer.  Please forgive my ignorance as I am not a gun owner, so my understanding of the pertinent laws is limited. 
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 08:13:57 PM »
If you have a legal permit from your place of residence, you can travel to a place where you can legally have the firearm as long as it is not at hand while you are in a state you are not legal to own.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle & Tigger
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14’ V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
A Grand Design 337RLS in the future.
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)
N1SPA (up to my neck in hot water, as always)

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 07:27:36 AM »
It's a little more complicated than that. 

Simply put you need to meet the rules of "transporting" firearms in every state you pass though and meet the carry and usage of firearms rules in the destination.  There are also specific counties that have different rule. There are websites to help you figure this out.

I researched the road trip from Ohio to MS in July - pretty easy states all the way through. Illinois is tough especially Cook County.
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 02:32:08 PM »
I always carry, however I found this as a great option https://byrna.com/
This thing carries a powerful pepper round to allow you time for retreat. Not even a vest will interfere with the results.

I have tried mine out on my fence just for giggles, then walked too close after shooting and some of the cloud managed to blow at me, take my breath away and burn my eyes. The solid rounds shot center mass would take a perp down so I load the clip with one pepper then two solid rounds.  After watching the videos I just had to have one. That hole in the business end looks like a bad a$$ 50 cal pointed at you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4Go4qfN9M
Would be an option for folks like us who can't buy weapons (legally).
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J/ 2013 Jeep
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 05:37:57 AM »
This is not about what ones to own or anything, since I've got a collection (which I will have to downsize, unfortunately). I'm more interested in how to go about purchasing another (if I chose to) while full timing. Because I live in a restricted state (NY), I don't want to have to do anything with them. I also know you can only purchase (or at least transfer to you) a handgun in your state of residence.

What is the best way to go to make this process as easy as possible?

Come on Down.  We Love Guns!

There are no Down Sides to the Lone Star State.

Yee Haw!  ;D

Welcome to Texas!

JD
2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep
M&G Air Over Hydraulic Brake on Jeep
Air Tank Adapter for braking on RV

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 10:17:13 AM »
JD

Hmmm...never mind.  8)
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »
Come on Down.  We Love Guns!

Yee Haw!  ;D

Welcome to Texas!

JD

As part of the state to consider for a domicile in, Texas as I recall fairly recently requires an annual vehicle inspection.  If you plan to stay in or return at least annually then Texas might be a good option considering your interest in owning guns.  Just something to think about and look into to determine if this is correct.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:08:20 PM by Gizmo »
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 99 Country Coach Magna
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
PS...  I looked on the AZ site for CCW and cannot find any reference to getting permit as non-res.  My FL CCW is honored in AZ, so I am fine, and they hold reciprocity with many other states, but so far nothing on Non-res CCW.  Can you provide a link or a source?

In AZ I see a lot of Open Carry.  Seems pretty popular here.
Bill & Jolene & Chancey
(Koda 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
1999 Country Coach Magna 40'
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J/ 2013 Jeep
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 05:47:44 AM »
License to carry Hand Gun in Texas is good for 4 Years (Looks like 5 yr as it renews on my Birthday 2024) and requires Fire Arm Class and a Range qualification.

I am not sure about a "REAL" address though?

I think the whole pistol registration deal set me back around $100-$150 bucks?  Training, plus License cost.

Apparently when you buy a gun in Texas the registration is Lax, but when it comes to obtaining a Carry they do check your back ground. 

I had a security clearance that had just be renewed a few years earlier and I had not had a traffic ticket since 1985 so my check was bam over the counter quick when he logged into the system.  He was like wow! That was quick. 

That instant approval allowed me to walk away that day with the pistol in my possession too.  People wait weeks before they are allowed to walk away with a purchase too.  They tell you that after they ring up the sale, so don't think everybody down here in Texas is crazy.  We do have and Follow Laws down here!  Law abiding folks like myself and pack do anyway.

I bought my only purchase of a Firearm the day I was not allowed to enter Post as a Military Retiree.  I think COVID hysteria was peaking at the time.   :o 

Figured just in case society comes unglued.  You never know. 

I want to have a say in any potential final chapters written to my book.  BTW I will ride into my sunset as the hero, in my authored book of life not the downtrodden unfortunate Sap.

They (State) sent me a plastic card in the mail to carry about 4 weeks after I provided scans when I uploaded Required Docs and paid online.

I only carry when we RV all other times it remains loaded in my night stand.  I don't need to check reciprocity agreements as I have it for a last resort worst case.

Yes, Texas Plated Vehicles to Include RV Require a Annual Safety Inspection, Emerg Brake, Lights Horn, No Smog Check down here in the Desert.  My Jeep I think was $85 to Register back in May and

.. sit down....

My RV with Military Affiliation Plates cost me $7.50 to annually Register (Yep, Texas Loves her Vets!).  Last year before I got the House Military Plates it cost me $135 and that is for a 32'5" Class C. 

I think As in Texas are in the $350 Range Per Year?  I think it is by Weight maybe?  Not 100% what drives the price up...my guess Weight, but As I do think are in that $$$ range. 

I was looking hard at a Tiffin 34PA kicking the tires, before we got the Winnebago Aspect last year.

https://www.texas.gov/

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/ltc/index.htm

Link has the current pricing, requirements for CCL on all the stuff on topic, scroll down for direct links off their home page.

Usually the gun stores have flyers on the front door about CCL training Points of Contact.

JD
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 07:06:30 AM by X-Roughneck »
2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep
M&G Air Over Hydraulic Brake on Jeep
Air Tank Adapter for braking on RV

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »
I just renewed my LTC this summer. I think it is 5 or 6 years. I was pleasantly surprised when the police sergeant that administers the licenses told me that there was no renewal fee as I was over 70. He even offered edits to the form to make more easily approved. We have a gun friendly police department in my MA town. I think they figure if everyone is armed, they will have little crime to chase 😊
MA doesn’t have reciprocal agreements with anyone. I also have a nonresident Utah LTC which works in many states. My biggest issue is I have to drive through NY to get out of the northeast. If I stay on the interstates, all I need do is unload the gun and store it and the ammo, separately in compartments not easy to hand till I get through the state.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle & Tigger
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14’ V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
A Grand Design 337RLS in the future.
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)
N1SPA (up to my neck in hot water, as always)

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2020, 09:52:17 PM »
My Moosberg 500 has a legal 18.5” barrel, legal adjustable stock, total legal length, limb saver, pistol grip, laser & light.

I had a Ranger stop by once and asked me why I had my rifle out and I told him bear defense. He took my rifle and asked me for my drivers license. Yes Sir, No Sir stuff. He came back a few minutes later and gave me my rifle back. He liked my shotgun and asked where I bought it. We had a great conversation. Nice guy and excellent officer just doing his job. I wish everyone would respect and appreciate the job they do. They put their life on the line every day and we need them.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »
My Moosberg 500 has a legal 18.5” barrel, legal adjustable stock, total legal length, limb saver, pistol grip, laser & light.

I had a Ranger stop by once and asked me why I had my rifle out and I told him bear defense. He took my rifle and asked me for my drivers license. Yes Sir, No Sir stuff. He came back a few minutes later and gave me my rifle back. He liked my shotgun and asked where I bought it. We had a great conversation. Nice guy and excellent officer just doing his job. I wish everyone would respect and appreciate the job they do. They put their life on the line every day and we need them.

The 500 Shockwave certainly has some controversy around it (I know cuz I have one) and there are differences state by state. Not saying you have anything non compliant with an 18.5" barrel but the devil is in the details...
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 03:38:08 PM »
I agree, you need to know the rules. Shotguns are often perceived as a tool where pistols and rifles that carry more rounds are considered weapons. What's funny is Alaskan guides often carry a shotgun with 3" magnum bear slugs to protect their customers in the unlikely event a grizzly bear would attack.

I looked up the Shockwave. Probably illegal in many states. I need a stock that pulls out to hit a target at 100 yards.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:20:12 PM by Tom55555 »
2015 Winnebago 22R

cerd

• ---
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 02:45:32 AM »
If you guys like the 500. you should check out the Rock Island VR60. Gas charged semi (based on the AR platform) with 2x 5rd mags and 4 rails around the barrel. I have heard that you can get 20rd drums and 19rd bananas for them, but I use mine for hunting and obviously that many rounds is not practical. In MN, you need a pistol permit to purchase it; but those are free from the local PD.
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 99 Country Coach Magna
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
If a pistol permit, then likely follows fed handgun rules.
Bill & Jolene & Chancey
(Koda 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
1999 Country Coach Magna 40'
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI