2015 2500 ram 6.7l diesel and 27ft fiver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

munkey

i have a 2015 2500 hd 6.7l turbo diesel cummins 4x4 truck and also have a 27ft 5th wheel trail that I will be picking up in couple days I am very new to towing and wanted to know if this truck is going to pull my fifth wheel with a gvwr of 11,750 with out issues, should I get the air ride put in or any extra's to help. Also we will be using this truck to go to Alberta with in about 3years to go full time rv ing.

You need to confirm all the numbers - there are many threads on here that explain how to calculate, is the 11K number dry weight if so you need to find out the loaded weight.

I would suspect you will be fine - read the door post on your truck and the tag on the left corner of the RV....

Good Luck,

Jim

is the 11K number dry weight if so you need to find out the loaded weight.

going to pull my fifth wheel with a gvwr of 11,750
emphasis mine...

Munkey, that sounds pretty good if, as I suspect, the tow rating for your truck is at least 10% (preferably 20%) higher than that (allow for mountains, altitude unless turbo'ed,  extra loading in truck, etc.)

Once loaded and scaled you will be right at your limits.  Will it tow OK?  Sure.  The Cummins has gobs of power.  Will you be happy with the way it handles?  Maybe, maybe not!  Your going to have to load everything up and go camping to decide if it is comfortable for you or not.

The dry weight of the trailer is 8,000 pounds I am unsure about the ratings on the truck but when I get home Thursday I will post those numbers  as well I have been told I have well enough truck for my trail but wanted to join here and see the info I get from more experienced RVER's, plus is also nice to maybe get insight to what I have to look forward to in my future indevors.

But on another note is it worth it to put the airbags in the truck to lvl  it out while towing, willing to spend the extra money to do so if it makes for a nicer ride considering we will be traveling lots

Larry N. said:
emphasis mine...

Munkey, that sounds pretty good if, as I suspect, the tow rating for your truck is at least 10% (preferably 20%) higher than that (allow for mountains, altitude unless turbo'ed,  extra loading in truck, etc.)

Tow rating on my truck is 17,950lbs And it is a turbo diesel

When I first started pulling a 27' 5er with MY 2500, DIESEL Silverado, I kept turning around to make sure it was still there, because I couldn't feel it. I would thing that yours should be about the same.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
When I first started pulling a 27' 5er with MY 2500, DIESEL Silverado, I kept turning around to make sure it was still there, because I couldn't feel it. I would thing that yours should be about the same.

Joel

This is nice to hear and was told I bought the right truck I did do my research before buying the truck but am not to familiar with the gvwr and axle weight and all that good stuff but I am slowly learning through the help of friends and full time RVER's on this site

munkey said:
Tow rating on my truck is 17,950lbs And it is a turbo diesel

Tow rating isn't the limiting factor with a 2500 and a fiver, it's payload.  A fiver puts about 22% of it's weight in the bed of the truck.  I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 4X4, and payload stops at about 2400 lbs.  At 11K lbs, if your loaded up to that number, you're very near the truck's limits.  Will it tow OK?  Probably....as mentioned, the Cummins is a monster.  Just ensure you stay within the truck's ratings.  If you're going to want a heavier fiver down the road, a 3500 is in order.

Like for my old 2002 Dodge Cummins I'm rated to tow 13,400 worth of trailer. I can tell you that you better weight you vehicle again. Like mine even though I'm rated for 13,400 at 8,020 pounds of trailer I'm at my GVWR of the truck. So you have to subtract the cargo, people, fuel, etc. from that nice 13,400 number then also fit the GVWR of the truck as well which mine is 8,800 which I'm at right now. So if it was me I would load the family up and go scale the truck for axle weights and then GVW and then you know exactly what you have left.

Once I do pic up the trailer I will be weighing every thing I know I will be ok and am not going to bring trail to its max thanks for all tips loving the feed back and quick response from everyone  ;)

Back
Top Bottom