Firearms and Full timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OutdoorFT

This is not about what ones to own or anything, since I've got a collection (which I will have to downsize, unfortunately). I'm more interested in how to go about purchasing another (if I chose to) while full timing. Because I live in a restricted state (NY), I don't want to have to do anything with them. I also know you can only purchase (or at least transfer to you) a handgun in your state of residence.

What is the best way to go to make this process as easy as possible?

A fulltimer still has to be a resident somewhere, so you need to establish residence in a state that is suitable to your needs. Most choose for low taxes and RV-friendly vehicle rules, but maybe you would prioritize gun-friendly first. Texas, maybe?

I would set up your residence in a state with good gun laws, like Texas as someone else suggested. Texas also has no state income tax, and lots of RVers already use Texas as their domicile. You can renew your drivers license and vehicle registrations online too.

If you use the Search button above and search on the word Domicile you'll find some previous discussions related to fulltimers choosing a new domicile state.  It's not an easy choice because the states each have pros and cons, most are related to financial concerns while others are more unusual such as your situation.

ArdraF

South Dakota would also be a state to consider setting up domicile in.  We have no income tax, vehicle registration fees are low and it is gun friendly with "shall issue" CCW laws. 

Two things:

If you pick Texas, check out the Escapees club. They can provide a domicile in Livingston with mail forwarding, etc., and Livingston is very undrrstanding about things like jury duty.

Texas now requires that your vehicle be inspected to renew the registration. They will make an exception if you promise to get it done when you return, but I'm not sure how long you can stretch that out.

Good luck,

Ernie

theboomanchu said:
South Dakota would also be a state to consider setting up domicile in.  We have no income tax, vehicle registration fees are low and it is gun friendly with "shall issue" CCW laws.
May or may not be an issue depending on individual circumstances, but don't you have to show proof (like a campground receipt) that you have actually been in South Dakota for 30 days to obtain or renew a South Dakota CCW permit?

What "shall issue" refers to is that if you meet the criteria such as none of the offenses that will disqualify you, having legal residency, etc, the issuing sheriff's department must by law, issue the permit.  "May issue" states (to my understanding)allow the issuing department to make the final decision, meaning if the sheriff doesn't like the t-shirt you're wearing, he can deny you your permit. 

Regarding proof that you have been in the state for 30 days is not something I have ever encountered, although I still reside and work in the state.  However, as far as I know, again, as long as you have legal residency I think you're good to go.  If that is not true, I would sure like to hear about it before we hit the road.

We're going to become FL residents after we get on the road full time and get out of CA (just as bad as NY). The firearm laws in FL are wonderful and they are very accommodating there.

You can get CCW permits from many different states as a non-resident (even as a NY resident) - AZ is a good example. You can do it via mail and its good in a number of states who have reciprocal permits with AZ.

If you dont have it already, The Travelers Guide to Firearms Laws http://amzn.to/1ATP3pl is a fantastic book and will give you a break down on each state.

theboomanchu said:
...Regarding proof that you have been in the state for 30 days is not something I have ever encountered, although I still reside and work in the state.  However, as far as I know, again, as long as you have legal residency I think you're good to go.  If that is not true, I would sure like to hear about it before we hit the road...
Here you go right from the SD law: "(6)      Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;"

Trailer traveler said:
Here you go right from the SD law: "(6)      Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;"

Thanks!  Now we'll have to make a point to come up and visit the kids and grandkids around the time it expires.

I know this is an old topic, but here is some info relative to the subject of full time RVers registering a gun:

My state of residence is SD, through America's Mailbox.
It's on my drivers license. I can vote, register my vehicles and get auto insurance there.
I attempted to buy a gun in SD at Cabela's in Grand Rapids. I was denied because I do not have a physical address.
As soon as I mentioned America's Mailbox in Box Elder, SD, I was told sorry, America's Mailbox is not allowed as a physical address. PO boxes, PMBs and the like are denied. It has to be an actual, physical property to register a gun.

I was advised to write my congressman.

I always carry, however I found this as a great option https://byrna.com/
This thing carries a powerful pepper round to allow you time for retreat. Not even a vest will interfere with the results.

I have tried mine out on my fence just for giggles, then walked too close after shooting and some of the cloud managed to blow at me, take my breath away and burn my eyes. The solid rounds shot center mass would take a perp down so I load the clip with one pepper then two solid rounds.  After watching the videos I just had to have one. That hole in the business end looks like a bad a$$ 50 cal pointed at you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4Go4qfN9M

We are South Dakota residents.  It works well for us, but we haven't managed to spend the 30 days there required to get their CCW.  So, we got a Florida non-resident permit.  Easy to get, reciprocity applies in all of the states that you would expect, and not in the states that you wouldn't.  They apparently do a thorough background check.  My wife got hers in short order, but mine was held up for close to 90 days because I had a dui when I was 26.  I'm 60 now, with a clean record since.  Anyway, it finally came through, and is great!  I understand that a Utah CCW is also a good one to get.

Trailer traveler said:

This requirement must have changed since 2018 when we became SD residents.  We were only required to show proof of being in the county of choice in a hotel or campground for 24-hours.  We went through Americas Mailbox and stayed in their CG to meet the requirement.

To tag along on this thread, I was under the impression that there is some laws on carrying certain fire arms across state lines, unless one obtains a federal firearms permit which I suspect is difficult.  If this is the case I would suspect this would adversely affect a full-timer.  Please forgive my ignorance as I am not a gun owner, so my understanding of the pertinent laws is limited. 

If you have a legal permit from your place of residence, you can travel to a place where you can legally have the firearm as long as it is not at hand while you are in a state you are not legal to own.

It's a little more complicated than that. 

Simply put you need to meet the rules of "transporting" firearms in every state you pass though and meet the carry and usage of firearms rules in the destination.  There are also specific counties that have different rule. There are websites to help you figure this out.

I researched the road trip from Ohio to MS in July - pretty easy states all the way through. Illinois is tough especially Cook County.

whiteva said:
I always carry, however I found this as a great option https://byrna.com/
This thing carries a powerful pepper round to allow you time for retreat. Not even a vest will interfere with the results.

I have tried mine out on my fence just for giggles, then walked too close after shooting and some of the cloud managed to blow at me, take my breath away and burn my eyes. The solid rounds shot center mass would take a perp down so I load the clip with one pepper then two solid rounds.  After watching the videos I just had to have one. That hole in the business end looks like a bad a$$ 50 cal pointed at you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4Go4qfN9M
Would be an option for folks like us who can't buy weapons (legally).

OutdoorFT said:
This is not about what ones to own or anything, since I've got a collection (which I will have to downsize, unfortunately). I'm more interested in how to go about purchasing another (if I chose to) while full timing. Because I live in a restricted state (NY), I don't want to have to do anything with them. I also know you can only purchase (or at least transfer to you) a handgun in your state of residence.

What is the best way to go to make this process as easy as possible?

Come on Down.  We Love Guns!

There are no Down Sides to the Lone Star State.

Yee Haw!  ;D

Welcome to Texas!

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom