EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Firearms and Full timing  (Read 3414 times)

OutdoorFT

• ---
Firearms and Full timing
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
This is not about what ones to own or anything, since I've got a collection (which I will have to downsize, unfortunately). I'm more interested in how to go about purchasing another (if I chose to) while full timing. Because I live in a restricted state (NY), I don't want to have to do anything with them. I also know you can only purchase (or at least transfer to you) a handgun in your state of residence.

What is the best way to go to make this process as easy as possible?
Future Fulltimer

2011 F350 Lariat CCLB SRW
No RV yet!!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Firearms and Full timing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »
A fulltimer still has to be a resident somewhere, so you need to establish residence in a state that is suitable to your needs. Most choose for low taxes and RV-friendly vehicle rules, but maybe you would prioritize gun-friendly first. Texas, maybe?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

jdq1986

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
I would set up your residence in a state with good gun laws, like Texas as someone else suggested. Texas also has no state income tax, and lots of RVers already use Texas as their domicile. You can renew your drivers license and vehicle registrations online too.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
If you use the Search button above and search on the word Domicile you'll find some previous discussions related to fulltimers choosing a new domicile state.  It's not an easy choice because the states each have pros and cons, most are related to financial concerns while others are more unusual such as your situation.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Theboomanchu

• ---
  • "We've got to keep the loonies on the path"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 01:01:32 AM »
South Dakota would also be a state to consider setting up domicile in.  We have no income tax, vehicle registration fees are low and it is gun friendly with "shall issue" CCW laws. 
2010 Keystone Cougar 326MKS 5th wheel
2006 Ford F350 DRW w/ a (omg tell me it isn't so!) 6.0 Power Stroke.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »
Two things:

If you pick Texas, check out the Escapees club. They can provide a domicile in Livingston with mail forwarding, etc., and Livingston is very undrrstanding about things like jury duty.

Texas now requires that your vehicle be inspected to renew the registration. They will make an exception if you promise to get it done when you return, but I'm not sure how long you can stretch that out.

Good luck,

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Trailer traveler

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:54 AM »
South Dakota would also be a state to consider setting up domicile in.  We have no income tax, vehicle registration fees are low and it is gun friendly with "shall issue" CCW laws.
May or may not be an issue depending on individual circumstances, but don't you have to show proof (like a campground receipt) that you have actually been in South Dakota for 30 days to obtain or renew a South Dakota CCW permit?

Theboomanchu

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:39:20 PM »
What "shall issue" refers to is that if you meet the criteria such as none of the offenses that will disqualify you, having legal residency, etc, the issuing sheriff's department must by law, issue the permit.  "May issue" states (to my understanding)allow the issuing department to make the final decision, meaning if the sheriff doesn't like the t-shirt you're wearing, he can deny you your permit. 

Regarding proof that you have been in the state for 30 days is not something I have ever encountered, although I still reside and work in the state.  However, as far as I know, again, as long as you have legal residency I think you're good to go.  If that is not true, I would sure like to hear about it before we hit the road.

weretherussos

• ---
    • We're the Russos
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 01:41:47 AM »
We're going to become FL residents after we get on the road full time and get out of CA (just as bad as NY). The firearm laws in FL are wonderful and they are very accommodating there.

You can get CCW permits from many different states as a non-resident (even as a NY resident) - AZ is a good example. You can do it via mail and its good in a number of states who have reciprocal permits with AZ.

If you dont have it already, The Travelers Guide to Firearms Laws http://amzn.to/1ATP3pl is a fantastic book and will give you a break down on each state.
Going to start full-timing soon - check out our progress here: http://weretherussos.com/

Trailer traveler

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:18:17 AM »
...Regarding proof that you have been in the state for 30 days is not something I have ever encountered, although I still reside and work in the state.  However, as far as I know, again, as long as you have legal residency I think you're good to go.  If that is not true, I would sure like to hear about it before we hit the road...
Here you go right from the SD law: "(6)      Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;"

Theboomanchu

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 11:07:34 PM »
Here you go right from the SD law: "(6)      Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;"

Thanks!  Now we'll have to make a point to come up and visit the kids and grandkids around the time it expires.

Hosted by Over The Network