Auto, RV & Home Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1PlasticMan1

Before I get the new Bounder, have been researching insurance for it, and find that some companies will bundle RV, Autos and home.  Right now I am considering Allied Insurance, a Nationwide Insurance Company and Good Sam (source out the home owner to Progressive).  Looking for reviews of these companies and any other that you may suggest.

I just switched cars and coach to Allied, via the FMCA connection. I got a slightly better rate via FMCA's agency than with another agency quoting the exact same Allied policies. My home insurance remains separate (it's a mobile home, insured through AARP/Foremost). Haven't had any claims, but Nationwide is a major insurer and I wouldn't expect any tricks.

We have had Allied since 1999.  We started with the house and cars, and then added a motorhome, and when we sold the house we changed to full timers for the motorhome.  We couldnt be happier with them as their rates have been competitive and claims have been settled to our satisfaction or beyond as was the case when we had a hail damage claim on the house and one car.

YMMV

Paul

Thanks for your replies.  Could not believe how much lower Allied was compared to my present State Farm, and the Allied gives me more than double Liability/Bodily Injury coverage.  Homeowner's is also considerably less.  I felt that it "was too good to be true".  I always thought that Nationwide was a reputable company, but did not know anything about Allied.  Yes, I went through FMCA to get the quotes.  ;D

Regardless of whom you select as an insurer, it pays to educate yourself a bit about the subject.  While the premium is important and rate comparisons make sense, coverage comparisons are much more important.  Be sure your comparing apples to apples. My experience with Allied was not good.  Finding a phone number that worked was the first problem.  Then finding someone who actually understood the subject was another.  Do not assume, the person you talk to, the order taker, will fully appreciate your situation and your unique insurance requirements.  This is a great site to research the subject.  If you are full time, your insurance requirements are different from those that are part time.  Good luck

Just to add to GaryB's comment, not all insurers understand RVs.  They don't realize that it's both a house and a vehicle.  If you have a flat tire that causes a fire and it's totaled, how will they handle the claim?  Do they realize there is a microwave, a generator, television set(s), entertainment systems, household goods, etc.?  That's one reason many of us have used FMCA's insurance.

ArdraF

Thanks again for your comments.  I did do a spread sheet comparing coverages and premiums against my present insurer, and the other insurers I was considering.  Allied through FMCA seemed to offer the best coverage at the best rate. 

We have our coverages scattered, but our situation is somewhat unique.  We had our insurance in Texas through State Farm, so when we moved to Florida, cars stayed on State Farm.  No one else could touch the coverage price.  The home has to go on a specialty company due to home insurance problems in Florida-the big companies pretty much pulled out due to claims.  As to the RV, went with Allied.  Best rate, best reputation.

Would love to bundle, and if we could, I would go with Nationwide/Allied.

One package deal here with State Farm. Covers the stick & bricks, vehicles and RV. The Dodge Cummins and the Jayco both are on full coverage so they have towing and road side assistance if needed. No need for AAA, Good Sam Club or Coachnet. But to this day I've never been towed. 244k miles and still rolling.

Many insurers offer roadside assist or at least towing reimbursement. Just make sure the company that actually provides it understands the needs of RV towing and that the dollar or mileage limits are adequate for towing an RV. A $1000 tow is not unusual for a motorhome, for example. And you may need the services of a truck tire service for larger RV tires - sending a local gas station guy may not help.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Many insurers offer roadside assist or at least towing reimbursement. Just make sure the company that actually provides it understands the needs of RV towing and that the dollar or mileage limits are adequate for towing an RV. A $1000 tow is not unusual for a motorhome, for example. And you may need the services of a truck tire service for larger RV tires - sending a local gas station guy may not help.

I can that for people that own Diesel pushers. But standard travel trailer and standard pickup truck. Nothing special there.

Insurance rates, I am sure, vary from state to state, and county to county.  My State Farm insurance is twice what I am being quoted for Allied, and the coverage is greater.  Also, State Farm won't bundle my RV with the cars and home.  After putting all the info on a spread sheet, my State Farm agent has turned out to be no friend of mine for the past 40+ years.  Guess it proves the adage that "you shouldn't do business with friends".
Thank you all again for your input. :mad:

I wouldn't take it personally.
Your State Farm guy is a captive agent, meaning he can't quote multiple companies, and he can't change the rates.
Not worth losing a friend over.

Also, last time I checked, the "towing reimbursement" coverage in most policies is around 50-75 bucks. I've had bills exceed that for a simple car tow. 

1PlasticMan1 said:
My State Farm insurance is twice what I am being quoted for Allied, and the coverage is greater.  Also, State Farm won't bundle my RV with the cars and home.  After putting all the info on a spread sheet, my State Farm agent has turned out to be no friend of mine for the past 40+ years.  Guess it proves the adage that "you shouldn't do business with friends".
Thank you all again for your input. :mad:

RV insurance isn't underwritten by all insurers.  Those that don't insure a lot of RVers, will sometimes offer coverage on an accommodation basis to their long time insureds.  However, when they do, it can be at a high premium.  Check the quote from Allied carefully though, it might be that it's not apples to apples.  Be careful when you do a spreadsheet comparison.  What you're doing is comparing the cost, not the coverage.  Big difference and if you find, after the fact, that you don't have what you thought you did, it's money out of your pocket.  That's an unknown that can't be included in a cost comparison.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom