Older Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc24

Is a 1990 Airstream Pinnacle 30' too old of a unit to Full Time in?

gc24 said:
Is a 1990 Airstream Pinnacle 30' too old of a unit to Full Time in?

Are you looking at buying one? If you are, have it inspected by a certified inspector or someone who has a lot of experience with RV's and would know what to look for.
All depends if the previous owner immediately took care of it with all issues when they came up. After all, it is 25 years old.
How many people would be living in it?

I don't think the age is important, but the condition is. The problem with a 1990 vintage is that many things are old enough to fail without much warning, simply because the materials are old/dry/deteriorated, seals are dry or misshapen, etc. Inspect everything very carefully to prevent surprises. Have both the house and the chassis/engine inspected by a reliable professional unless you feel competent to do it yourself. There are RV buying checklists in the RVForum Library.

I'm not sure about the Airstream Pinnacle in particular, but many RV's of that vintage will not be widebody models, and none of them will have slides.  Those features are certainly not required for fulltiming, but it may get awfully cramped without some extra interior space.

As others have mentioned (and floorplan/ interior design aside), condition and past maintenance will determine the potential usefulness of any 25-year-old RV.  Unfortunately, many rigs that age spent a lot of time sitting still (driveway, storage lot, barn, field, etc.) and that treatment generally does not bode well for long term roadworthiness.  The money that would  need to be spent to refurb such a unit is often well above what the RV is even worth.

I'll move this to the Fulltiming area and let some of those folks chime in.

We have a '93 Bounder 34, no slides. Previous owners took pretty good care of house part and it saw relatively light use. Engine blew in '09, cracked exhaust manifold torched dipstick and fried engine oil out of it. New long block was installed with no regard for heat shields, melted wires and never charged properly. Needed radiator, brakes gone through, auto park figured out ( unshielded hose melted), exhaust manifolds and some wheel bearings. Luckily I have the ability to figure stuff out and repair it.  We've been in it for 10 months now and are happy with it. 2 adults 1 medium dog. Took it for a few test drives as I was repairing it. First trip was 2800 miles form MA. to TX. We are not retired, we are in the TX oilfields shoveling money into the bank for our next adventure.

Bill

I decided to pass on it, now looking at a 1989 Establishment Class A 29', that has been reworked all over. Thanks for the info though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom