Suburban Hot Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGENT86

Does anybody know whether the tank on a 6-gallon Suburban hot water heater manufactured sometime mid 2005 is porcelain lined like the newer year models? Reason I ask is because the original owners of my 2006 Rockwood never maintained the tank/system at all. There is a LOT of crud inside the tank so much so that it had clogged all the faucets.

I pulled the anode & it's nearly gone. I will be living full-time starting June 1st & am concerned about the tank developing a leak due to inner rust/corrosion. I was going to replace the electric heating element & install a new anode and also do my best to flush the tank.

I wonder if I should just replace the whole unit though. I know it works, at least it did last time I had the trailer set up. It's been in storage over a year and a half now. I had that pink RV antifreeze in the system which seems to have crystallized inside the tank some.

Anyway, if the tank is not porcelain-lined I will replace & upgrade to a ten gallon unit. I was going to get the Atwood Tankless water heater but I prefer to be able to use the electric heating element when possible to conserve the propane for the stove.

Just from the top of my head.

If it has an anode rod it is probably not lined.  I do not think that Suburban made a glass lined 6 gal. water heater.  The crud can easily be rinsed out.

mandl

I wouldn't change it out now.  It's only 9 years old. There's probably still much life left to it. Just flush it out real good and replace the anode.  If te old anode still had a little bit of zinc (or whatever it is) on the rod, it was still doing it's job so there may not be any damage to the tank wall. If you're really concerned about a possible leak in the future, just shut off your water going to the RV when you're gone for any length of time.
A note when winterizing, you should not fill the tank with antifreeze. Just bypass the tank. Saves on cost of the pink stuff and if there is any crud left in your tank, it could act as a sponge with the antifreeze and may be difficult to flush out in the spring.

Thank you for the replies. I guess I'll flush it out & see how that goes.  Have a lot of other things I need to buy this month in preparation so if I can hold off on a tank & get by with a good flush & new anode that would be wonderful.

Wondering, can I replace the faucets with the quality type used in stick-built homes? I'll be removing the faucet this week but was just wondering. Also want to toss the shallow plastic sink & go with deeper/wider stainless steel.  I'll probably have to cut the sink opening a bit to accommodate the stainless one but that's ok with me. I know it will add more weight but that's not a concern with the way I plan to full-time.

Back
Top Bottom