Is this a "Depends on who you ask" situation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billy Cavalry

Greetings from a newbie!
I'll get right down to my question and thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
My father passed leaving his 2005 Dodge quad cab 2500 long bed with a Cummings Diesel engine. Am facing a change in living arrangements due to my job. Rather than buy a travel trailer I would consider a slide in cabover camper; however, the documents that came with Dad's truck read that a camper of this style is not advised. Is this still correct now with the warranty expired or is this vehicle just not built for this type of load? Again thanks to anyone in the know!

The truck in question will have a 8800 pound GVWR as I remember.  Ready to go it will scale around 6500 7000 pounds.  Meaning 1800 pounds or so for a camper.  In that range your ony choices are going to be a pop up camper.  A TT you would be able to pull one around 90 pounds GVWR.  Meaning close to 30 feet long of nice quality.  The trailer would afford you room and comfort.  The camper would give you cramped space, but the ability to get way off road.  Your choice, but I would pick a trailer.

Well.  I have the SRW 06 Dodge 2500 4x w/Cummins and 6 speed manual.

...With the following mods.....
Firestone rear air bags (isolated w/individual air controls)
Hellwig Big Wing rear sway bar
Frame mounted tie downs
I run 10 ply E rated tires recommended for the truck (w/stiff sidewalls)
Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks

I run a 92 Lance 11.3 and pull a light boat/trailer and have since I bought the truck new in 06.
Most of the time I don't know I'm loaded.

Thank you all for your kind and informative replies. The documents I had referred to came in the package of owners manuals, supplemental publications and safety fliers from the manufacturer along with the rig when my dad purchased it. All in all a travel trailer may be my best option with the advice given here. Again, thanks to all who replied, need to change direction; and, press on!

Enjoy the truck.  You have a sought after vehicle.  Clean low mileage examples of these later 3rd generation  Cummins equipped Dodges are going up in value in many areas.

Even if you use it to tow rather than carry you should still make some upgrades.

Add additional fuel filtration.  Recommend and use Vulcan Max under the hood between OEM canister and HP pump.  This gets you gets you either 3 micron absolute w/Donaldson 551313 or 4 micro absolute w/Cat 1R-0750.  Also substitute a Baldwin 7977 (5 micron absolute) in the OEM filter canister.

For oil filters use the Donaldson ELF 7349.

Verify the filter numbers...i'm assuming there is no difference between the 05 and 06.

All of the recommended  changes from the earlier post remain recommended.

Dodge Cummins Forum is your friend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom