Roof Trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weewun

Have a little problem and will appreciate your advice.

Evidently, I have hit a tree limb and loosened/detached the trim that is covering the junction of the MH roof and driver's side wall.  The trim is still attached from where it bends down to follow the junction of the MH front plate and the drivers side wall.  It is not attached (away from the wall for about 4' from the front plate to the slide.

I will have to tap the front part back to the wall and am thinking about using screws and some sort of adhesive/sealant.  While I know I am going to use stainless or galvanize screws, I do not know what adhesive/sealant to use.

Thks for your input.

Hard to guess. Can you tell if the existing seal used a tape (probably butyl) or a squeeze-in caulk/sealer? If the squeeze type sealer, something like 3M Flexiclear Body Seam Seal (used on modern car seams) is one reliable choice. Geocel Proflex is another good one. and is available in multiple colors. 3M also makes a seam seal tape in various widths.

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Rule-Fasteners-Butyl-Tape/dp/B0099WVEUK
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08476-Seam-Sealer-Tape/dp/B000PJAWL8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=01HWB893SGNQFDNC0M6H
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08405-Flexiclear-Sealer-Cartridge/dp/B0015PKNDI/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431098005&sr=1-10&keywords=body+seam+sealer
http://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28127V-Bright-Flexible-Sealant/dp/B003VAWQYY

Gary, can't answer your question, I have to wait for Son or Grandson to come.  I am no longer allowed on ladders, getting old ain't easy.

I appreciate your input. 

Had originally thought about ultra high bond two sided tape without screws but there will be some tension on the trim unless I can get it perfectly straightened.  Thinking about using the UHB tape, screws and sealing the top and bottom edges, will this be overkill??

I'm not familiar with the roof seam construction on your Diplomat, so hard to say without getting my eyes on it. However, overkill is probably only a cost/effort concern.

Mine has a lower edge (wall joint) that is screwed through an aluminum molding backed with a putty tape. A friend's 2004 Endeavor is similar. There is probably a fairly substantial backing material there, so the screws hold well. If they pull out, a larger screw and more caulk is probably adequate, but it's a judgement call. I go by "feel" when driving screws in that situation, using experience to judge how well the screw is holding in the material.

Well, finally got around to repairing my, so I thought, Trim.  As it turned out what I thought was loose Trim was in fact the roof detaching from the side walls.  I have a metal roof and it is rounded on both side and overlaps the sidewalls by about 5 to 6 inches.

The roofing was attached using Pop Rivets and one #8 self tapping screw in the area worked on.  Evidently the Pop Rivets weren't long enough as they did not expand at the ends, drilled heads off and removed them from side wall with Needle Nose Pliers.  Replaced all with #10 stainless self tapping screws after putting sealant between the roof overhang and side wall, naturally used a couple extra screws. 

The portion of the roof that was pulled away was limited to about 3', the section between the front cap and the slide out.

The Trim was the easiest as it snapped to a track at the bottom of the roof overlap and covered the screws used to re-secure the roof. The Trim never came out of its track, the gap I was looking at was the roof overhang separated from the sidewall.

A friend had the same problem with his '04 Endeavor (sister to the Diplomat). First one side, and then the other several months later. Monaco did not do a stellar job with those roof-wall joints.

Gary, that is not encouraging news, I thought I had snagged a Tree limb, although I did not any scratches in the area.

My next project will be to check the entire length of the Roof on both sides.

I have a Little Giant ladder and, while I love its stability and sturdiness, I have a problem moving it.  That TV advertisement  showing the little old Lady carrying and adjusting it is deceptive.

Shall  get over there Thursday to finish inspection.

Back
Top Bottom