Which Truck for the 5th wheel RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammybenjamin

I plan to purchase a good long lasting truck which can pull a 15000 ton RV - a 5th wheel like the Montana/BigHorn.

I have been debating for a while and not being able to make a final decision on getting a 2500 gasoline versus HD diesel truck or going to the 3500 diesel and lose the small mileage advantage of 2500's completely (18-20MPG) . Also short-bed or long-beb ?????  And what rear axle ratios ...... You see why I am so CONFUSED....too many variables ....Any thoughts?

I will be using the truck for city runs mostly and towing maybe 5-6 times a year. But it is extremely important I don't  break a sweat when going up the hill if the truck is going to make it or while coming down a steep mountain.

Any advise from experienced RV people will be helpful.

First....I think you are dreaming with the 18-20 mpg from a 2500, no matter what the dealer tells you.

Second.....with 15000 POUNDS behind you, I would go with as big a truck as you can

I am basing my understanding on mileage based on user reports and web forums:

http://www.carsdirect.com/buying-guides/best-diesel-trucks-for-2015
    2015 Ford F-450 : Up to 10 city/15 highway.
    2015 Ford F-250 : Up to 12 city/16
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD : Up to 12 city/16 highway
    2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD : Up to 22 city/28 highway/24 combined mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/car/gmc/sierra_2500_hd/2015

I would highly suggest 3500 Diesel. For that kind of weight there isn't a gasoline engine really design for that kind of weights. But diesel will do that kind of work for a faction of the cost even with the price of fuel being higher. Like to this day my diesel truck beat my gasoline power truck hand down either towing or empty for cost per mile.

Attachments

• fuel compare.png
    fuel compare.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 15
I will appreciate real concrete advise on the following :

1. Diesel or Gasoline (Petrol)?  --->  Leaning DIESEL. (thanks Mopar1973Man)
    2. 2500 or 3500 or 4500? --->  Leaning 2500
    3. Long bed or Short bed (with slider hitch). --->  Leaning Short bed
    4. Axle ratio ??? --->  No clue ???
    5. RAM, Sierra, Silverado, Ford ? --->  Leaning RAM/GMC
    5. Any other truck considerations?

Thanks much folks.

there are so many variable here

gas vs diesel = a gas truck is cheaper to buy, but a diesel will give you way more power and be cheaper on fuel and cheaper in the long run

long vs short = with the newer 5Er's and the concave corners a slider is not usually needed on today's short box trucks - a long box is nice because you have an extra 18 inch's or so of cargo room and they tend to have a slightly higher tow capacity

2500 vs 3500 = this is a no brainer 3500 all day every day. a 3500 has a higher payload and a 15000lbs trailer has a pin weight of about 2000lbs - (20% of the dry weight and your talking 15000lbs loaded) for the extra $300 or $400 for a 3500 over a 2500 this is a mute question and if you ever get a diff trailer you can handle it

you didn't ask dually or srw = all of today's trucks have an active handling system to counter trailer sway. a dually will give you added control added weight capacity and added costs + plus they suck on winter roads my trailer is 15500 fully loaded my weight towing capacity is 17100 i have firestone air bags set at 55lbs and a srw with no issues at all

dodge vs chev vs ford = this is where it get personal i like chevys it a pavement princess Duramax with the Allison is a great combo and its smooth as a babies bottom on the highway. The Dodge has the Cummins which is an awesome powerplant and in my opinion the nicest interior, but in a recent article comparing the three the reviewers said over a long days travel it was the least comfortable (their words not mine). The Ford is outdated and changing for 2017 however its current platform is tried true and tested and there is a reason oil guys and construction people like them they have some great features (like aux switches) and a solid front end - it drives like a heavy duty work truck (that's not a slam).

all three have pluses and minuses all three are good and all three have their followers and distracters so it boils down to which YOU like the best

sammybenjamin said:
I will appreciate real concrete advise on the following :

1. Diesel or Gasoline (Petrol)?  --->  Leaning DIESEL. (thanks Mopar1973Man)
    2. 2500 or 3500 or 4500? --->  Leaning 2500yea right!  Simply put, there is NO, NONE, ZIP, ZERO 2500 series Truck that can safely handle the pin weight of a 15,000 pound fifth wheel without exceeding the trucks GVWR, GCWR hy a significant margin
    3. Long bed or Short bed (with slider hitch). --->  Leaning Short bedyour chice.  Personally I like a long bed for the added storage and not needing a more expensive slider hitch
    4. Axle ratio ??? --->  No clue ???  With one ofnthe GM twins there is no choices.  With Ram or Ford you still have a choice, personally I like my 4.10 rear end equipped dually.  When towing I still get 10.5-11.5 MPG
    5. RAM, Sierra, Silverado, Ford ? --->  Leaning RAM/GMCAgain, your choice based on personal preference.  Any of the current crop of diesels will work well.
    5. Any other truck considerations?

Thanks much folks.

Long bed will give better stability in windy conditions over a short wheel base.

For interstate travel and general highway I would look at 3.55 gear (optimally) or 3.73 (more torque but limits speed).

For 15,000 pounds I would still consider the 3500. Because this give more buffer room where a 2500 would be at it limits.

As for power plant. (Personally) I still take a Cummins over a Duramax or Ford. I've been around lots of different diesel trucks and still hands down Cummins is the most reliable engine out there that clear the one million mile mark more than the others.

Like I typically post here is my tow team..

Attachments

• towteam.jpg
    towteam.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 28
1. Diesel without question.
2. 3500 minumum with that weight. You really need to do some homework with weights.
3. I like the short bed for ease of parking and looks. However, many campers with your size trailer will go with a long bed dually.
4. 3.73 should do the trick and give you decent milage, but forget about 18-20 mph. Never going to happen. A 4.10 rear is what you would probably get with a dually and again, it's about what you are comfortable with. I think most heavy trailers can be towed with either a SRW or DRW 3500, but as you will find out, it's more about what you feel safe towing your big trailer with.
5. This is more of a personal decision. I have owned all three diesels, Ford, Dodge and GMC. Here is my opinion, any of the 3 will work. Ford has had some problems in the past with the 6.0 so they got a bad rap for while. Dodge has improved big time with their interiors and the Cummins is a proven motor and you can buy them with the Aisin transmission which competes with the Allison. Problem that I found with the Dodge when I bought my GMC 2500 is their payload. It was far less than my GMC and the Ford. With a Dodge 3500, I am not sure how the payload compares with the Ford or GMC. GMC has a great combo with a Duramax motor and Allison transmission and it drives like a SUV instead of a truck. When we drove all three I found the ride in the Ford and Dodge more like a truck and so did my wife. She was all in with the GMC and that convinced me.

I would find the trailer you are going to buy first, calculate the pin weight and then look for a truck that you like that has the specs that will safely pull the trailer. Drive all brands and try a dually and ask a lot of questions.

Good luck, Stan

Different point of view..

Buy yourself a used, low mileage MDT and a new RAM 1500 diesel.. it will be cheaper than buying a  new 3500 and you will have the best of both worlds...and you can get a bigger trailer if you want...

grassy

With that kind of weight, I personally wouldn't go with anything less (most likely more) than what we have, which is 6.7 Diesel, longbed, dually... which get's like 9-12 towing on East Coast.  Just one perspective though.

jje1960 said:
With that kind of weight, I personally wouldn't go with anything less (most likely more) than what we have, which is 6.7 Diesel, longbed, dually... which get's like 9-12 towing on East Coast.  Just one perspective though.

That would be about right...  ;)

I'm  familar with both 2500 and 3500 GM. I still have my GMC 2500HD SLT CC short bed that pulled both trailers, our first 07 Carriage Cameo 12k empty and 14.5 loaded. Then went to our current Carriage Carri Lite 14.6 empty and 16.5 loaded. Both towed great with no problems, wind and trucks blowing by had no effect.  However the 16.5 with 3600lbs pin weight was over by 3k pulling and 1k pin. The trucks are both 2008 newer ones have greater capacity.  The 3500 has the same engine and tran y but adds DRW for more pin weight and 16.3k towing. Know I'm  only over a little, tows great with reduced porpoising. 3500 dually has long bed. More truck is always better. I actually like the dually ride better when unhitched. Safe travels

Jere and Laur said:
I'm  familar with both 2500 and 3500 GM. I still have my GMC 2500HD SLT CC short bed that pulled both trailers, our first 07 Carriage Cameo 12k empty and 14.5 loaded. Then went to our current Carriage Carri Lite 14.6 empty and 16.5 loaded. Both towed great with no problems, wind and trucks blowing by had no effect.  However the 16.5 with 3600lbs pin weight was over by 3k pulling and 1k pin. The trucks are both 2008 newer ones have greater capacity.  The 3500 has the same engine and tran y but adds DRW for more pin weight and 16.3k towing. Know I'm  only over a little, tows great with reduced porpoising. 3500 dually has long bed. More truck is always better. I actually like the dually ride better when unhitched. Safe travels

They changed frames in 2010 and bodies in 2015 now the Single Rear Wheel 3500 has a tow capacity of 17100 lbs and a payload of 4264 the dually is 5205 payload and 22600 5th wheel towing

3500 all times, otherwise you will be over payload on a 2500.

For our first 40' Montana, we had a 2014 RAM 2500 4x4 short bed with the 3.73 rear end. It did great, but the trailer pushed the cargo capacity. It did get 20-21 mpg on the highway, about 16-17 in town, and 11-13 towing that trailer (depending on the terrain.) Loved it! When we traded up to the Big Sky, we pulled it home with the 2500, but traded it for a 3500 RAM 4x4 DRW with the 3.73. The Big Sky put us over the cargo capacity by 1,000 lbs, by the time we added all our "stuff." It gets 19 mpg on the highway, 15 in town, and 10-13 towing this heavier trailer (again-depending on the terrain.) We loved driving the 2500 short bed, but it didn't take that long to get used to the dually. I can drive it anywhere I need to go.

THANKS TO YOUR RESPONSES , IT IS MAKING MY DECISION MAKING EASIER AND FASTER :)

Here are my decisions and remaining considerations (->):

1. Diesel or Gasoline (Petrol)?    DECIDED DIESEL.
    2. 2500 or 3500 or 4500?    DECIDED 3500
    -> 3. SRW Or DULEY ? Prefer SRW Leaning Duley ?
    4. Long bed or Short bed (with slider hitch).  DECIDED LONG

-> 5. Axle ratio ? --->  Advised : 3.73 SRW or 4.10 Duley (need decent fuel mileage)
    -> 6. RAM, Sierra, Silverado, Ford ? --->  Leaning CHEVY SILVERADO/SIERRA for a Smoother Duley ride.
    -> 7. Do I need AIR suspension added to the truck? RAM offers this option.
    8. Any other truck considerations?

Based on the advice what I might get : Current state only subject to change :)
- 2015 Dutchmen Voltage 3600 (14500 pounds)
- 2013 Chevy Duramax 3500 4x4 Crew Cab LTZ Z71(SRW or Duley ?)

Special THANKS to Steveblonde for a detailed response.
Also Thanks to: Mopar1973Man 0- Cool picture :) ,  poncho62,  donn,  donuts (Stan),  grassy,  jje1960 (Jim),  Gary RV Roamer,  Jere and Laur and  RVRAC

If you go with one of the GM twins the only option is 3.73.  There is no other options.  Personally I love my 4.10 dually.  I can pull all day with the cruise control set at what ever speed I choose and still get a decent 10.5 to 11.5 MPG.  The key to axle ratios is getting the one that has the motor turning at the low to middle of its power band and what ever speed you decide is best for you.  For my truck the 4.10 rear end puts me at about 1850 RPM at 65 MPH fully loaded.  My motors power band starts at 1700 RPM, so 1850 is near the bottom end.  70 unloaded is nearly the same at 1900 RPM.  That gives me 17MPG.  Drop my speed to 55 and it climbs to a real world 18MPG.

I have located these Chevy Silverado vehicles and here is my opinion about them:

3500HD  LTZ DRW Long box Diesel - 4.10 Axle Ratio - $ 56000
- Rough rids with 80% of the road bumps transferred on to the seat inside
- Rides well on smooth roads like small truck
- Has 3rd seat in front
- Higher tow capacity
- Hard to find correct parking in city settings.

3500HD  High Country SRW Short box Diesel - 4.10 Axle Ratio - $55,000
- Rides smooth as like a large SUV'
- Smooth ride with only 20% of the road bumps transferred to seat inside.
- Lower tow capacity
- Better resale value
- Easier to park in city settings

Do I need the additional Air Suspension Assist ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom