A year away-can't wait

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anchors

Greetings, folks. I'm new here, would love to chat, but won't waste too much of your time if I can avoid it. Here's the deal:
Single, 60, mechanical-skills, can get by on minimal income once I sell the house and every single thing I don't need (spring/summer 2016) and I'm planning on going FT until I croak (more or less). Want to buy a new Class C, looking at 25 footers or so. Will have about 70K to pay cash on a motor home once the house is gone.  I am considering towing my trusty 2004 VW Jetta behind me, if many of you so advise. Can a Ford E450 handle the car also once the home is fully loaded? I've started some research, think I like a Class C similar to this: http://nexusrv.com/product/phantom-23-p-class-c-motorhome

But, it might be wiser (or more affordable?) to buy a half-ton (or bigger) and tow a TT, and then use the pickup as a detached vehicle when I want to stay put for a month or so at a time. However, I've always hated dealing with hitched trailers/cement mixers, so I prefer the Class C idea. Opinions?

I've got a lot to learn about this, but I've got lots of time. You all are clearly the best source for the real gouge (can anyone tell I was in the Navy?).
BTW, I have VA health insurance. I plan to avoid cold weather situations, I hope to hit decent parks and campgrounds for several weeks to a couple of months at a time, in between visiting places and my kids/family. Will go north when the polar vortex isn't around, and south when it is. Money wise, I'll have about 1400 a month to blow on everything (once SS comes in), and figure that leaves me about 1000 to pay for gas, campgrounds, cell phone/internet service.  I do my own cheap cooking.

Also, I figure I will need to buy a plot of land in my home state (VT) to maintain legal residence. Any advice concerning that? I want to avoid having a stick house at all cost, though I think having a piece of land I can park on is a good idea.

So, ladies and gents, hit me up with whatever you want to tell me! I'm all ears.
Many thanks.
Frank

I drag a 4,600# Jeep Wrangler X with my 2104 Winnebago Aspect 30J on an E450 chassis. I researched Nexus motor homes and my final result as you can see is a Winnebago. Nexus does NOT have a dealer support program, and I have not heard a lot of positive responses from Nexus owners.

Most folks full timing choose a Class A over the smaller Class C, where there is more livability, and storage.

Oscar Mike,
Thx for the heads up on Nexus. I hope to look into several brands and I appreciate knowing which ones carry the best reputation.
Also, it's good to know your Winnie/E450  can pull a Wrangler. I'd like to keep the Jetta:)

Class A seems a bit out of my reach, but I'll look into it more.
Catch you again.
Best,
Frank

It sounds like you are still deciding id you want a self powered RV or a tow behind. It seems to me, that you are looking at the wrong class in both cases.

For the self powered, you would probably be better off with a class A than a class C. The class A will have a lot more storage space, which should be important for full timing. For a given length, it will tend to have a bit more usable space. It will generally be better for pulling a toad. It will also tend to be more comfortable to drive, especially in windy conditions.

For tow behinds, you would be better off with a fifth wheel than with a TT. The 5er will have loads more storage space. For a given length, it will give you 3' to 4' more living space, and will have a much shorter overall (trailer + truck) length. Best of all it almost completely eliminates the feeling of tail wagging the dog that is so common with TTs.

Joel

Joel,
Thanks for the advice concerning the fifth wheel. I've got to look into that more as I don't know much about them.
Definitely seems like Class A (new) is out of my $$ range. Most seem to start at 90K... But I'll keep my options open and keep on looking.
Thanks for the info.
Best,
Frank

When I first got a 5th wheel, I kept looking out the back window to make sure it was still there, because I just couldn't feel it. The only drawback is that the hitch does use up some space in the bed.

Joel

welcome and congrats! spend time looking at all the different options you will have. what we have done in the past is sit in the camper and go through our routine- there are pros and cons to all options and you will need to decide which works best for you.
lots to decide- take your time and look around and then shop the camper you choose.
ask lots of questions- great group of people on this site with lots of diverse experiences.

Steve

re: Joel- Lots of different opinions about fivers vs TT. Interesting to read about how folks discuss how they drive/handle etc. I will keep looking into options.
re: Steve - Thanks for the encouragement. I agree that it is great to have a resource like this with hundreds (more?) of experienced folks. I have plenty of research to do. This is going to be fun!
Thanks, all.
Later,
Frank

Anchors said:
re: Joel- Lots of different opinions about fivers vs TT. Interesting to read about how folks discuss how they drive/handle etc. I will keep looking into options.
re: Steve - Thanks for the encouragement. I agree that it is great to have a resource like this with hundreds (more?) of experienced folks. I have plenty of research to do. This is going to be fun!
Thanks, all.
Later,
Frank

There is a whole lot of fun during search and acquire phase of RVing. I spent quite some time looking for my first coach and I still made a huge mistake, sold it and moved into my current coach. The moral of the story...when you think you have it all figured out, try finding a different perspective to look at it all over again. Mistakes in this lifestyle are expensive... :-[

OM,
From the price points I'm seeing, I already agree with that, and I haven't spent a dime!
Thx,
Frank

I've already spent 15 months looking at options and realistically have almost 3 years to go before I make a final decision. While I still have the same basic plan (a 5th wheel and diesel truck), I've changed my mind about 3 or 4 times on exactly what I want regarding size and layout, etc. I've also, because of this forum, looked seriously at the other options (class A mainly). The great thing is that I've learned so much. Reading about other people's issues and mistakes makes one less likely to repeat those problems. Although, of course, I said less likely.
Bob

Bob,
I agree on all counts. I keep going back and forth between my initial ideas, but since none of them are cast in cement, I figure that's a good thing. Better to work on an idea for a long time compared to rushing into it.

One thing that's come into the mix for me is the fuel source. I know once I go the route of FT that I have to accept that I'll be burning something (instead of heating a house, etc.), but I am starting to search to see if there are any options that burn something other than gas. Turns out the Ford E350/450 class can be a Flex-Fuel engine (which burns E85 methanol) and the number of stations offering it is growing. It is cheaper than gas, but gets less mileage. Now I just have to see if any motor homes or strong trucks come with that option.

A good thing about a diesel is that perhaps you can find a bio-diesel burning engine in a pickup or class A.

I figure I want to try to feel good about how much driving I'll be doing. It's all a compromise, I guess, once way or the other.
Good luck to you.
Frank

Why buy new? You can probably find a nice used class A that has had the bugs worked out for the price of a new class C. Also check out "Escapees". Is there a particular reason to keep Virginia residency? Escapees can provide a legal address in in a tax friendlier state such as Texas or Florida.

Hey, Kdbgoat,
Thanks for the reply.
Re: used vs new: I've been debating that point as well. I could save a lot of money buying used.

On the flip side, every time I buy a new vehicle and take care of it, I get many years of top quality use out of it. But money is a big issue, so I will be looking into used quite a bit.

And thx for the advice re: Escapees section. I will check it out. I'm sure it has lots of good info.
And I don't really want to switch state residency as I may end up coming back here after a few years. I'll be following up with the state to find out what is involved in keep legal residency if I don't own property or have a physical mailing address.

Best,
frank

Back
Top Bottom