Tent Camping out of a Jeep...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

On Friday 05/08/15, a group of us are heading up to Mesquite, NV to travel off road 90 miles to Whitmore Point, AZ.

For the more adventurous traveler with a well equipped, four-wheel drive vehicle, some of the most spectacular scenic vistas in the world can be reached by driving south from Interstate 15 or Highway 89A. You can see the Grand Canyon from scenic viewpoints that are unknown to most, but you must be prepared to drive many miles of unpaved, sometimes rough and rocky roads on the Arizona Strip. Most who go to the time and effort of visiting these scenic overlooks agree that it is well worth the trip

The downside to this trip is that we are tent camping Saturday Night...ugh. I keep running all of the work required to set up camp through my mind, and then the weather is not going to be fully cooperative this weekend, the fact that I am an old fat man, and I see a tired, sore, and bleary eyed old man on Sunday by the time I get home.

Sounds fun to me. I bet (and hope) you have a great time, even if this not you typical modus operandi. Seems to me Jeep almost requires tent camping off the grid!
:) :) :)

Sounds great to me. I would just take it slow and steady as far as camp setup and takedown are concerned.

Interesting that that area is (most likely) in Mohave County. That is the same county I live in yet I would have to drive a good 4-5 hours to get to it, not to mention go through Nevada and possibly Utah! I have been there and the views are stunning.

Mike

Tinmania said:
Sounds great to me. I would just take it slow and steady as far as camp setup and takedown are concerned.

Interesting that that area is (most likely) in Mohave County. That is the same county I live in yet I would have to drive a good 4-5 hours to get to it, not to mention go through Nevada and possibly Utah! I have been there and the views are stunning.
Mike

I plan on a slow set up and tear down of my camp. Since I am a very early riser, I expect my tent, and sleeping gear will be stowed away by the time most of the folks stir out of their tents.

It's amazing how much gear one guy wants to take on a one night camping trip, except for food, beverages, and water I suppose you need as much gear for one night as three.

I still do a bit of tenting with scouts.

I have been re-building my backpacking gear kit, so I'm using smaller tents and backpacking pads.... well mine aren't the ultra hard core lightweight stuff, but fold up plenty small.
I'm using a thermarest Trail Pro http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/trail-pro/product, so no big cots or those huge air mattresses for me now....
The Trail Pro is surprisingly comfortable.  It's the key.  All the other gear is optional in my mind.

I keep it relatively simple so not a lot of stuff, and it's actually fun.  Good way to spend time with my son..... and it reminds me of what "camping" really is.

I have limits though, and have no interest in tenting in florida past April or so.... through to maybe October or November.... no way, not even with my little battery powered fan.

blw2 said:
I still do a bit of tenting with scouts.

I have been re-building my backpacking gear kit, so I'm using smaller tents and backpacking pads.... well mine aren't the ultra hard core lightweight stuff, but fold up plenty small.
I'm using a thermarest Trail Pro http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/trail-pro/product, so no big cots or those huge air mattresses for me now....
The Trail Pro is surprisingly comfortable.  It's the key.  All the other gear is optional in my mind.

I keep it relatively simple so not a lot of stuff, and it's actually fun.  Good way to spend time with my son..... and it reminds me of what "camping" really is.

I have limits though, and have no interest in tenting in florida past April or so.... through to maybe October or November.... no way, not even with my little battery powered fan.

I have packed and repacked the Jeep. My first attempt was feeble and half my gear was left on the ground. After numerous iterations and reduction in gear I think I have a winning combination. I have tent camped in my life far more than I have Rv'd, even so it has been several years since I have pitched a tent and/or prepared the ground for sleeping. I was amazed at the new "Car Camping" gear that folks are marketing these days...I became so enthralled that I dropped some dollars on new backpacking, I mean "Car Camping" gear.

In the olden days, car camping is what Okies did when they went on vacation, today it is in vogue. I was talking with a young(er) person at REI about all of the new gear and he made a point of telling me how he is into "Car Camping". I had to stifle a chuckle.

what kind of tent did you get?

Some of the dads in our cub scout pack have these coleman instant up tents.  I think there are other brands too....
they set up in maybe 2 minutes or less, for a nice sized cabin tent.

I recently replaced my old kelty with a REI half dome

My son and I just got back yesterday from a two day Rubicon Trail trip and got to tent camp for one night. Other than it being a little on the cool side (low about 34) it was actually pretty nice. It helped that someone else had already built the fire pit and had generously left us with a stack of kindling and another stack of dry split firewood... :D. Being the older guy that seems to be always cold, I opted for my mummy bag and even took a second sleeping bag to unzip and use for a blanket....stayed toasty all night. Wound up being a great trip...good weather and no breakage.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 29
Hey, i'm liking this.... back country camping... like backpacking, but without the ache!

Maybe I need to get a Jeep!...

blw2 said:
what kind of tent did you get?
I recently replaced my old kelty with a REI half dome

I spent two days looking at tents in every sporting goods store that Las Vegas has to offer...prices are from $10.00 up to the stratosphere, so I settled on what I hope will be a tent that lasts at least through this year. I bought a $44.95 two-person tent from Walmart (Ozark Trails). I looked hard at the REI Half Dome, but I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

Hey, I'm a firm believer that for occasional camping, and especially car camping... something like that from k-mart or even from Big Lots or the like is just fine....
The only reason I didn't go with one like that this time is that I was looking for something a bit lighter weight, since I am doing without the Jeep!
I really like the looks of those easy up models they have out now....

When i was first married, DW had a "3 man" tent she bought at Big Lots.  I had a nice "3 man" kelty that I had spent a bunch on.  We used hers for many years... it was easier to set up and a bit taller so I could almost stand up in it.
It probably wouldn't stand up to near the wind or weather mine would.... but we were car camping in state parks, not hanging off some mountain peak in a gale....

blw2 said:
When i was first married, DW had a "3 man" tent she bought at Big Lots.  I had a nice "3 man" kelty that I had spent a bunch on. 

Are you guys into threesomes?  ;D :D :eek: ::)

Oscar Mike said:
I spent two days looking at tents in every sporting goods store that Las Vegas has to offer...prices are from $10.00 up to the stratosphere, so I settled on what I hope will be a tent that lasts at least through this year. I bought a $44.95 two-person tent from Walmart (Ozark Trails). I looked hard at the REI Half Dome, but I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

John, that's what I did also.  I used to backpack and used to use an ultra lightweight big $ one. The kids have long since inherited it and the Wallymart $40 one works just fine.

We had a great time at Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument, there were 16 Jeeps, families, couples, and singles, and this old guy. Beautiful area, four wheel drive required in some places at least via the trails we took.

Attachments

• Parashant Grand Canyon 007.JPG
    Parashant Grand Canyon 007.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Parashant Grand Canyon 003.JPG
    Parashant Grand Canyon 003.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Parashant Grand Canyon 001.JPG
    Parashant Grand Canyon 001.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Grand Canyon Camping 015.JPG
    Grand Canyon Camping 015.JPG