Lumber Liquidators flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
There are reports circulating about high formaldehyde levels in laminate flooring sold by Lumber Liquidators. We looked at LL as a source when we replaced our carpet floors in the S&B house a year or so ago. We opted to go with a different product from Lowe's which passes the test.

They said on the news last night that Lumber Liquidators has canceled their manufacturing contract with the Chinese company that was making their flooring product.  They were providing test kits to people with the product and they must have found a lot of problems!  Maybe this will make them bring their manufacturing back to the USA!  Wouldn't that be nice; provide more jobs here.

ArdraF

I should add that, so far, only their laminates are affected; Their engineered wood products have not been mentioned.

Tom, you are correct that only the laminate products are affected. This is due to the mdf and the resulting formaldehyde used to make the mdf for the laminate core.

Wood, wall board, fish. When are people just going to say No More Chinese products.  No over site or controls.

Still waiting for the first plane to fall out of the sky because of the importing of counterfeit parts.

Thanks Ernie. Too bad this happened to them; I was quite impressed with the guys and their products and, given my druthers, I would have purchased Bella, but Chris wanted laminate. Lowe's offered 50% off the material and labor, so that was it.

Tin man said:
Wood, wall board, fish. When are people just going to say No More Chinese products.  No over site or controls.

Still waiting for the first plane to fall out of the sky because of the importing of counterfeit parts.

And some years back most were saying the same thing about Jap crap!! Now most think that is the best things going! :eek:

Iron rat. You are right on, but the Jap crap didn't kill us, it was just junk.  China is a country with no scruples. 

As quick search showed the following products have also been seized in the past year:

Plastic children jewelry, dolls, Land based food items, Seafood raised in raw human sewage!
Dog food that kills dogs, Dog Treats that kills dogs Guitar cases, Luggage, Drywall ,Coal, Leather, Honey

All these products certain chemicals banned here in the US, yet China continues to ship this it to us.
Why?  Because we buy it!!  We want the cheapest items and are risking our health doing so.   

Many contain  heavy metals such as lead.  "Toxic metals, including "heavy metals," are individual metals and metal compounds that negatively affect people's health. Some toxic, semi-metallic elements.." OSHA

When I was raised in the 60?s I was taught to never buy anything made in Japan, Korea, or China as the product was cheaply built and not a good value.  Although today it will be much harder, and require an effort, I think it is time to have this attitude again.  I know that I am going to try.  China doesn?t care if it kills me; the US obviously can?t or won?t stop these products 100%, so I guess it is up to me to protect myself.

Have a smart phone or tablet, almost certainly made in China.  Have any Apple products, made in China.  Check the labels on your clothes, many made in China.  If we didn't buy any China made products, we'd be naked and out of communication :(

My Allergist in Clearwater when I lived there, built a new building.
He made them install the "engineered flooring" before they even put
in the drywall. He said he could not afford for it to be out-gassing
around his patients. He had researched this from a healthcare provider
point of view and said all flooring does this to some degree. He also
let the building set empty with the AC on for a month before he would
move in.

Yeah, LL got caught with their pants down. Now they are trying to do damage control.  They will recover, but it will cost them some market share, and a dent in the bottom line. 

Ned said:
Have a smart phone or tablet, almost certainly made in China.  Have any Apple products, made in China.  Check the labels on your clothes, many made in China.  If we didn't buy any China made products, we'd be naked and out of communication :(

You are almost right...one can find products Made Elsewhere but you have to really look. I don't know about my Windows Phone, but recently I went looking for a flask for an upcoming camping trip. I had to travel to a half dozen places, including Amazon to find an American Made flask. I paid a bit more, but it is worth it...IMO.

None of that is to say that I don't own any Chinese made products, I do. The more important factor is that I look for the "Made in" label before I buy, and if it is Chinese, I give it a second, and third thought. If not critical for my needs I keep looking.

Oscar Mike said:
I had to travel to a half dozen places, including Amazon to find an American Made flask. I paid a bit more, but it is worth it...IMO.

I find this statement amazing. How much "traveling" do your fingers have to do to find what your looking for?

I have a LL outlet in my area. Their doors been closed since this whole deal started. As far as I'm concerned, if it's just another business selling sub-par products to make their money, then I have no problem with LL running the gauntlet to save their butt. If it turns out to be fact, shame on them and let them suffer the consequences.

I have no problem with LL running the gauntlet to save their butt. If it turns out to be fact, shame on them and let them suffer the consequences.

I fully agree.. Till more companies fail to survive the law suits that come from selling the no-quality control Made cheaply in China stuff... IT WILL CONTINUE.

Once a few billion in damages have been paid out... Stores may look to the USA where they stand a chance of suing the supplier to recover their loss.

Televisions,,, ELEMENT TVs are made (well final assembly) in the US.. Alas many of the parts come from overseas But they put 'em together in, among other places, Canton, MI.. All in the US.

Japan is a large producer of air bags. They have killed there share of people.  They also snubbed there noses at the US Goverment.  We have sold our sole to the devil. Now we are paying the price.  That "sucking sound" is not only jobs leaving the country but the O2 going out of a lifeless body.

denmarc said:
I find this statement amazing. How much "traveling" do your fingers have to do to find what your looking for?

Really??? You're amazed that a guy would spend the day shopping?

Tin man said:
Japan is a large producer of air bags. They have killed there share of people.  They also snubbed there noses at the US Goverment.  We have sold our sole to the devil. Now we are paying the price.  That "sucking sound" is not only jobs leaving the country but the O2 going out of a lifeless body.

America is bleeding to death....of self inflicted wounds.  We wanted cheap.  We wanted huge returns on investment in the short term at the cost of our long term viability.  Well, we got it.  And we deserve everything we got.  We got fat, lazy, and complacent.  And we're a long way from rock bottom...though I suspect some of us will live long enough to see that.....

The sky is falling...  The sky is falling... and it's the fault of those GREEDY manufacturers who think they deserve to make a profit on their business investment.  Duh !!  ???

What we need to do, is bring all those good $8-10 per hour jobs, that Americans demand $35-50, full benefits and 100% retirement to perform, back from "over seas".  That'll show um !!.

Never mind that it's Robotics that got all those really good jobs, NOT foreign workers.  And the robots don't require benefits and retirement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom