New truck or truck camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanjr

I have a pop-up camper and a small truck (honda ridgeline) but really, really want to get a truck camper set up. My truck is paid for, low mileage and worth a decent amount. I do not have a lot of extra $ to get a new truck camper and a new truck (with trade in) but I could (assuming my CFO is kind to me) go either New truck camper with a used truck or New truck with a used truck camper. I guess my CFO, er wife may say go used/used.

My question-assuming limited money which is the better to get a new truck or a new camper? Better meaning cheaper and least number of repairs.

thanx for any input.

Personally I feel the truck is the platform you build off of.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do originally, 5th wheel, truck camper, etc.  I wound up getting a 1975 C30 Silverado which can tow anything.  It was really clean, rebuilt engine, newer paint job, crew cab, dually.  It took me a while to find but if you aren't in a hurry it can be worth the wait.  For $3750 I picked up a solid truck.  Worst case scenario is the engine or transmission fails at some point but I can replace either (no smog check!) for a lot less than the ridiculous price tag on trucks these days.  It is a gas hog, about 9 miles to the gallon but it'll take a lot of road trips to wind up costing me the extra 45k or so (plus interest) a new 1 ton would have cost.

Once that was squared I picked up a cheap, old truck camper for 1,000 just to see if the wife and I were happy with that size which we were.  I turned around and resold the truck camper for a little bit more since I put some elbow grease into a few restores and bought a newer truck camper.  Even the old truck camper was perfect for fishing trips with my brother, wife hated how old it was though.

Good luck with your hunt, definitely go used on the camper itself if money is tight, they take a huge depreciation hit.

Regards

You should get a truck first...... and then find a slide-in that is appropriate.  Does not HAVE to be a new truck, does it ?  A good used truck will save you some $$ and you can put that towards a better slide-in. 

YaddaYadda said:
You should get a truck first...... and then find a slide-in that is appropriate.  Does not HAVE to be a new truck, does it ?  A good used truck will save you some $$ and you can put that towards a better slide-in.

As a newbie to truck camping (but not trucks...or camping) I think you are right. A decent used truck is a good start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom