rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Firearms and Full timing  (Read 6919 times)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 99 Country Coach Magna
Re: Firearms and Full timing
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 11:39:40 AM »
The 500 is essentially the same gun as the maverick 88 by Mossberg.  Difference is as I have read, is parts come from Mexico and assembled in TX.  Anyway, there is a model called Field and Security, comes with 28" barrel that will accept chokes, and an 18.5" barrel, fully legal.  It comes with a regular stock, but other stocks available.  highly customizable. 

Configured with the short barrel, it is easily stored in a closet for fairly quick reach. 

Bill & Jolene & Chancey
(Koda 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
1999 Country Coach Magna 40'
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 01:01:11 PM »
MS does require residency for 12 months but proof to establish residency only require a MS car tag and bank statements. No state vehicle inspection. MS is the cheapest state to retire in. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/americas-10-cheapest-states-to-live-2019.html

At #50 MS is ranked dead last to prevent gun violence. https://giffords.org/lawcenter/resources/scorecard/

MS does not require a license to carry concealed. 13 states do not require a CCW for a MS resident. For reciprocity with other states there are 2 levels of shall issue written permits. The lowest level is valid in most states and does not require a training session, just a background check and fingerprinting.

At gun shows no background check is required to buy a handgun from a private seller. I have a half dozen handguns I bought without the seller even knowing my name. To buy from a dealer no permit required, only an instant background check is required with no waiting period.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/mississippi-gun-laws/
Retired computer automation programmer
1997 30' Class C plus 2008 popup
DW loves camping more than I do!

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »
US Title 26 Code Section 5845

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

Follow up: Fun to watch if you hunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTw3q9H2Zs

Sounds like Grandpa but pretty smart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwGt25vZaM

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 04:46:00 PM by Tom55555 »
2015 Winnebago 22R

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 07:14:43 AM »
I agree, you need to know the rules. Shotguns are often perceived as a tool where pistols and rifles that carry more rounds are considered weapons. What's funny is Alaskan guides often carry a shotgun with 3" magnum bear slugs to protect their customers in the unlikely event a grizzly bear would attack.

I looked up the Shockwave. Probably illegal in many states. I need a stock that pulls out to hit a target at 100 yards.

On some bad (internet) advice I ordered the wrong 18.5" barrel from Mossberg last week. They are being really nice about the return and I sent them my shotgun S/N so they can recommend some conversion barrels. The problem is the 5+1 mag is to short to capture the barrel's ring but I am confident Mossberg will let me know.

Tons and tons of ignorant and bad advice on the message boards. Most discussion devolve into a dung fight on gun laws and of course they vary federally and state by state so we all have to be super aware - ignorance is not defense when the Barney Fife shows up - LOL
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J/ 2013 Jeep
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 05:46:54 AM »
Ignorance is not defense when the Barney Fife shows up - LOL

OsiFFer I thought....  ;D

Son, Can you please step out of the car?  You get dangerous when you get to thinking!
--

Early morning acting brought to you by, 

JD
2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep
M&G Air Over Hydraulic Brake on Jeep
Air Tank Adapter for braking on RV

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

Dreamsend

• ---
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »
State by State Concealed Carry Permit Laws

May Issue to Residents Only 2

The state will make a judgment call about to whom to issue a concealed carry permit after the resident has completed the application and met the requirements. Only residents of the state are considered.  California and Delaware

May Issue to Residents & Non-Residents 6

The state will make a judgment call about to whom to issue a concealed carry permit after the person has completed the application and met the requirements. Residents and non-residents are considered.  Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York

Shall Issue to Residents Only 7

The state will issue a concealed carry permit to any resident who applies and meets the requirements.  Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, and Nebraska

Shall Issue to Residents & Non-Residents  19 & DC

The state will issue a concealed carry permit to anyone who applies and meets the requirements.  DC, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin

Constitutional Carry & Shall Issue to Residents Only  5

Residents are allowed to carry concealed firearms without a permit. However, the state will issue permits to residents who meet application requirements.
Alaska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents & Non-Residents  10

Residents and non-residents are allowed to carry concealed firearms without a permit. However, the state will issue permits if the applicant meets the requirements.  Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, and North Dakota

Constitutional Carry & Does Not Issue Permits  1

No permits are issued, however the state allows concealed carry.  Vermont

Source:  USA Carry, “Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Map,” usacarry.com, Mar. 12, 2019

From:  https://concealedguns.procon.org/state-by-state-concealed-carry-permit-laws/
This site has a map of the above info for easy identification of each category.

Now all you gotta do is pick your state and determine if you MEET THE REQUIREMENTS

Linda with kitty Sara
2019 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge
27BHS
2017 Ford F250 Lariat aka Gypsy Rose

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
Ex-Calif
Which Mossberg do you have?  I see you have the Shockwave, but doubt you are getting barrel for it.  My Mav 88 is the F&S so came with 18.5 and 28" barrel.
Bill & Jolene & Chancey
(Koda 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 01:40:28 AM »
2015 Winnebago 22R

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 04:41:22 AM »
Ex-Calif
Which Mossberg do you have?  I see you have the Shockwave, but doubt you are getting barrel for it.  My Mav 88 is the F&S so came with 18.5 and 28" barrel.

I have a 590 Mossberg Shockwave.  Good news is I contacted Mossberg and they clued me in on the part numbers I need for an 18.5 barrel. It was kinda funny that I trolled a lot of message boards looking for the simple answer to "What part numbers do I need" - needless to say there were endless pages of debate about the legality of the guns but no practical knowledge available. Lots of armchair theories, though...

Mossberg confirms there is only 1 18.5 barrel that will fit. One also needs a 6+1 tube. I am waiting for my return to be processed and then I am going to order the parts.
Various classic MGBs

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J/ 2013 Jeep
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2020, 06:19:23 AM »
A fulltimer still has to be a resident somewhere, so you need to establish residence in a state that is suitable to your needs. Most choose for low taxes and RV-friendly vehicle rules, but maybe you would prioritize gun-friendly first. Texas, maybe?

Let me tell you Vets about the Great State of Texas with our No State Income Tax, but high Property Taxes. 

If you are a Vet, and you Request a Free Military Affiliation Plate for your RV, and if this is your First Plated / Military Affiliated vehicle the RV Registration cost per year is $7.50 for a Class C. 

I talked to a Owner of a Class A last week who had both RV and Car plated and he told me he Paid also $7.50 for annual Registration for his Class A also.  To get the Registration window sticker to display in the Front Windshield you must also have a safety inspection performed for another $7.50 within 30 Days of Registering.  They input the results in a state wide system that links in to Texas, but they give you a hard copy Inspection report to take with you.

Last year pre Non Military Affiliation I paid $135 to Register the Class C when I did for the first time.  I also had to pay over 5 Grand in Sales Tax to Texas for my Purchase out of Detroit Motor City when we did a fly, buy and drive in August 2019.

I was looking at Class A and I think the Registration is around $350 a year as I was pricing out some Class As in our 8 month Search for our first RV.

JD

As Far a Guns I could not tell you.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep
M&G Air Over Hydraulic Brake on Jeep
Air Tank Adapter for braking on RV

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 06:43:39 AM »
Let me tell you Vets about the Great State of Texas with our No State Income Tax, but high Property Taxes. 

If you are a Vet, and you Request a Free Military Affiliation Plate for your RV, and if this is your First Plated / Military Affiliated vehicle the RV Registration cost per year is $7.50 for a Class C. 

I talked to a Owner of a Class A last week who had both RV and Car plated and he told me he Paid also $7.50 for annual Registration for his Class A also.  To get the Registration window sticker to display in the Front Windshield you must also have a safety inspection performed for another $7.50 within 30 Days of Registering.  They input the results in a state wide system that links in to Texas, but they give you a hard copy Inspection report to take with you.

Last year pre Non Military Affiliation I paid $135 to Register the Class C when I did for the first time.  I also had to pay over 5 Grand in Sales Tax to Texas for my Purchase out of Detroit Motor City when we did a fly, buy and drive in August 2019.

I was looking at Class A and I think the Registration is around $350 a year as I was pricing out some Class As in our 8 month Search for our first RV.

JD

As Far a Guns I could not tell you.

In the neighboring state of Arkansas, The Viet Nam Vet plate for my Jeep is only $6/year.  I inquired about getting one for the motor home, and they said,"sure, but you only get one discount, you'll have to pay the full registration price for the RV". 
So, for the Viet Nam vet plate on the RV, I pay $35/year.

Before I sold all my Harley's 2 out of the 3 were eligible for antique tags.  Those were a $5 one time fee, with no mileage limits.  Just had to keep the insurance current once you had the plate.
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53   "Kobayashi Maru"
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2020, 07:27:42 AM »
Self defense is a legal right. I would prefer to defend myself, be arrested and judged by a jury of my peers than be eaten alive by a bear, alligator or wolves.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2020, 09:30:14 AM »
Self defense is a legal right. I would prefer to defend myself, be arrested and judged by a jury of my peers than be eaten alive by a bear, alligator or wolves.

I would posit you would be safe from prosecution if you defended yourself from being eaten or maimed by a wild animal. I would even go so far as to say you might be safe from prosecution in Texas and Florida if you protected yourself from a person knocking on your door asking for directions.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »

You would be safe in ANY STATE for protecting yourself from a person at your door asking for directions,,,as long as you don't point a gun at them,, so what's the problem??.>>>Dan
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Last year Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919

You can't fix stupid,, but you can numb it with a 2X4

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »
You would be safe in ANY STATE for protecting yourself from a person at your door asking for directions,,,as long as you don't point a gun at them,, so what's the problem??.>>>Dan

No problem at all, but you missed my point and if it has to be explained then it’s lost on you.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2020, 12:29:50 PM »
I had to put down an alligator because it was acting aggressive and wouldn't go away. South Florida is a very different place, no Ranger or Police Officer showed up. It didn't go to waste. We ate the tail and gave the skin to someone that said they could use it.

Bears are smarter and avoid conflict and will run when they hear a slide rack on a shotgun. I'm assuming the ones I've seen have been shot in the butt with a rubber bullet by a Ranger
2015 Winnebago 22R

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
I had to put down an alligator because it was acting aggressive and wouldn't go away. South Florida is a very different place, no Ranger or Police Officer showed up. It didn't go to waste. We ate the tail and gave the skin to someone that said they could use it.

Bears are smarter and avoid conflict and will run when they hear a slide rack on a shotgun. I'm assuming the ones I've seen have been shot in the butt with a rubber bullet by a Ranger

Alligators are aggressive especially a female with babies around. Had to run from one at a waste treatment pond on Barksdale AFB. The closest I’ve been to bears were dead ones at the King Salmon, AK airport. I was loading bear hides in the bellies of Mark Air airplanes. Boy do they stink.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »
Especially when still nursing.
Bill & Jolene & Chancey
(Koda 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2020, 04:51:15 PM »
Especially when still nursing.

Well, I had ceased nursing by that time.  8)
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2020, 06:29:00 PM »
 You wre knocking Florida and Texas gun laws (as usual),, and as usual I did not agree..>>>Dan
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »
You wre knocking Florida and Texas gun laws (as usual),, and as usual I did not agree..>>>Dan

As someone famous once said “I don’t care, do you”.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2020, 08:08:58 PM »
Guns are good. They are great tools and can absolutely save you and your family's life from bears, alligators and wolves. I'm prepared. Everyone should be.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 08:19:16 PM »
Guns are good. They are great tools and can absolutely save you and your family's life from bears, alligators and wolves. I'm prepared. Everyone should be.

I was actually thinking about purchasing a shotgun for when we are on our property in Virginia. Bears have been reported in the area. No handguns though. I can’t hit the side of a barn from the inside.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 08:35:35 PM »
Just get a $180 Mossberg 500 from Dick's Sporting Goods and shoot it at the range a few times. If you have questions I'm happy to help.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 09:17:21 PM »
Just get a $180 Mossberg 500 from Dick's Sporting Goods and shoot it at the range a few times. If you have questions I'm happy to help.

I was thinking a double barrel 3” magnum.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2020, 09:30:25 PM »
Whatever you want is fine, I prefer the pump because humans and bears understand the sound
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:40:54 PM by Tom55555 »
2015 Winnebago 22R

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2020, 09:41:29 PM »
 Some one is very behind the news,, Dick's quit selling firearms and ammo a long time ago with much fanfare..>>>Dan
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »

When seconds count the ranger is only hours away...

If you are gonna use a shotgun to protect against bear you will want to shoot slugs and get pretty good at it. Bird shot will just make a grizzly mad...

The shotgun racks are getting plenty thin on pickin's right now. Pretty much nothing sub $300 left on the shelves. I just bought a 12g "Hatfield" 12 gauge semi-auto "Field Gun" at Walmart for $175 bucks. Made in Turkey it turns out.  Shoots well. I put about 200 rounds through it this weekend shooting trap + about 10 rounds of slug at 50 yards.

Various classic MGBs

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »
Two years ago I bought 5000 CCI Blazer 22LR rounds for three cents a round, now it's back to around seven cents. I bought them to run through my AR15 because it's cheaper than 556 and only takes thirty seconds to swap bolts and great for small game.

I use Brenneke 3" Black Magic Magnum slugs in my Mossberg 500.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2020, 02:59:09 PM »
I supplied shotguns, mostly Mossberg 500, to helicopter crews working in the high arctic. They were loaded with slugs alternated with 00 shot to discourage polar bears. Due to Canadian firearm regulations it was a massive headache I didn't need. I never heard of one needed for its intended purpose.