Help with velcro on bunk ends of a kodiak by skamper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodges

Hi all;
Hoping someone has dealt with this before. the bunk ends on my Kodiak by Skamper have a ring of velcro that hold the canvas to the steel door. this is detached from the door. initially it was glued on with the most horrible glue ever. I removed it and stripped all the glue off from the metal, and most from the velcro. I attempted to re attache it with some locktite go2glue it did not work. I then tried some superglue which seems to hold but is brittle.

What i'm looking for is a glue that would work, OR a complete departure from glue entirely if anyone has done this. I was thinking perhaps snaps but they may interfere with the seal.

Any help you could give would be great.

You can buy Velcro with a sticky back.  http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Sticky-Back-Black/dp/B00006IC2L

Ned said:
I would try contact cement.
Me, too.  Just make sure you follow directions and coat both the Velcro and the metal and wait until it enough to lose it's tackiness before sticking together.  Also, it helps to pop-rivet or drive a small short screw at the very ends of the Velcro to keep it from starting to pull loose when you separate the Velcro halves.

I borrowed my wife's hot glue gun and put a bead of hot glue around the edges of the Velcro.  Messy job and you have to be careful but the sticky back Velcro no longer peels up in a couple of weeks.

I've used 'Industrial Super Stick' Velcro with better results.  At least it lasts longer.

Back
Top Bottom