Shore Power Surge Protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As  I said earlier, I purchased the portable Progressive 50 Amp surge protector. I have a 50 Amp fifth wheel and a 30 Amp truck camper. I can use it on both. All you need is the 30 to 50 and the 50 to 30 adapter and you'll be able to use it anyplace.  The progressive has a plate on the cord with a hole in it. It allows you to lock it up to the shore power pole. Of course if they want it bad enough, nothing will stop a crook.  I have the EMS-PT50C. I like the fact that I can monitor the electric as soon as I plug it into the pedestal.

Others like the hard wired model with the remote window so you can monitor the operation from inside the RV. It's just a matter of preference.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Just trying to add a bit of perspective, Ned. Nobody has an statistics, so we are all conjecturing.

Well three years ago right after getting this coach I was in Amarillo Texas at what seemed a nice place hooked up to 50 amp service. We had a load of clothes in the washer and I noticed the lights dim for a second. Well I was trying to get buy with out a surge guard as had just spent a lot of money getting this coach set up and all the services done. Well that little dip in the power cost me the circuit board for the washer. Just about a good steak dinner more than the surge guard cost.
Bill

1PlasticMan1 said:
Thanks, Jim.  What model would you suggest?  My Bounder is 50 amp.  Thanks.

I happen to prefer the transfer switch installation as that has been very successful in my RV so I would chose the Progressive industries Model EMS-HW50C.  It has all the protection of the other 50 amp unit plus the transfer switch.  I have had bad luck with the stand alone transfer switches and this one, although a TRC unit has been good for just over14 years, and I like Progressive Industries product better and if the unit in my RV fails, I will get the PI box to replace it.

Jim Godward said:
I happen to prefer the transfer switch installation as that has been very successful in my RV so I would chose the Progressive industries Model EMS-HW50C.  It has all the protection of the other 50 amp unit plus the transfer switch. 

I ordered one of these last week and from everything that I read it does not offer the transfer switch.  It required a separate transfer switch. 

Gregg said:
I ordered one of these last week and from everything that I read it does not offer the transfer switch.  It required a separate transfer switch.

OOPs, too fast on the search and reading the fine print.  I checked today and the only combined transfer switch and protection I found is the one I and Gary B have, the TRC unit.

Sorry to mislead anyone.

I thought maybe I missed it myself and did a quick search thinking you just saved me $125.

I just purchased a 2016 Bounder LA 35k.  It has a 50 amp surge protector in the same bay as the cable reel.  Look on the rear wall. I don't know if this helps. 

I am going to point out that there are TWO different devices sold as Surge Protectors.. I have both

one is a spike suppressor.. It may (or not) have LED's or other (NE-2) lights that are status lights.

The other is a much more complex device with LDC (usually) readouts.  This is the one I recommend

(Though one of the first is not a bad addition)

Sorry I have been away so long.  Took delivery of the Bounder on Thursday, June 11th, brougt it home and parked it.  My computer crashed big time, still not working correctly, installed a new hard drive, but still not able to get Outlook working.  We have been remodeling a room in our home, so that has consumed most of my time.  Anyway, the coach did come with a TRC surge protector, but not transfer switch.  Just beginning to get to know the unit, took a trip over 100 miles, and most things seem to be working.  Just a few minor glitches that can be easily remedied.  Just before we got home this past week, hear a rubbing noise in the drive train.  Can only hear it doing less than ten miles per hour, then the engine noise becomes too loud to hear it.  Talked to the dealer, they don't know what is causing it.  I am going to call Ford this week to get some answers and have someone look at it.  All in all, wife and I are very pleased with our decision.

If you hear a rubbing and have the ground clearance then inspect the drive shaft for evidence... Or anything near it that should not be.. However alas that is not the only area it might come from.

If you lift. Support with JACK STANDS, not just the jacks.. I work on my RV with jacks up.. but not all have that much ground clearance.

Thanks, John.  The rubbing is not a constant.  It is intermittant.  Consider a high spot on a shaft.  The faster the shaft turns, the more rapid the rubing sound occurs.  Can get under the unit, will look for anything that might have come down from the house to cause the noise.  Talked to Ford and they suggest that I go back to the RV dealer (which I have to do for other items), have them check it out and if they can't solve it, run to a Ford dealer to look at.  Have less than 1,000 miles on it, so under warranty.  Just inconvenient to take it back to the dealer - 2 hours away.

Back
Top Bottom