*New* will I have issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

munkey

i have a 2015 2500 hd 6.7l turbo diesel cummins 4x4 truck and also have a 27ft 5th wheel trail that I will be picking up in couple days I am very new to towing and wanted to know if this truck is going to pull my fifth wheel with a gvwr of 11,750 with out issues, should I get the air ride put in or any extra's to help. Also we will be using this truck to go to Alberta with in about 3years to go full time rv ing. 

Any info is good info

You need the CGVWR(combined gross vehicle weight rating); this is how much the truck can tow with it's own loaded weight and the weight of the trailer. 

Then you need the GVWR (how much the truck can weight when loaded with people as well as the 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the truck).  You subtract the 2 numbers and that is how much the trailer can weight.  When you know that number you will then need the GVWR of the trailer and can determine if you are in the ball park for weights. 

CGVWR-GVWR of the truck=how much the trailer can weight.

You also should check on the axle weight rating to make sure the 5th wheel hitch isn't overloading the axles.

We also have the information in our library.  Just click the "library" button above.

Marsha~

Dodge advertises their diesel TOWING as nearly 18,000 pounds.  Unless your truck is something other than a Dodge 2500 diesel I can't imagine you're going to be overweight.

When they say Towing they mean 18,000 pounds in addition to the weight of the truck.  But do take a look at your GCVWR, subtract out how much your trailer weighs, What's left is how much other stuff you can take along.

The other thing to think about is the pin weight, max for that truck is 3,030 pounds, and that includes gas, passengers, stuff.

According to Dodge your GCVWR is in the neighborhood of 28,000 pounds with the max towing package.  But again, only the sticker on the door means anything at this point.

Just a stupid question.  Couldn't you ask the dealership you bought the truck at. What the tow capacity is.      With that asked.  Your truck is rated for a minum of 13,000 lbs tow capacity  and a bed capacity of 3500 lbs.  Your well with in the limits and you have a very capable tow vehicle... As for the air ride. I'm shoure the rv deler installing your hitch will recommend it.  But I would pass.  And see how she tows first.  You can allways go back and have it added

8Muddypaws said:
Dodge advertises their diesel TOWING as nearly 18,000 pounds.  Unless your truck is something other than a Dodge 2500 diesel I can't imagine you're going to be overweight.

When they say Towing they mean 18,000 pounds in addition to the weight of the truck.  But do take a look at your GCVWR, subtract out how much your trailer weighs, What's left is how much other stuff you can take along.

The other thing to think about is the pin weight, max for that truck is 3,030 pounds, and that includes gas, passengers, stuff.

According to Dodge your GCVWR is in the neighborhood of 28,000 pounds with the max towing package.  But again, only the sticker on the door means anything at this point.

See I'm unclear what pin weight is and I will have to wait till Thursday to get numbers off truck, I know it has tow capacity of 17,950lbs and the trail weights 8,000 dry gvwr for trailer is 11,750lbs so thus means I am guessing that the trailers max weight can be if not going over weight with the cgvwr 11,750lbs

I am sorry if I confuse anyone just trying to learn

Also big fan on how u have 2 golden retrievers I have 2 retrievers as well that  will be with us on our future journeys

The actual pin weight of that trailer will be 20-24% of its actual loaded weight. You won't know that until you load it and haul it to a scale, so for starters assume 20% of the trailer GVWR. If the trailer GVWR is 11,750, then estimate the pin weight at 2350 lbs.  If that plus other weight carried on the truck puts you close to the truck GVWR and truck rear axle GAWR, then definitely get a more refined number via a scale.

Forgive me, but isn't it rather late to be asking this question? You already bought the truck and the trailer!

Gary RV Roamer said:
The actual pin weight of that trailer will be 20-24% of its actual loaded weight. You won't know that until you load it and haul it to a scale, so for starters assume 20% of the trailer GVWR. If the trailer GVWR is 11,750, then estimate the pin weight at 2350 lbs.  If that plus other weight carried on the truck puts you close to the truck GVWR and truck rear axle GAWR, then definitely get a more refined number via a scale.

Forgive me, but isn't it rather late to be asking this question? You already bought the truck and the trailer!

Yep it is late but it has been done and just trying to learn about gvwr and gawr and all that stuff I know it is capable but just how capable that's all have three yrs till we hit the road to full time RVER's so I will have time to learn.

To determine the carrying capacity of your rear axle, you need to have the truck weighed.  If it weighs 7,000 lbs loaded for travel and the truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000, your carrying capacity is 3,000.  However, even if the trailer pin weight is 3,000 lbs or less, you might be over your rear axle weight rating.  When you have the truck weighed, you will get three weights.  Front and rear axle and total.  If you are over the rear axle weight rating, you may want to enhance your rear suspension.  Air bags as mentioned or perhaps an additional leaf spring. 

robertusa123 said:
Just a stupid question.  Couldn't you ask the dealership you bought the truck at. What the tow capacity is.      With that asked.  Your truck is rated for a minum of 13,000 lbs tow capacity  and a bed capacity of 3500 lbs.  Your well with in the limits and you have a very capable tow vehicle... As for the air ride. I'm shoure the rv deler installing your hitch will recommend it.  But I would pass.  And see how she tows first.  You can allways go back and have it added

, I never knew there was a minimum and also was trying to find out how to determine cgvwr ect. I am new at this....and sorry for asking a stupid question all u had to do was not answer the question if u felt the need to call it a stupid one

munkey said:
, I never knew there was a minimum and also was trying to find out how to determine cgvwr ect. I am new at this....and sorry for asking a stupid question all u had to do was not answer the question if u felt the need to call it a stupid one
I think you misunderstood.  I believe robertusa123 meant HIS question was a stupid question, not yours.

Ok well reason I did not ask dealer cause I knew more about truck then the sales guy but that's cause I did research just not familiar with all the weight stuff just don't want to get a ticket for being over weight when on the road I am young and dumb definitely  doing things backwards but I will learn lol

munkey said:
Ok well reason I did not ask dealer cause I knew more about truck then the sales guy but that's cause I did research just not familiar with all the weight stuff just don't want to get a ticket for being over weight when on the road I am young and dumb definitely  doing things backwards but I will learn lol

99.9% of state troopers aren't going to know anything whatsoever about RV weights.  Your problem isn't a ticket, it's being potentially overweight and creating an unsafe situation or damaging your equipment (I'm not saying you are or aren't overloaded, just stating what the potential issues are here)

Ram rates the truck at close to 18K lbs of CONVENTIONAL towing.  Your issue isn't towing capacity, it's payload with a 2500.  As mentioned above, you need to get the rig to a commercial scale and get your real numbers.....loaded up and ready to travel.  My gut feeling tells me you will be close, but within spec.  You won't want much heavier of a fiver with a 2500.  I see 2500's pulling very large fivers all the time going down the highway....I'd venture a guess that a lot of them are beyond payload specs. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom