Firearms and Full timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X-Roughneck said:
Come on Down.  We Love Guns!

There are no Down Sides to the Lone Star State.

Yee Haw!  ;D

Welcome to Texas!

JD

As part of the state to consider for a domicile in, Texas as I recall fairly recently requires an annual vehicle inspection.  If you plan to stay in or return at least annually then Texas might be a good option considering your interest in owning guns.  Just something to think about and look into to determine if this is correct.

PS...  I looked on the AZ site for CCW and cannot find any reference to getting permit as non-res.  My FL CCW is honored in AZ, so I am fine, and they hold reciprocity with many other states, but so far nothing on Non-res CCW.  Can you provide a link or a source?

In AZ I see a lot of Open Carry.  Seems pretty popular here.

License to carry Hand Gun in Texas is good for 4 Years (Looks like 5 yr as it renews on my Birthday 2024) and requires Fire Arm Class and a Range qualification.

I am not sure about a "REAL" address though?

I think the whole pistol registration deal set me back around $100-$150 bucks?  Training, plus License cost.

Apparently when you buy a gun in Texas the registration is Lax, but when it comes to obtaining a Carry they do check your back ground. 

I had a security clearance that had just be renewed a few years earlier and I had not had a traffic ticket since 1985 so my check was bam over the counter quick when he logged into the system.  He was like wow! That was quick. 

That instant approval allowed me to walk away that day with the pistol in my possession too.  People wait weeks before they are allowed to walk away with a purchase too.  They tell you that after they ring up the sale, so don't think everybody down here in Texas is crazy.  We do have and Follow Laws down here!  Law abiding folks like myself and pack do anyway.

I bought my only purchase of a Firearm the day I was not allowed to enter Post as a Military Retiree.  I think COVID hysteria was peaking at the time.  :eek: 

Figured just in case society comes unglued.  You never know. 

I want to have a say in any potential final chapters written to my book.  BTW I will ride into my sunset as the hero, in my authored book of life not the downtrodden unfortunate Sap.

They (State) sent me a plastic card in the mail to carry about 4 weeks after I provided scans when I uploaded Required Docs and paid online.

I only carry when we RV all other times it remains loaded in my night stand.  I don't need to check reciprocity agreements as I have it for a last resort worst case.

Yes, Texas Plated Vehicles to Include RV Require a Annual Safety Inspection, Emerg Brake, Lights Horn, No Smog Check down here in the Desert.  My Jeep I think was $85 to Register back in May and

.. sit down....

My RV with Military Affiliation Plates cost me $7.50 to annually Register (Yep, Texas Loves her Vets!).  Last year before I got the House Military Plates it cost me $135 and that is for a 32'5" Class C. 

I think As in Texas are in the $350 Range Per Year?  I think it is by Weight maybe?  Not 100% what drives the price up...my guess Weight, but As I do think are in that $$$ range. 

I was looking hard at a Tiffin 34PA kicking the tires, before we got the Winnebago Aspect last year.

https://www.texas.gov/

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/ltc/index.htm

Link has the current pricing, requirements for CCL on all the stuff on topic, scroll down for direct links off their home page.

Usually the gun stores have flyers on the front door about CCL training Points of Contact.

JD

I just renewed my LTC this summer. I think it is 5 or 6 years. I was pleasantly surprised when the police sergeant that administers the licenses told me that there was no renewal fee as I was over 70. He even offered edits to the form to make more easily approved. We have a gun friendly police department in my MA town. I think they figure if everyone is armed, they will have little crime to chase ?
MA doesn?t have reciprocal agreements with anyone. I also have a nonresident Utah LTC which works in many states. My biggest issue is I have to drive through NY to get out of the northeast. If I stay on the interstates, all I need do is unload the gun and store it and the ammo, separately in compartments not easy to hand till I get through the state.

My Moosberg 500 has a legal 18.5? barrel, legal adjustable stock, total legal length, limb saver, pistol grip, laser & light.

I had a Ranger stop by once and asked me why I had my rifle out and I told him bear defense. He took my rifle and asked me for my drivers license. Yes Sir, No Sir stuff. He came back a few minutes later and gave me my rifle back. He liked my shotgun and asked where I bought it. We had a great conversation. Nice guy and excellent officer just doing his job. I wish everyone would respect and appreciate the job they do. They put their life on the line every day and we need them.

Tom55555 said:
My Moosberg 500 has a legal 18.5? barrel, legal adjustable stock, total legal length, limb saver, pistol grip, laser & light.

I had a Ranger stop by once and asked me why I had my rifle out and I told him bear defense. He took my rifle and asked me for my drivers license. Yes Sir, No Sir stuff. He came back a few minutes later and gave me my rifle back. He liked my shotgun and asked where I bought it. We had a great conversation. Nice guy and excellent officer just doing his job. I wish everyone would respect and appreciate the job they do. They put their life on the line every day and we need them.

The 500 Shockwave certainly has some controversy around it (I know cuz I have one) and there are differences state by state. Not saying you have anything non compliant with an 18.5" barrel but the devil is in the details...

I agree, you need to know the rules. Shotguns are often perceived as a tool where pistols and rifles that carry more rounds are considered weapons. What's funny is Alaskan guides often carry a shotgun with 3" magnum bear slugs to protect their customers in the unlikely event a grizzly bear would attack.

I looked up the Shockwave. Probably illegal in many states. I need a stock that pulls out to hit a target at 100 yards.

If you guys like the 500. you should check out the Rock Island VR60. Gas charged semi (based on the AR platform) with 2x 5rd mags and 4 rails around the barrel. I have heard that you can get 20rd drums and 19rd bananas for them, but I use mine for hunting and obviously that many rounds is not practical. In MN, you need a pistol permit to purchase it; but those are free from the local PD.

The 500 is essentially the same gun as the maverick 88 by Mossberg.  Difference is as I have read, is parts come from Mexico and assembled in TX.  Anyway, there is a model called Field and Security, comes with 28" barrel that will accept chokes, and an 18.5" barrel, fully legal.  It comes with a regular stock, but other stocks available.  highly customizable. 

Configured with the short barrel, it is easily stored in a closet for fairly quick reach. 

MS does require residency for 12 months but proof to establish residency only require a MS car tag and bank statements. No state vehicle inspection. MS is the cheapest state to retire in. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/americas-10-cheapest-states-to-live-2019.html

At #50 MS is ranked dead last to prevent gun violence. https://giffords.org/lawcenter/resources/scorecard/

MS does not require a license to carry concealed. 13 states do not require a CCW for a MS resident. For reciprocity with other states there are 2 levels of shall issue written permits. The lowest level is valid in most states and does not require a training session, just a background check and fingerprinting.

At gun shows no background check is required to buy a handgun from a private seller. I have a half dozen handguns I bought without the seller even knowing my name. To buy from a dealer no permit required, only an instant background check is required with no waiting period.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/mississippi-gun-laws/

US Title 26 Code Section 5845

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

Follow up: Fun to watch if you hunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTw3q9H2Zs

Sounds like Grandpa but pretty smart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwGt25vZaM

Tom55555 said:
I agree, you need to know the rules. Shotguns are often perceived as a tool where pistols and rifles that carry more rounds are considered weapons. What's funny is Alaskan guides often carry a shotgun with 3" magnum bear slugs to protect their customers in the unlikely event a grizzly bear would attack.

I looked up the Shockwave. Probably illegal in many states. I need a stock that pulls out to hit a target at 100 yards.

On some bad (internet) advice I ordered the wrong 18.5" barrel from Mossberg last week. They are being really nice about the return and I sent them my shotgun S/N so they can recommend some conversion barrels. The problem is the 5+1 mag is to short to capture the barrel's ring but I am confident Mossberg will let me know.

Tons and tons of ignorant and bad advice on the message boards. Most discussion devolve into a dung fight on gun laws and of course they vary federally and state by state so we all have to be super aware - ignorance is not defense when the Barney Fife shows up - LOL

Ex-Calif said:
Ignorance is not defense when the Barney Fife shows up - LOL

OsiFFer I thought....  ;D

Son, Can you please step out of the car?  You get dangerous when you get to thinking!
--

Early morning acting brought to you by, 

JD

State by State Concealed Carry Permit Laws

May Issue to Residents Only 2

The state will make a judgment call about to whom to issue a concealed carry permit after the resident has completed the application and met the requirements. Only residents of the state are considered.  California and Delaware

May Issue to Residents & Non-Residents 6

The state will make a judgment call about to whom to issue a concealed carry permit after the person has completed the application and met the requirements. Residents and non-residents are considered.  Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York

Shall Issue to Residents Only 7

The state will issue a concealed carry permit to any resident who applies and meets the requirements.  Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, and Nebraska

Shall Issue to Residents & Non-Residents  19 & DC

The state will issue a concealed carry permit to anyone who applies and meets the requirements.  DC, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin

Constitutional Carry & Shall Issue to Residents Only  5

Residents are allowed to carry concealed firearms without a permit. However, the state will issue permits to residents who meet application requirements.
Alaska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents & Non-Residents  10

Residents and non-residents are allowed to carry concealed firearms without a permit. However, the state will issue permits if the applicant meets the requirements.  Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, and North Dakota

Constitutional Carry & Does Not Issue Permits  1

No permits are issued, however the state allows concealed carry.  Vermont

Source:  USA Carry, ?Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Map,? usacarry.com, Mar. 12, 2019

From:  https://concealedguns.procon.org/state-by-state-concealed-carry-permit-laws/
This site has a map of the above info for easy identification of each category.

Now all you gotta do is pick your state and determine if you MEET THE REQUIREMENTS

Ex-Calif
Which Mossberg do you have?  I see you have the Shockwave, but doubt you are getting barrel for it.  My Mav 88 is the F&S so came with 18.5 and 28" barrel.

I approve this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2eRC5G1cfM

PancakeBill said:
Ex-Calif
Which Mossberg do you have?  I see you have the Shockwave, but doubt you are getting barrel for it.  My Mav 88 is the F&S so came with 18.5 and 28" barrel.

I have a 590 Mossberg Shockwave.  Good news is I contacted Mossberg and they clued me in on the part numbers I need for an 18.5 barrel. It was kinda funny that I trolled a lot of message boards looking for the simple answer to "What part numbers do I need" - needless to say there were endless pages of debate about the legality of the guns but no practical knowledge available. Lots of armchair theories, though...

Mossberg confirms there is only 1 18.5 barrel that will fit. One also needs a 6+1 tube. I am waiting for my return to be processed and then I am going to order the parts.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
A fulltimer still has to be a resident somewhere, so you need to establish residence in a state that is suitable to your needs. Most choose for low taxes and RV-friendly vehicle rules, but maybe you would prioritize gun-friendly first. Texas, maybe?

Let me tell you Vets about the Great State of Texas with our No State Income Tax, but high Property Taxes. 

If you are a Vet, and you Request a Free Military Affiliation Plate for your RV, and if this is your First Plated / Military Affiliated vehicle the RV Registration cost per year is $7.50 for a Class C. 

I talked to a Owner of a Class A last week who had both RV and Car plated and he told me he Paid also $7.50 for annual Registration for his Class A also.  To get the Registration window sticker to display in the Front Windshield you must also have a safety inspection performed for another $7.50 within 30 Days of Registering.  They input the results in a state wide system that links in to Texas, but they give you a hard copy Inspection report to take with you.

Last year pre Non Military Affiliation I paid $135 to Register the Class C when I did for the first time.  I also had to pay over 5 Grand in Sales Tax to Texas for my Purchase out of Detroit Motor City when we did a fly, buy and drive in August 2019.

I was looking at Class A and I think the Registration is around $350 a year as I was pricing out some Class As in our 8 month Search for our first RV.

JD

As Far a Guns I could not tell you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom