Wyoming state road 16 from Buffalo to Cody to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travel_sb

Has anyone made this trip recently towing and RV trailer or 5th wheel?  Concerns are possible over heating of brakes or transmission.  Other post I read elsewhere suggest there are some very bad spots to overcome when towing a heavy trailer.  Some years back did go over 14 and the Beartooth pass which for me was very scary.  Is 16 much, much easier.  Please comment.

Of the possible routes over the Bighorn mountains, US 14/US 14A (my favorite) is the steepest. US 14 is somewhat easier. US 16 is the easiest, but is also the least scenic. You really shouldn't have any trouble there.

You probably shouldn't even consider the 4th possibility, although it is fun. Red Grade Rd./F.R. 26/US14 involves a lot of very steep, one lane, dirt roads.

I have towed over all 4 of the routes, and they are all doable if you stay in a low enough gear to hold your speed down without using your brakes much.

Joel

travel_sb said:
Has anyone made this trip recently towing and RV trailer or 5th wheel?  Concerns are possible over heating of brakes or transmission.  Other post I read elsewhere suggest there are some very bad spots to overcome when towing a heavy trailer.  Some years back did go over 14 and the Beartooth pass which for me was very scary.  Is 16 much, much easier.  Please comment.

I've driven 16 from Buffalo to Yellowstone with no issues. 43 ft motohome with jeep towed.

ken

Then there's always the question of just because you can, should you? And I might argue that pulling a heavy trailer or 5th wheel is a different decision than a large motorhome, simply because of the mass that's trying to push your truck.

I always err on the side of caution. I value my equipment and I despise down time.

Each person has his own set of rules, so nobody can tell you whether your decision is right or wrong. But we all know that shortcuts can sometimes turn into longcuts.  8)

Just my few cents worth!

Kim

Thank you for the candid comments and thank everyone else.  I agree with you in whether I want to take the route on 16 or not.  Some years back we made the trip down the Beartooth highway towing an 8,000 lb travel trailer with a Ford F150, gasoline.  Now I own a Ford F250 single axle Diesel but the 5th wheel I have is heavy with nearly 2 tons resting on the hitch with an overall weight of some 5 tons.  So the trailer would definitely be pushing hard against the truck on any downhill stretch.  Its a tough decision because I know the Bighorns are very scenic and we do want to stop in Cody.  I know lots of folks make this run all the time but at what cost for some.  Again thanks.

We made that run from Cody, beautiful scenic road. We had a Brave motorhome with Ford V10 towing a 5000lb ford explorer. didn't have any problems. Just be sure to use trans braking along with service brakes on long grades.

Buffalo to Cody via 16 to Worland, 20 to Greybull and 14 to Cody with a fifth wheel. Beautiful ride, no problem. Only one steep descent before Ten Sleep but easy.  Use the Towhaul mode and take it slow. Plenty of room and turnouts. Two easy switchbacks. Piece of cake.

Back
Top Bottom