Something Dripping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Everyone,

Well, it's a bit more calm around here.  Last of the turkey is gone, all visitors are gone; and even Tim is in Central California for a few days.  So it's quiet here. 

I wondered if any of you would have an idea what might be going on with the coach.  We have a leak around the front wheel on the inside and it looks like it's coming from around the axle ( I think) or possibly inside the wheel well.    I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but we have been so busy we havn't addressed it yet.  It appears to be "oily" and I thought I'd check on here to see if anyone has any idea what it might be.   

Any one have any Ideas?

Marsha~

Depending on what the drip is it could be grease from a front bearing seal.

Inner seal on front axle in more thatn likely leaking as Jeff stated.  Should be taken care of  You sure don't want that happening and getting of the brake pads.

Hi guys, Thanks.

I know it's hard to diagnosis a problem without seeing it, but my main concern is driving the coach to have it looked at. 

Jeff, the stuff is not grease, but some form of liquid that spreads out.  It feels like oil or hydraulic fluid...slippery and viscous.
If it is a seal, how does that go bad and what makes  it happen?  If it fails on one wheel, is it likely that the others will fail?  This is a DP with air brakes.

Marsha~

If you have the oil bath bearings, then it's most likely a leaking seal.  We had the same problem.  Get it fixed before the oil gets on the brake shoes.  If they soak up too much oil they will need to be replaced.  We got ours fixed in time so they were able to clean the shoes.  It doesn't follow that the other wheel will fail too, ours didn't.

If it feels like engine oil, probably wheel bearing as you've already been told. If it's a lighter, less viscous fluid, could be brake fluid or hydraulic fluid from your leveler pump or reservoir. Brake fluid has a distinctive smell; kinda solvent-like; hyd. fluid doesn't. Look for any wet areas above where you actually see the fluid. That could tell you where it's coming from.

Thanks everyone.  It's been sitting for about 6 weeks.  I noticed the drip about 3 weeks ago and the "puddle" isn't getting any bigger.  But with our luck this year, our brake pad is probably already soak, remember we are the ones who had a hawk fly into our windshield...how many people do you know who have had that happen to them?  We will be glad to get rid of 2006.

So I'm OK to drive it for about 20-25 miles?  <crossing fingers>

Marsha~

Marsha,

Yeah, you should be fine. Stay off the expressways and check the brakes a few times. If you smell anything pungent or see smoke (there may be a little when you start it until it gets warm), stop and get help. Don't continue to drive it. Check for proper oil pressure after you start it and from time to time along the way. Stop if it drops out of the normal region. 

Back
Top Bottom